Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Expensive 118 Directory Enquiries Calls. (Read 6,702 times)
bigjohn
Supreme Member

Expensive 118 Directory Enquiries Calls.
Nov 17th, 2013 at 2:40am

"Phone users are being charged up to £5 to obtain a single number from directory enquiries.
In a shocking rip-off, the cost spirals further if customers agree to be connected to the number, because each extra minute costs £5.
Citizens Advice raised the alarm about the extortionate prices after one man told them he had been charged more than £100 for a single call to a 118 number.
The mobile phone company O2 has set the minimum charge for calling 118 numbers at £5 – compared with £3 previously."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2508190/Mobile-phone-users-charged-5-min...

This MSE article http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/directory-enquiries-free  explains how to get free or cheaper  directory enquiries info.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2013 at 2:50am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Expensive 118 Directory Enquiries Calls.
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 12:06pm

On Sunday my landline internet connection went down as my router lost all its settings during a re-configuration attempt.  I then realised I had no phone number to call my ISP with as the only numbers I could get hold of were on their website (they bizarrely did not send their phone number in their original welcome emails).

I therefore drove half a mile to my nearest phone box presuming I could get the number for free only to find that money was demanded when I tried to call 118500 (I think it was a minimum 60p charge but this clearly not the charge per minute for speaking to them).  I then called the BT Operator and asked what were the charges for various different DQ services I was aware of such as BT's historically cheaper (only one number search allowed) 118 707 and numbers such as 118 111.  The Payphone Operator could not tell me any of these prices but could only give me the rate for their own Payphone DQ service on I think 118246.

They said only Payphone Customer Services might know call rates to DQ services of other network operators but they were closed on a Sunday!!!!!

In the end I belatedly realised I could get the number on my little used Smartphone and so got hold of it that way but I think it is totally shocking that BT alllow Payphone customers to be thrust in to the hands of DQ sharks when they make no effort to provide a modern electronic means of looking phone numbers up for free in their phone boxes.

BT's strategy actually seems to be to closed these boxes down as soon as possible by making them so inconvenient and expensive to use that no will ever use them.  At that point they will then claim there is no longer a demand for the service.  The Royal Mail plays much the same tricks with its ludicrously early last collection times for mail posted on a Saturday.

As for the business of allowing people to be connected to the desired number without telling them it is going to cost several quid a minute clearly this should never have been allowed if these rates were going to be charged and if the facility was to be offered then the continued call rate after ceasing speaking to Directory Enquiries should have been limited to some far, far, lower amount.

Unfortunately the lunatics have long since taken over the asylum at OfCoN so all too predictably no such protections of the citizen consumer are in place. Shocked Angry Cry

<div style=

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Re: Expensive 118 Directory Enquiries Calls.
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 1:19pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 12:06pm:
On Sunday my landline internet connection went down as my router lost all its settings during a re-configuration attempt.  I then realised I had no phone number to call my ISP with as the only numbers I could get hold of were on their website (they bizarrely did not send their phone number in their original welcome emails).

I therefore drove half a mile to my nearest phone box presuming I could get the number for free only to find that money was demanded when I tried to call 118500 (I think it was a minimum 60p charge but this clearly not the charge per minute for speaking to them).  I then called the BT Operator and asked what were the charges for various different DQ services I was aware of such as BT's historically cheaper (only one number search allowed) 118 707 and numbers such as 118 111.  The Payphone Operator could not tell me any of these prices but could only give me the rate for their own Payphone DQ service on I think 118246.

They said only Payphone Customer Services might know call rates to DQ services of other network operators but they were closed on a Sunday!!!!!

In the end I belatedly realised I could get the number on my little used Smartphone and so got hold of it that way but I think it is totally shocking that BT alllow Payphone customers to be thrust in to the hands of DQ sharks when they make no effort to provide a modern electronic means of looking phone numbers up for free in their phone boxes.

BT's strategy actually seems to be to closed these boxes down as soon as possible by making them so inconvenient and expensive to use that no will ever use them.  At that point they will then claim there is no longer a demand for the service.  The Royal Mail plays much the same tricks with its ludicrously early last collection times for mail posted on a Saturday.

As for the business of allowing people to be connected to the desired number without telling them it is going to cost several quid a minute clearly this should never have been allowed if these rates were going to be charged and if the facility was to be offered then the continued call rate after ceasing speaking to Directory Enquiries should have been limited to some far, far, lower amount.

Unfortunately the lunatics have long since taken over the asylum at OfCoN so all too predictably no such protections of the citizen consumer are in place. Shocked Angry Cry

Originally I never understood the reason for killing the wonderful 192 DQ service.. but clearly now I do...

To extort as much money as possible out of the consumer whilst making out that it's in their interest that we have competition!

Clearly that's the reality and it stinks!
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2013 at 1:20pm by CJT-80 »  

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge