Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Introduction Of 03 Allegedly Causes Job Losses. (Read 12,823 times)
bigjohn
Supreme Member

Introduction Of 03 Allegedly Causes Job Losses.
Aug 2nd, 2014 at 5:10am

"Serco blamed the move by customers from 0800 to 0300 numbers and from phone to online channels and text, which required fewer people to service. The company said that over two years demand had fallen by 50 per cent. The proposal for the future was for the service to be run from its Glasgow site."

Full story here:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/serco-closure-deals-jobs-blow-to-hi...
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2014 at 11:44am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Allegation of job losses related to re-numbering
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2014 at 11:04am

I know that we should expect to read a lot of nonsense on the web and that headline writers can get carried away with picking out minor points of detail from statements, BUT

- is there any evidence of any services being switched from 0800 to 0300?

- is there any evidence of a significant fall in usage of the services as a result of this switch?

There is no question that the switch from 0845 to 0345 (not from 0800 to 0300) will incur costs for DWP. It has however been claimed that this cost will be covered by the saving made when there is no longer any need to pay exceptional fees to mobile companies to deliver 0800 calls as free to caller.

There is also no question that the "digital by default" policy will cause transactions conducted by telephone to switch to on-line means. This will inevitably have an effect on levels of call centre employment.

There are many issues tied up in this story. I am disappointed that SayNoTo0870 carries a thread with so controversial a title without any attempt to test the veracity of the stated claim and without use of qualifier "allegedly".

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2014 at 11:40am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Aug 2nd, 2014 at 11:04am:
There are many issues tied up in this story. I am disappointed that SayNoTo0870 carries a thread with so controversial a title without any attempt to test the veracity of the stated claim and without use of qualifier "allegedly".

Yes it would have looked better,and i would normally have included but it was late. I have amended it.

At least i bother to mention interesting items. But i dont know why i bother when you come along and speak down to posters. Who do you think you are.

I must say i am a disapointed that you choose to mention it here,when a pm would have sufficed

I am out i will let you make useful posts to keep the site going. Angry
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2014 at 11:55am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Re: Introduction Of 03 Allegedly Causes Job Losses.
Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2014 at 11:48am

The fact that SERCO is a 'stakeholder' and may therefore be presenting a biased viewpoint is implied by the use of the word Allegation but to go further in the title would be difficult.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2014 at 11:53am

Heinz wrote on Aug 2nd, 2014 at 11:48am:
The fact that SERCO is a 'stakeholder' and may therefore be presenting a biased viewpoint is implied by the use of the word Allegation but to go further in the title would be difficult.

Exactly.  Smiley

BJ.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2014 at 12:11pm

bigjohn wrote on Aug 2nd, 2014 at 11:40am:
Yes it would have looked better,and i would normally have included but it was late. I have amended it.

At least i bother to mention interesting items. But i dont know why i bother when you come along and speak down to posters. Who do you think you are.

I must say i am a disapointed that you choose to mention it here,when a pm would have sufficed

I am out i will let you make useful posts to keep the site going. Angry

Sorry if my comment caused any offence. As you suggest, a PM would perhaps have been better to cover the lack of the word "allegedly" in the title. I am very sensitive to the danger of bad publicity around the 03 range. This forum has long been rightly encouraging people to treat "unusual" number with suspicion, but with 03 we face the opposite task.

There are however some interesting points for discussion raised by this item. The switch from 0845 to 0345 does put pressure on call centre costs and could potentially lead to the withdrawal of services, even though the amount of subsidy lost is marginal. The "digital by default" policy should also lead to a reduction in "transactional" telephone services.

It is disappointing that so much of the content of these discussions is over what has been said, rather than the issues raised. I am delighted at, and grateful for, the change in the title of this thread and must apologise if the tone of my comment was found offensive. Although this forum is intended for the discussion of issues, it does provide a valuable service in drawing attention to relevant news items.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2014 at 12:17pm

Thank You . Apology accepted. We move on.

BJ.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge