Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Citizens Advice to stop using 084x numbers in Sept (Read 16,344 times)
bigjohn
Supreme Member

Citizens Advice to stop using 084x numbers in Sept
Apr 5th, 2014 at 8:02pm

Citizens Advice take some stick in this article.

Say they will stop using 084x numbers from Sept.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2597569/Hard-people-calling-government-b...

BJ.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Citizens Advice to stop using 084x numbers in Sept
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2014 at 8:17pm

If CA is backed by the government to give advice to the offspring of those related to débutantes, I cannot see why this should not be on a very high premium rate number  Grin

The original story was in The Sun. This was followed by a news release from Citizens Advice. There may well be more coverage to follow !!

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2014 at 12:30pm

Does that include the Consumer Advice Helpline ? Which they run as well
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2014 at 12:31pm by CJT-80 »  

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2014 at 2:23pm

CJT-80 wrote on Apr 6th, 2014 at 12:30pm:
Does that include the Consumer Advice Helpline ? Which they run as well

Yes - the fair telecoms campaign is closely engaged in ensuring that this particular change will take effect no later than 13 June. This is imperative, as this is the number (03454 04 05 06) which will be called to complain about businesses which breach the regulation prohibiting use of 084 numbers for customer complaints and enquiries, which comes into force on that date. It obviously cannot be a 0845 number.

There will be more newspaper coverage.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 7:19pm

Apologies for digging up a rather old thread (nearly 2 years old now) but I had reason to check for the number of a local CAB office, and was shocked to find out it uses an 084 number.

I know that Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline and the National CAB line are 03 numbers, but does the change they made only apply to those lines?

Here is one odd example I found: Salford CAB who have 2 numbers to contact them on, 1 for Landlines and 1 for Mobiles... both are NGN's but the difference... the landline one is 0844

I appreciate that they are charities but they give support to a large number of low income people and that's an expensive number to call!  Shocked

Clearly that's only one example but I have found more in Manchester/Cheshire and 2 locally to me in London!

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:25pm

As the first point of contact in making a complaint to Trading Standards, the national Citizen's Advice Consumer Helpline receives funding from central government and swapped their 0845 line over to the matching 0345 number around 3pm or 4pm on 12 June 2014.

Regulation 41 of the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013 came into force around 8 or 9 hours later. The change of number avoided the ironic scenario of having to call an 0845 number to complain about a business using an 0845 number for their customer service line in breach of Regulation 41.

Citizen's Advice local bureaux (CAB as opposed to CA) are entirely separate entities, and each is run on a local basis separate from each other. As such, there is no cohesive plan and there are a number of different types of telephone number used for access. These range from freephone 080 numbers to local 01 and 02 numbers or non-geographic 03 numbers through to premium rate 084 and 087 numbers with an additional Service Charge.

Which type of number is in use often comes down to local funding. Many of those who are still using 084 or 087 numbers are not declaring the Service Charge for their number. I don't think there is a central way to deal with this issue. There is a national helpline, but it is optional whether local branches opt in to this, and there are funding implications for those which do.

« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2016 at 1:23am by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 11:02am

if the local CAB office is not able to use the 03 service because of funding issues why can't they use the geographical 01/02 range, admitadly they will not be able to use all services available but all that is needed is an answer service provided by most telco's nowadays. As I recall prior to all the telco's jumping on the band wagon with none geographical premium rate 08/09 numbers we all had a very good geographical service with 01/02 numbers. As I often state in this forum I am no expert but why can't a local CAB office use the area 01/02 number range and callers will be charged  standard call rates.

Just common sense if you ask me.

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:26am

I also wonder if the costs of their lines are "financed" by the revenue from the 0844 number?  Perhaps that's why they have those number types!

Sad

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 10:28am

Yes. The Service Charge element of the call cost pays for the non-geographic call handling and call forwarding and anything left over is either paid out to the called party as 'revenue share' or is used to provide a discount off other services supplied to the called party by their telecoms provider.

For many years, organisations using 084 and 087 number denied this was the case. This is one of the many reasons why Ofcom has introduced the split-charge (Access Charge plus Service Charge) system so that the pricing for these calls has become transparent and the benefit to the called party is separately declared and clearly seen.

A simplified explanation can be found at:
http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/the-cost-of-contacting-08-and-03-telephone-numbers

« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2016 at 11:04am by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 3:56pm

« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2016 at 3:57pm by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 1:44pm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge