Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
are companies getting wise ? (Read 6,438 times)
sandy111

are companies getting wise ?
May 22nd, 2013 at 8:48pm

Are call providers twigging? I used the alternative number on the 0870 search only to be told by auto recording to phone the original 0870 number then cut me off! Sad  hope not! What do people think x

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Re: are companies getting wise ?
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2013 at 4:04pm

This happens quite a lot when alternatives get popular, it would help if you posted the name of the company and the two numbers in question so that they can be checked out and the database amended if necessary.

P.S. I don't think this has much to do with Call Providers.
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2013 at 4:05pm by kasg »  

IP Logged

Alegna

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2013 at 12:31pm

Definitely are twigging. I'm no longer confident about using these alternatives as so many are "no longer in use", "number has been changed", "you have dialled an incorrect number".

These companies are losing a big chunk of new, easy profit 0870/0845 revenue!

Just hope phone providers will eventually be pressurised to treat these as standard calls, considering they are more common than landline numbers nowadays! Angry

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2013 at 4:37pm

Alegna wrote on May 27th, 2013 at 12:31pm:
Definitely are twigging. I'm no longer confident about using these alternatives as so many are "no longer in use", "number has been changed", "you have dialled an incorrect number".

These companies are losing a big chunk of new, easy profit 0870/0845 revenue!

Just hope phone providers will eventually be pressurised to treat these as standard calls, considering they are more common than landline numbers nowadays! Angry

This site works by listing alternatives that are found to work. It is maintained by volunteers, rather than being a subscription service that is "consumed" by users.

It is most effective where everyone pitches in by advising of alternatives that they find as well as those that are listed but which are defunct. Where someone finds an alternative that does not work and fails to report it, in so doing they are leaving other users to follow in their footsteps by wasting their time ringing it. People who do not report non-working numbers are clearly only thinking of one thing: themselves.

I am one of the volunteers that help out with administration of the database and finding numbers. I do so because I see it as a useful service which helps people avoid unjust Service Charges (that are associated with various 08 numbers). As such, I would much prefer it if those who only wish to "take out" of the alternative numbers database and not make it better would go away. Indeed, I think it would be great if they set-up an alternative numbers service where subscription payments covered the cost of staff to check numbers as it may be able to provide a more reliable service.

If it is the case that many people wish to treat this resource like this then we will all suffer as the quality of the listings goes down.

The Unbundled Tariff to be introduced over the next couple of years will be a much-needed major reform of these numbers. It will make clear the levels of Service Charges that all users of these numbers enjoy. I believe that many of them will not be able to sustain such charges when they are brought into the open.

Including numbers that carry a Service Charge in packages or bundles means that telephone users in general must pay for the Service Charges, irrespective of whether they make such calls. For that reason I strongly oppose inclusion of such numbers in packages. It is the misuse of these numbers which is the issue, and the exposure of the Service Charge is the first step to kicking this issue into touch.

The fair telecoms campaign will be publishing information about the Unbundled Tariff soon. We are urging customers of organisations that use 084 numbers to ask them The Big Question.
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2013 at 7:47pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

rfctabs

Solihull West Midlands
Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 11:28am

sandy111 wrote on May 22nd, 2013 at 8:48pm:
Are call providers twigging? I used the alternative number on the 0870 search only to be told by auto recording to phone the original 0870 number then cut me off! Sad  hope not! What do people think x

Sometimes the alternative landline number will only work if you dial it from outside the landline network, i.e. from abroad or using a mobile. The HMRC numbers used to be like that, IIRC - dial the alternative from a landline and you got the "please dial again on 084nnnnnnn" message, but dial from a mobile and it worked OK. Maybe this was something similar?

Alegna wrote on May 27th, 2013 at 12:31pm:
These companies are losing a big chunk of new, easy profit 0870/0845 revenue!Angry

They have been doing that for some time because due to changes in the rules these numbers can no longer generate revenue for their registered keepers - that's why they are being included more widely in phone bundles for both landlines and mobiles (although not universal yet: check your own contract to be sure what's included/excluded) and also why many companies are switching to 0844/0843/0871/0872 and similar, because these do still generate revenue.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge