Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ofcom Consultation on 03 Numbers (Read 9,820 times)
loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Ofcom Consultation on 03 Numbers
Jul 10th, 2014 at 11:24am

Ofcom have published a new consultation om 03 numbers today :---

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/03-modification/?utm_source=updat...

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Re: Ofcom Consultation on 03 Numbers
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 12:04pm

Ofcom say :---

"We have recently observed the sharing of revenues from wholesale 03 call charges with callers. We consider that this conduct could harm the interests of consumers and citizens. We explain our proposal to address this problem by modifying the restrictions on the use of 03 numbers to make clear that the direct or indirect sharing of revenues with end-users or callers is not permitted on the 03 number range."

And

"Recently, we have observed the emergence of telephony services that offer customers financial or other benefits in return for calling their 03 numbers. No genuine communications service is provided on such calls, and inducements offered to callers are proportional to the duration of the call made.2"

The superscript "2" only refers to the next page and no information or evidence about these "observations" is provided in this consultation, as far as I can see. 

Does anyone know to what are Ofcon referring?
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2014 at 12:14pm by loddon »  
IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 12:22pm

A company (more than one?) has set up a range of 03 numbers.

They encourage people to call these numbers using up any "spare" inclusive calls remaining in their monthly allowance.

Callers can call whenever and as often as they like and can stay on the line for as long as they like.

The company collects the termination payment from the caller's phone provider, and then pays some of that back to the caller.

It's a scam that only serves to drive up the overall cost of inclusive call plans.

I can't remember the name of the company, but I do have "South Africa" in my head as I seem to recall they offer a similar scheme in several other countries.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2014 at 12:24pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 5:21am

A couple of  other benefits i have seen being offered as well as the refund of money mentioned by Ian are

(1) Free Intl Call Credits in exchange for part of the revenue raised by listening to a Radio Station via a 03 number.

(2) Free 03 number with free Line Rental and free divert to a 01/2 number ,providing you receive  some call traffic through the 03 number each month.

I have also seen a supplier offering revenue share on 03 on traffic over 10,000 minutes a month.

BJ.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 9:27am

Hi bigjohn your info is very interesting because I have searched and searched and cannot find a single instance of any sort of service or monetary or benefit kickback via 03. 

Can you provide links to examples of these offers?

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 11:08am

loddon wrote on Jul 12th, 2014 at 9:27am:
… Can you provide links to examples of these offers?

This is a public forum. Any link placed here serves to promote the service being discussed. If discussion continues and the providers are using Google Ads, links will appear before too long.

It would be interesting to know if other members approve of what Ofcom is seeking to stop. My view is that the integrity of the 03 range needs to be affirmed. If callers believe that those they call are making money - whether or not they share some of it with callers in some cases - it will be seen as another rip-off range.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 5:42pm

I believe that revenue sharing shouldn't be allowed as it will just drive up the cost of either inclusive tariffs or out-of-tariff charges (for 01/02/03) as mentioned by Ian.

I assumed that this would have already been looked at by Ofcom to prevent yet another money making scheme from revenue sharing numbers.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2014 at 4:31am

loddon wrote on Jul 12th, 2014 at 9:27am:
Hi bigjohn your info is very interesting because I have searched and searched and cannot find a single instance of any sort of service or monetary or benefit kickback via 03. 

Can you provide links to examples of these offers?

I have pm you some info. Smiley

BJ.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge