Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
BT Launch New Home Phone Saver Service. (Read 72,973 times)
bigjohn
Supreme Member

BT Launch New Home Phone Saver Service.
Aug 24th, 2014 at 3:15am

"With our Home Phone Saver deal you can benefit from a price promise where the price is set at £19.99 a month.

The price of your Home Phone Saver package is guaranteed to stay the same until 2017 – giving you peace of mind.

What you get with Home Phone Saver:
Your monthly line rental
Unlimited calls to UK landlines at any time, for up to an hour
Unlimited calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers at any time, for up to an hour
Discounted calls to UK mobiles
BT Privacy with Caller Display, Choose to Refuse and Anonymous Call Reject for free when you opt-in

You can pay for Home Phone Saver by any means of payment.

Home Phone Saver is a telephone only deal, so can't be taken out as part of our BT Broadband or Infinity packages."

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49402/~/home-phone-saver

Note you cant have line rental saver with it.
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2014 at 3:21am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

allegro

Re: BT Launch New Home Phone Saver Service.
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 8:03am

Nice little trick. Offer a reasonably fair price immediately after announcing price rise, lock people in for 3 years and then in the FAQ: "No, our broadband bundles are not compatible with Home Phone Saver. "

Without doing the sums I think Plusnet are still cheaper for a phone/BB package, no lengthy contract. (Line saver rental, anytime calls, caller display) And they are part of BT!

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 10:24am

allegro wrote on Aug 24th, 2014 at 8:03am:
Nice little trick. Offer a reasonably fair price immediately after announcing price rise, lock people in for 3 years

You cant lock people in for 3 years. The minimum term is 12 months and bear in mind it does include for no extra charge anonymous call reject which is normally £4.75 a month,Choose to refuse which is £3.90 a month and caller display which is £1.75 a month.

If you currently pay monthly for your line rental  £15.95 a month. For an extra £4.04 a month you get anytime calls  and the extra call features, where as normally  just  anytime calls would cost you £7.50 a month.

As you point out Plusnet are a better bet if you want broadband.

Currently take line rental saver and line rental works out at 12.99 a month, add caller display 99p a month, and unlimited broadband £2.50 a month,and anytime calls £5 a month = £21.48. So for another 1.49 a month you get broadband. Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2014 at 10:47am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 8:17am

Thanks for doing the sums. It makes me wonder if BT are trying to a "good cop, bad cop" trick using their BT and Plusnet brands.

I should add that I've been a customer of Plusnet since well before the BT takeover. There have been some bad patches when I've thought about leaving but inertia has kept me there and things have always got better. At present Plusnet support is creaking badly under the weight of all the new customers they are getting.

I'm hesitant to say this in open forum but when your 12 month discount broadband deal with Plusnet is coming to an end phone them to get a MAC. You will usually get a decent result without changing ISP Wink This may not work for fibre where the hit they take from the discount is rather bigger.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 9:47am

Quote:
Home Phone Saver is a telephone only deal, so can't be taken out as part of our BT Broadband or Infinity packages.

Am I reading that right and does it mean you cannot have BT broadband AT ALL if you go for this package? 

If so, GREAT, that means I could go for that and then get a cheap broadband deal from PlusNet (or whoever).
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2014 at 4:46pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

allegro

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2014 at 7:59am

Except that Plusnet only discount broadband if you take their phone service as well. That's perfectly normal marketing

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 12:51pm

Looking at the BT Price List, the latest incarnation of Home Phone Saver would appear to be Home Phone Saver 2019, Home Phone Saver 2018 being marked as 'not available for new supply from 3rd April 2016'.

It is the case that you cannot have BT Broadband in order to have Home Phone Saver. Is there any requirement by BT Retail that lines with HPS cannot have broadband supplied by another provider, and is this likely to be legally binding?
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2017 at 12:51pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Marry_Reynolds
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 2:24pm

Worst rpovider ever. They charged me 2 pounds for not  using landline phone. They charge me every month. I know its only 2 pounds,but I have phone, telly and internet for 60 pounds per month ( old contract) that's why I think it's silly to do this. Do not ever sign with then.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 4:43pm

Quote:
Worst rpovider ever. They charged me 2 pounds for not  using landline phone. They charge me every month. I know its only 2 pounds,but I have phone, telly and internet for 60 pounds per month ( old contract) that's why I think it's silly to do this. Do not ever sign with then.

Welcome to SayNoTo0870 and thanks for posting about this.

Can someone direct us to where this charge for no calls being made is stated? I cannot see it on the BT Price List page. What I believe to be the official information page on BT's website on this 'product' is here. Nowhere does it convey such information.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 7:44pm

Dave wrote on Feb 1st, 2017 at 12:51pm:
Looking at the BT Price List, the latest incarnation of Home Phone Saver would appear to be Home Phone Saver 2019, Home Phone Saver 2018 being marked as 'not available for new supply from 3rd April 2016'.

Hi Dave.

It is the case that you cannot have BT Broadband in order to have Home Phone Saver. Is there any requirement by BT Retail that lines with HPS cannot have broadband supplied by another provider, and is this likely to be legally binding?

Normal  BT line rental is available if you really wanted it, i cant see any benefits though. But i guess they would probaly be within their rights not to offer you the extra benefits of the Home Phone Saver a product specifically introduced for phone users

Plusnet are one of the very few that offer broadband you can place on other providers lines. See: https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/

If you click on Line rental needed with another provider

They put people off of the product.By saying.

"You'll need to pay line rental to Plusnet or another BT based landline provider to get our broadband.

If you opt to switch your phone service to Plusnet, we'll reduce your monthly broadband price by £3.50 for as long as you keep your phone line with us."

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2017 at 7:51pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 7:54pm

Dave wrote on Feb 1st, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Quote:

Welcome to SayNoTo0870 and thanks for posting about this.

Can someone direct us to where this charge for no calls being made is stated? I cannot see it on the BT Price List page. What I believe to be the official information page on BT's website on this 'product' is here. Nowhere does it convey such information.

Hi Dave .

Marry cant be on Home Phone Saver as they have  Broadband and TV which you cant have with it.

Perhaps they  still have calls with another supplier, where BT charge extra if you dont place some calls via them.

Suggest they call BT Customer Options 0800 800 150 and sort it out,and get a better deal, or move on.
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2017 at 8:37pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 8:16pm

bigjohn wrote on Feb 1st, 2017 at 7:44pm:
Normal  BT line rental is available if you really wanted it, i cant see any benefits though. But i guess they would probaly be within their rights not to offer you the extra benefits of the Home Phone Saver a product specifically introduced for phone users

But if Home Phone Saver has already been signed up to, can broadband then be added to that line? Or will it be blocked? Or would it otherwise mean the customer would have to change package so as not to be in breach of terms?

bigjohn wrote on Feb 1st, 2017 at 7:44pm:
Plusnet are one of the very few that offer broadband you can place on other providers lines. See: https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/

If you click on Line rental needed with another provider

They put people off of the product.By saying.

"You'll need to pay line rental to Plusnet or another BT based landline provider to get our broadband.

If you opt to switch your phone service to Plusnet, we'll reduce your monthly broadband price by £3.50 for as long as you keep your phone line with us."

Zen offer broadband only. The difference between broadband with line rental and without is £11.59. Line rental on its own (with non-inclusive calls) is £16.99. They impose a surcharge of £5.40 on the broadband if you don't take line rental from them. This is the equivalent of Plusnet's £3.50 difference in broadband with and without taking its line rental.

Fast.co.uk also offer broadband only.

However, I'm specifically looking at Andrews & Arnold ADSL. It can be used in conjunction with another provider's line rental. I am wondering whether this might work on a line that has BT Home Phone Saver on it.

Additionally, while A&A can offer voice service, they do naked ADSL whereby you pay £10 for the copper pair, if you do not pay line rental to another provider.
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2017 at 8:21pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 8:28pm

I guess a change of package would be needed in those circumstances.

Andrews and Arnold might be worth asking if they have any feedback from customers who have attempted it.
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2017 at 8:33pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 8:43pm

bigjohn wrote on Feb 1st, 2017 at 8:28pm:
I guess a change of package would be needed in those circumstances.

Andrews and Arnold might be worth asking if they have any feedback from customers who have attempted it.

Thanks. I will ask A&A if I decide I'd like to move to it.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 1:29pm

Hi Dave,

I have recently been looking at my parents Broadband and Telephone service, as it's now out of contract.  I found that PlusNet (part of the BT Group) offered a better deal than BT plus they offered inclusive Mobile calls on their calling plans (which BT do not)

You can also get BT Sport via PlusNet (at £9.99 or £12.49 Standard vs HD).  As BT Sport for my parents is only a temp thing it still represents better value to move.

So it's off to find out what deals I can get.

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge