Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Talk Talk. Simply Broadband. (Read 14,283 times)
bigjohn
Supreme Member

Talk Talk. Simply Broadband.
Oct 2nd, 2013 at 6:51pm

TalkTalk have launched a  cheap service for those who only need basic broadband and no calls. Known as  Simply Broadband the service is only £2.50/mth plus line rental.
There's a 12-month contract.

You get 12 months' unlimited download broadband with speeds of up to 16Mb for £2.50/mth.

You have to take TalkTalk line rental. It's normally  £15.40/mth but you can opt to pay £126 for a year upfront, equivalent to £10.50/mth.

If you pay the line rental upfront, the total package is £156 over the 12-month contract, equivalent to £13/mth.

If you need  a new phone line you would normally  pay a connection  fee of £50 (currently half price at £25 for a limited time).

https://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/broadband/simplybb

There is a Call limit: £20 a month unbilled call limit. If you exceed the call limit your line will be barred from making outgoing calls (excluding calls to the emergency services). You remain liable for call charges in excess of the £20 limit

All calls will be charged at the standard rate except calls to TalkTalk customers which are inclusive up to a max of 180 mins, then charged at standard rates.
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2013 at 7:02pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Talk Talk. Simply Broadband.
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 6:52pm

Is this the first "naked ADSL" service?

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 10:10pm

Dave wrote on Oct 2nd, 2013 at 6:52pm:
Looks that way.

I never thought this would happen over here knowing how companies try and operate.

The UK must be one of very few countries that haven't, until possibly now, adopted this.

Hope it catches on  Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2013 at 10:11pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 12:28pm

Dave wrote on Oct 2nd, 2013 at 6:52pm:

After making this posting, bigjohn added a link giving more information. This is not naked ADSL.

Pricing information for SimplyBroadband, including call rates, is here.

The main points are:
  • Cost of the service:

• £17.90 per month (£15.40 line rental + £2.50) paid on a monthly basis, or;

• effectively £13 per month by paying 12 months' of line rental upfront for £126, plus the £2.50 per month.

• Weekday daytime geographic, 03, 0845 and 0870 calls cost 9ppm + a 15p connection charge.

• Evening and weekeing geographic, 03, 0845 and 0870 calls cost 1.53ppm + a 15p connection charge.

• "Unlimited" downloads.

• Call usage limit of £20.

• Fibre broadband "up to 38Mbps" is an additional £10 and "up to 76Mbps" is £15 extra.

• Add-ons in the form of "Boosts", including:

• Anytime UK calls for £5.50

• 100 landline to mobile minutes for £3

So, SimplyBroadband including anytime UK calls costs £8 per month (plus line rental). TalkTalk Plus offers anytime calls and ADSL broadband with "unlimited" download quantity for £15.50 per month. What else is included in the latter that may make the extra £7.50 worthwhile? Huh
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2013 at 7:34pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 7:55pm

Could it not still be Naked ADSL?  Could the calls be going through VoIP in which case it's still Naked ADSL.

I know it's probably not but at least TalkTalk are offering a good deal (compared to others out there) for those that just need a line for broadband purposes as calls go through mobile due to the good value tariffs out there compared to landlines!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 8:29pm

It's definitely not naked ADSL.

One reason why they might be doing it so cheaply is because of the uptake of fibre to the cabinet broadband which has resulted in the ADSL exchange equipment being used less and less. They are simply looking to generate some income on an investment that what would otherwise lie unused.
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2013 at 8:31pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 3:11am

Whilst Talk Talk Plus without TV still exists, it appears they only promote TalkTalk SimplyBroadband,TalkTalk Superpowered Fibre with SimplyBroadband and TalkTalk Plus TV, broadband and phone now.

www.talktalk.co.uk

« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2013 at 3:35am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 11:59am

bbb_uk wrote on Oct 3rd, 2013 at 7:55pm:
Could it not still be Naked ADSL?  Could the calls be going through VoIP in which case it's still Naked ADSL.

I know it's probably not but at least TalkTalk are offering a good deal (compared to others out there) for those that just need a line for broadband purposes as calls go through mobile due to the good value tariffs out there compared to landlines!

Technically "Naked ADSL/DSL" is provided without a phone line or at least without the commitment of a monthly line rental charge.

A Naked Broadband service technically exists in the form of Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) which does not require line rental to be taken as part of the service.

Just my 2p's worth.

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 12:16pm

CJT-80 wrote on Oct 4th, 2013 at 11:59am:
Technically "Naked ADSL/DSL" is provided without a phone line or at least without the commitment of a monthly line rental charge.

I think you meant "provided without a phone number or the ability to make calls" i.e. the line isn't made active for making phone calls on. Smiley The only signal on the wiring is broadband.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2013 at 12:17pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 3:54pm

bigjohn wrote on Oct 4th, 2013 at 3:11am:
Whilst Talk Talk Plus without TV still exists, it appears they only promote TalkTalk SimplyBroadband,TalkTalk Superpowered Fibre with SimplyBroadband and TalkTalk Plus TV, broadband and phone now.

www.talktalk.co.uk

Thanks bigjohn. I confess I too noted that from the homepage there appears no way one would learn of TalkTalk Plus, yet SimplyBroadband is there.

I would be interested in hearing of any distinguishing features of SimplyBroadband + Anytime UK Calls vs TalkTalk Plus. As I say, the former is £8 and the latter is £15.50 (both plus line rental).

The only difference I can see is is the limit of £20 on calls for SimplyBroadband.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2013 at 6:52pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 6:32pm

Ian G wrote on Oct 4th, 2013 at 12:16pm:

I think you meant "provided without a phone number or the ability to make calls" i.e. the line isn't made active for making phone calls on. Smiley The only signal on the wiring is broadband.

Clearly you appear to know more about it than I appear to know!

My point was that as far as I am aware, you have to pay a "line rental" in order to have ADSL Broadband and Fibre Broadband in the UK.

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #11 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 6:59pm

A Naked Broadband service technically exists in the form of Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) which does not require line rental to be taken as part of the service.

Just my 2p's worth.

Smiley
for ADSL an actual line has to go from exchange to your house hence the need for landline.  The difference for Naked ADSL is, in this circumstances, is an actual line is still there but the facility to make calls isn't possible via POTS.

I believe calls can still be offered but via VOIP.

Yes, FTTP has no landline needed but it's probably cheaper to get FTTC with landline than FTTP.  However, I admit I haven't checked this.

A similar thing happened with VM broadband.  They charged so much for just broadband that it was cheaper to get non-VM landline and ADSL/FTTC broadband.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2013 at 7:03pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge