Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Surrey/Sussex Probation Claim 0300 is Freephone. (Read 11,844 times)
bigjohn
Supreme Member

Surrey/Sussex Probation Claim 0300 is Freephone.
Jan 31st, 2014 at 6:03pm

More education on 03 numbers is clearly needed.  Smiley Here the Surrey Sussex Probation Service claim that 0300 numbers are FreePhone Numbers.

http://www.surreysussexprobation.gov.uk/contact/

I have pointed out to them the error of there ways. Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2014 at 6:13pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Re: Surrey/Sussex Probation Claim 0300 is Freephone.
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 10:21am

They have now removed the 0300 numbers just leaving the 01/02 geographical ones.

BJ.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:06pm

bigjohn wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 6:03pm:
More education on 03 numbers is clearly needed.  Smiley Here the Surrey Sussex Probation Service claim that 0300 numbers are FreePhone Numbers.

I knew this was bound to happen when the dumbheads at Ofcom (who wouldn't seem to understand a sensible National Telephone Number Plan even if it ran them over and who of course permitted the atrocities of the 0844 and 0871 ranges to make legalised telephone extortion as easy for the scammers as possible by trading off the confusion with 0845 and 0870) decided to make 0300 available only for new governmental body 03 numbers even though any governmental bodies migrating 084 or 087 would normally move to just the same 034 and 037 ranges as private sector companies.

When the only other codes ending 00 were 0500 and 0800 (both of which were Freephone from landlines) what exactly did the overpaid incompetents at Ofcom think was going to happen down the road. Roll Eyes

Unfortunately the brain power of many employees in governmental authorities also appears to of such a low calibre that they also can't even seem to see the difference between free to all landline caller numbers (i.e. 0500 and 0800) and free to landline callers who have an inclusive minutes call package. Cry

When other bodies like the BBC, DVLA and now Natwest and Tesco all use these numbers its not like they are exactly short of examples of how to correctly describe the charging status of calls to 03 numbers.

Also If they can just switch back to the 01/02 number with no adverse consequences for their phone systems then you also have to ask why they even bothered to get an 03 number in the first place. Undecided

Regarding education by Ofcom on what different number ranges do I have been thinking for some time that some correctly placed FOIs to Ofcom on what research they have done on public understanding of different number ranges and/or what investigations they have made in to the cost of conducnting an effective public education campaign on the matter might prove very embarrassing for them if the results were placed in the right journalistic hands.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:08pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 4:29pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:06pm:
Regarding education by Ofcom on what different number ranges do I have been thinking for some time that some correctly placed FOIs to Ofcom on what research they have done on public understanding of different number ranges and/or what investigations they have made in to the cost of conducnting an effective public education campaign on the matter might prove very embarrassing for them if the results were placed in the right journalistic hands.

I'm not sure what more Ofcom could do to educate the public as history shows they won't take a blind bit of notice. At the time of the Big Number change, all official publicity (and there was a heck of a lot of it) explained exactly how it was going to work and that the code for London (for instance) was 020 with eight-digit local numbers, but over 90% of the public and media and probably well over 50% of businesses (including sign-writers!) took not a blind bit of notice.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 5:00pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:06pm:
I'm not sure what more Ofcom could do to educate the public as history shows they won't take a blind bit of notice. At the time of the Big Number change, all official publicity (and there was a heck of a lot of it) explained exactly how it was going to work and that the code for London (for instance) was 020 with eight-digit local numbers, but over 90% of the public and media and probably well over 50% of businesses (including sign-writers!) took not a blind bit of notice.

That's something that to this very day STILL annoys me....

When I ask someone in London for their number some still say 0208 or 0207... and then read the rest of the number out... I want to scream at them! LOL

Or companies who still cannot get it right... -  If they are a big company I do tend to e-mail them and point out the error of their ways!

Sad

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 11:46am

CJT-80 wrote on Feb 13th, 2014 at 5:00pm:
When I ask someone in London for their number some still say 0208 or 0207... and then read the rest of the number out... I want to scream at them! LOL

Or companies who still cannot get it right... -  If they are a big company I do tend to e-mail them and point out the error of their ways!Sad

You have to think of the public as being like a small child and whether Ofcom's actions on numbering could be understood by a small child from simple common sense principles.  This is because at least 50% of the public don't have mathematical ability or numeric intelligence any higher than that of a small child.

It was Ofcom and its predecessor that confused the public by moving from an easy to understand single 01 code to 0171 and 0181 and then trying to reverse it within a few years by moving back to a single 020 code with 8 digit numbers.  It is simply incomprehensible as to why the regulators did not stick with a single area code and add more digits to it to provide more numbers.

And when the regulators made the change back they never did any heavy advertising (of the kind that did happened with the switch from pounds, shillings and pence to decimal currency) to explain to the public that we were going back to the 01 era but with 01 now called 020 and all phone numbers being 8 digits instead of 7.  It could have been explained, the regulator never tried.

Similarly 0845 and 0870 at one stage just after introduction were charged to customers at the same rate as old Local and National Rate BT calls in the era before call plans and cheap competitor services became prevalent.  But when the telecoms industry then came up with the need for more NGNs with no pretensions at all of any linkage to local rate or national rate they were allowed to call them 0844 and 0871 and not forced to put them on 09 where they belong or at least on an unused range like 06.  Is it any wonder then that the majority of the public with child like lQs confuse them as being Local Rate and National Rate.

To be honest I don't actually understand why telephone numbers have remained at all as it would surely be easier to have replaced them by now with word names like an email address and for this to be portable and to follow the user if everything moved on to Voip.   And the notion of charging for phone calls should then have fallen away and they should simply have been part of your monthly broadband data allowance.

But anyhow leaving aside that phone numbers have remained Ofcom and predecessors could have educated people but they should have never had the 0171/0181 step on London numbers on the way to 020 and they should never have allowed the creation of further covert premium rate numbers on 0841-0844 or 0871-0873 or whatever it actually is.

The numbering plan has to be kept simple and logical in order for people to be able to understand it.  Unfortunately it isn't due to deliberate mismanagement by the regulator in bed with the telcos and so it by design is not the least bit easy or logical to understand.  That is why the public don't understand.  The public do understand simple things that have been deliberately designed to be able to be understood by even someone with a child like IQ.

<div style=

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 7:38pm

Just a little heads up..

The "offending" 0300 number STILL appears at the very bottom "footer" of the contact web page, with Freephone next to it...

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge