Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Environment Agency Floodline (Read 23,984 times)
allegro

Environment Agency Floodline
Feb 3rd, 2014 at 1:31pm

In the news again today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26012299

Quote:
Meanwhile, Downing Street has called for an end to the Environment Agency's use of premium-rate phone helplines for flooding victims.

Homeowners calling the 0845 number pay up to 41p a minute, with the money going to a private firm.

David Cameron's official spokesman said: "The prime minister is very clear that the use of premium rate lines should be scrapped as quickly as possible."

The "private firm" in this case being your mobile phone operator.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Re: Environment Agency Floodline
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 5:44pm

The Call Centre Contract was awarded to Teleperformance last year .

http://www.teleperformance.com/media/1148894/teleperformance_uk_awarded_environm...

I believe they still use the Vodafone/Cable and Wireless network .

"The Environment Agency said it gets no money from the line itself, which was set up in 1999, but the cash instead goes to a private provider.
A spokeswoman said: “With more people now using mobile phones, and mobile providers charging higher rates for 0845 numbers, we recognise the need to change this service. We have an 03 number ready to go and will be moving to this new service. However, the current Floodline number is well recognised and it is not appropriate to change to a new number whilst flooding is ongoing."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/10614008/Governments-Floodline-charges...
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2014 at 5:47pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 5:48pm

allegro wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 1:31pm:
In the news again today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26012299

Quote:
Meanwhile, Downing Street has called for an end to the Environment Agency's use of premium-rate phone helplines for flooding victims.

Homeowners calling the 0845 number pay up to 41p a minute, with the money going to a private firm.

David Cameron's official spokesman said: "The prime minister is very clear that the use of premium rate lines should be scrapped as quickly as possible."

The "private firm" in this case being your mobile phone operator.

It's good of the BBC to note the replacement number, but it's still only showing the 0845 number on the Environment-Agency Website.. surely they can amend it to have BOTH numbers?

Perhaps not it would seem!

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 5:52pm

CJT-80 wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 5:48pm:
[quote author=allegro link=1169736833/32#32 date=1391434299]In the news again today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26012299

[quote] surely they can amend it to have BOTH numbers?

Perhaps not it would seem!

Not whilst flooding is ongoing.Ha Ha Wink

BJ.

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 7:16pm

I do not understand all this nonsense about confusing the public while floods are ongoing. People will just call whatever number is publicised or whatever number they used last. As either 0845 or 0345 will work I fail to see the problem in publicising only the 0345 number.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 7:47pm

I see from the BBC website that they have at last moved to 0345, pity so many people had to suffer so greatly from the floods before the EA took action to rectify this wrong.  I suspect if the flooding hadn't been so widespread they would have carried on with the 0845 as previously!

IP Logged

scottish

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 2:10am

I see the EA has a news story on their website about this environment-agency.gov.uk/news/151794.aspx

Full of nonsense if you ask me.

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 9:09am

BBC News broadcasts are now only quoting the 0345 number, which will no doubt cause massIve confusion and unnecessary expense for the public. How come the EA doesn't understand that if 0845 is included in a calling plan, so is 0345?

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 10:28am

Not all BBC News uses the 03!   On the Chris Evans programme this morning, on the travel news at one point they gave the 0845!   The BBC really needs to improve the accuracy of its information, last week they used an old road number for somewhere in Cambs/Essex that changed more years ago than I can remember.

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 12:21pm

Many of the newspapers that last week reported on the move to the new number have since reverted to quoting the old number in subsequent stories about flooding.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 5:00pm

kasg wrote on Feb 10th, 2014 at 9:09am:
BBC News broadcasts are now only quoting the 0345 number, which will no doubt cause massIve confusion and unnecessary expense for the public. How come the EA doesn't understand that if 0845 is included in a calling plan, so is 0345?

Please can you explain this statement as I find it bizarre from someone who is opposed to improper use of 084 numbers. It is the case that Floodline is for use by all and not just those who happen to have inclusive 0845 calls.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2014 at 5:00pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #11 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 5:05pm

Dave wrote on Feb 10th, 2014 at 5:00pm:
BBC News broadcasts are now only quoting the 0345 number, which will no doubt cause massive confusion and unnecessary expense for the public. How come the EA doesn't understand that if 0845 is included in a calling plan, so is 0345?

Please can you explain this statement as I find it bizarre from someone who is opposed to improper use of 084 numbers. It is the case that Floodline is for use by all and not just those who happen to have inclusive 0845 calls.

I'm sorry if you didn't detect the sarcasm in the first sentence there, I was basing my comments on the EA's previously posted misleading press release at http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/151794.aspx. I thought I had made it clear previously that I did not think that publicising the 0345 number would cause any confusion or unnecessary expense, quite the opposite.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2014 at 5:06pm by kasg »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 5:06pm

kasg wrote on Feb 10th, 2014 at 5:05pm:
Dave wrote on Feb 10th, 2014 at 5:00pm:
BBC News broadcasts are now only quoting the 0345 number, which will no doubt cause massive confusion and unnecessary expense for the public. How come the EA doesn't understand that if 0845 is included in a calling plan, so is 0345?

I'm sorry if you didn't detect the sarcasm in the first sentence there, I was basing my comments on the EA's previously posted misleading press release at http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/151794.aspx

Ahhh, of course! I see now.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #13 - May 3rd, 2014 at 9:30am

Just to let everyone know the Environment Agency has "moved" it's website to: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/environment-agency

Complete with ALL 03 numbers  Smiley

The flood line also has the 084 alternative, which I assume they have kept for anyone who has better rates to call 08 than 03 numbers.

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #14 - May 3rd, 2014 at 8:20pm

CJT-80 wrote on May 3rd, 2014 at 9:30am:
Complete with ALL 03 numbers  Smiley

Apart from one 0800 number, which is still a mixed blessing.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge