Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Budget Air. 0843 22 44 906. (Read 19,092 times)
bigjohn
Supreme Member

Budget Air. 0843 22 44 906.
Dec 1st, 2013 at 7:03pm

How odd ! Budget Air claim it cost 10 p a minute to call their 0843 number which is  G6 band 5.11p a minute from a BT line with a 15p service charge,

http://www.budgetair.co.uk/customerservice

Note: Strangely enough just after posting this i noticed that http://www.humbersideairport.com/about-us/contact-us/ also claimed their 0844 number was charged at 10p a minute.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2013 at 7:21pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Ian G

Re: Budget Air. 0843 22 44 906.
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2013 at 8:08pm

The 80% of callers that are not using a BT landline find the quoted prices irrelevant.

Those calls cost 5p to 12p/min from landlines, depending on which network is used. The connection fee can be up to 16p/min.

From mobiles, these calls cost 8p to 41p/min, again varying by network.

The Service Charge, currently hidden within the call price and soon to be separately declared, is about 7p/min.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2013 at 8:20pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2013 at 8:45pm

Ian G wrote on Dec 1st, 2013 at 8:08pm:
The 80% of callers that are not using a BT landline find the quoted prices irrelevant.

Those calls cost 5p to 12p/min from landlines, depending on which network is used. The connection fee can be up to 16p/min.

From mobiles, these calls cost 8p to 41p/min, again varying by network.

The Service Charge, currently hidden within the call price and soon to be separately declared, is about 7p/min.

Looks like  your  teaching me to suck eggs !   Shocked

« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2013 at 8:53pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 8:25am

The point is this, looking up prices for these numbers is so complicated and confusing that very many people get it wrong.

Price lists from landline operators do not directly contain entries detailing the cost of calling 0843, 0844, 0871, 0872 and 0873 numbers.

Only 0845 and 0870 are directly listed. For the others, you first have to look up the tariff code. You and I know how this works, but very many people miss this step and simply assume that these numbers cost the same to call as 0845 and 0870. Others just invent what they think the price might be.

The good news is that clarity and transparency is coming. No longer will users of these numbers be quoting the call price that applies to less than 20% of callers. They'll quote something that all callers can relate to.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 10:35am

Good Morning,

I actually think it's better to put a Minimum call cost PLUS the fact a "connection" fee will be charged on top...

It didn't take me 2 mins to find this guide to call costs from Ofcom...  Companies should be pro-active in putting clearer call charges based on the Ofcom info... it's a start at least...

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 11:15am

I wouldn't find mention of a "minimum call cost" to be helpful.

"Calls to 0845 numbers cost a minimum of 0p/min."

"Calls to 0844 numbers cost a minimum of 1p/min."

Both of those are completely misleading. That's no better than quoting BT's call pricing. Many people pay 35p to 41p/min when calling these numbers.

CAP reckon they are constrained by legislation which requires only the call costs charged by the company that has the largest market share to be quoted. With 40% of the landline market, that's BT. Unfortunately, BT has the least typical prices of all providers. It's also a completely ridiculous requirement given that more than 50% of all calls now originate from a mobile phone.

The only part of the non-geographic call cost that can be reliably quoted by a user, is the part they are both responsible for and benefit from: the Service Charge.

There's no need for businesses to quote the range of prices for calling 01, 02 and 03 numbers; these are "standard" or "basic" rates. Callers should instinctively know what they are charged (if anything at all) for calling these numbers.

When the "unbundled tariff" system is in place, connection fees will be scrapped on calls to 084, 087 and 09 numbers. Additionally, the current 200-page price guides covering 084, 087 and 09 numbers will be redundant. Each network will quote only a single access charge per tariff covering all 084, 087 and 09 numbers. Crucially, the Access Charge for 084, 087 and 09 numbers will feature in equal prominence in price lists to the call price details for 01, 02 and 03 numbers.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2013 at 5:39pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 1:30pm

Ok,

I am not sure where you read the info from but I found this:

Chargeable 08 Business Rate numbers
These are used by large and small businesses for sales, enquiry and
customer service lines and for some pay-as-you go internet access
services.
0843 and 0844
How much do calls cost? Calls are charged between 1p and 13p per
minute for landline customers. Calls from mobile phones are typically
charged between 20p and 41p per minute, depending on the provider and the number
called.
  It's a LOT less misleading than 10p per minute!

I didn't say it was a definitive guide, I just said it may help...

Yes when the unbundled tariff finally arrives I live in hope it will resolve this giant mess regarding call charges, but frankly I doubt it will... why.. because it's Ofcom...

Rant over!

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 2:15pm

While it's a lot less misleading, it's completely impractical to insist that advertisers give out such detailed information (how would that work on radio advertising for example?) and it could never be kept up to date in a timely manner as call prices change frequently.

Ofcom's "unbundled tariffs" seem to have no such downsides. It's a shame that after four years of consultations we're still waiting for the details to be announced and a shame that once announced, the changes won't be happening for another 18 months.

« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2013 at 2:20pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 3:46pm

CJT-80 wrote on Dec 2nd, 2013 at 1:30pm:
… when the unbundled tariff finally arrives I live in hope it will resolve this giant mess regarding call charges,

For the case of Budget Air, our hopes are focussed more immediately on the implementation of the regulations arising from the Consumer Rights Directive. There is no serious justification for applying the exemption of Passenger Transport in the UK - let us hope that this point has been accepted by Jo Swinson.

The BIS measure, along with what is about to be announced for the public sector and the voluntary action by the Banks are closely related to the work that Ofcom has done on this issue. It has provided us with the term "Service Charge", and dispelled the myth that 084 numbers are in some way different from those classified as being used for the provision of "Premium Rate Services".

For the unbundled tariff to work, Ofcom has to secure the compliance of the telephone companies. They must take on the administration of the Service Charge levels / termination fee rates (currently undertaken by BT), apply the separated billing and set a single Access Charge rate per tariff. Given the perceived damage that some claim that this will do to their (allegedly legitimate) businesses, this has been found not to be easy.

CJT-80 wrote on Dec 2nd, 2013 at 1:30pm:
but frankly I doubt it will... why.. because it's Ofcom...

We can see the struggles that all statutory regulators have with the private businesses in the sectors that they regulate. This provides a strong argument to support the view that re-nationalisation is the only answer, as regulated competition may not provide sufficient protection for the consumer interest.

There are many issues on which Ofcom continues to fail us badly. I am however convinced that the unbundled tariff is the right approach to this issue (having proposed something of this nature when responding to the initial "Call for Inputs" at the beginning of the Simplifying Non-Geographic Numbers project). I therefore support its efforts to compel compliance with its proposals and am committed to help them succeed.

It is obviously disappointing to find that many contributors to this forum oppose those efforts or believe them to be a waste of energy.

In fact, it will not be Ofcom that will be directly responsible for enforcing compliance with the requirements to declare call charges (before the call is made). For PRS numbers that specific duty is held by PhonePay Plus. In general, and exclusively for 084 numbers, it is the powers of the ASA, the OFT and Trading Standards offices that will be used to enforce compliance with the requirement to state the Service Charge and refer to the Access Charge added by the caller's telephone company.

Ofcom will state, and stand firmly behind, the requirement, but it has no statutory powers covering the terms of call cost statements made by users of the telephone network. It will be generally understood that this is "an Ofcom regulation", however, as with many other cases, Ofcom's actual powers are not as wide as many are led to believe (often by Ofcom itself).

The "unbundled tariff" is a most welcome and proper measure. It is however my hope that by the time it comes into effect, it will have little significance in respect of 084 numbers - because, by then, most improper use of such numbers will have ceased.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 6:06pm

Good Evening SCV,

I apologise if my earlier post appeared to indicate that I felt the efforts were a "waste of time and energy" I don't!

What I do find most frustrating is how some people comment of this forum...

I was simply pointing out that the figure given while VERY high was not actually that far off for SOME providers....

I agree with the other poster's point that in adverts it may not be possible to give out ALL the call charge info... but I feel it would be better in text format to give MORE info as opposed to some misleading info....

This to me is what also needs to be challenged...

I have seen several adverts with 0844 numbers being listed as "local call rate" or similar.. I am quick to contact the company and point out the error of their way's....

Personally I feel that we have more than one "battle" to face here, and it's gone on for frankly too long!

Companies up and down the UK continue to quote misleading information and use "premium" numbers so that they can either get a few pence per minute to cover their telephony costs or just so they can have "enhanced" features.. whist we the unfortunate consumer picks up the cost in inflated call charges and phone bills!

The sooner the CRD is fully implemented without any restrictions or clauses the better!

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 7:07pm

… and Good Evening CJT-80

I do not wish to belittle the enormous frustration felt over these battles over 084 numbers, their misuse and the misrepresentation of call costs, continuing. Ofcom has been far from hasty in getting to grips with the issues and the limits of its powers constrain its effectiveness, even when it is set on the right course.

This discussion forum is here for us to exchange views. It is rightly said that the fiercest arguments are often between those who are essentially in agreement. My personal view is that the only fair and accurate way to present call costs for 084 numbers, is that which will be required under the "unbundled tariff". Many of those who are presently using 084 numbers simply should not be doing so. This makes any discussion of how they should present their call costs largely an academic issue, as the costs being described should simply not be incurred by those who call them.

Any general statement of call costs, no matter how precise or meaningful, is of little value to the reader, who is only interested in what cost they will incur. All we can do for now is to attack any misrepresentation or direct falsehood, even though it is difficult to suggest a worthwhile alternative at the present time.

This forum has long provided a vehicle for expressions of annoyance and frustration, and is also used for (sometimes unintended, and sometimes wrongly inferred) personal attacks by one member on another. The simple fact is that in the real world, "we" (I can only speak for the fair telecoms campaign) are winning. There is lots of work still to do, and I am not so foolish as to believe that 100% success is attainable.

There will be always be plenty to occupy those who are seen as "regular" members of this forum. (I mean "regular" with reference to their views, not the current frequency of postings, i.e. excluding myself and some others.) I am always happy to engage in serious discussion of topics, but find it difficult to address simple blind negativity.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge