Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TfL using Premium Rate text replacing Countdown (Read 8,069 times)
blutak

TfL using Premium Rate text replacing Countdown
Nov 30th, 2014 at 2:46pm

Within the next 18 months Transport for London will no longer have Countdown displays at bus stops. Instead they have put bar-codes which passengers can scan with their SmartPhones to obtain bus arrival times. These will be sent by a Premium Rate text message. Another charge for something that was free. Not everyone has a SmartPhone, but TfL does not care. (Information from a Clear Channel technician who was placing a barcode sticker on my local bus stop)

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Re: TfL using Premium Rate text replacing Countdown
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2014 at 9:53am

That makes no sense at all. Why wouldn't anyone with a smartphone simply use the TfL (or other) app to obtain bus times? As recently as June. TfL were trumpeting their free data feed and countdown displays:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2014/june/tfl-s-live-bus-arr...

IP Logged

blutak

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2014 at 1:00pm

My thought exactly. It does not make sense. Why should a passenger pay for information that they can obtain from other sources for free? However not everyone has a cellphone, so removal of the displays is a retrograde step.  TfL will save money by not having to maintain the CountDown displays and by not paying for the landline data link from their central computer to the bus stop, but IMHO, the savings will be a small percentage of the cost of the service. Is it worth it to inconvenience a significant number of their passengers? 

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 3:16pm

blutak wrote on Nov 30th, 2014 at 2:46pm:
Within the next 18 months Transport for London will no longer have Countdown displays at bus stops. Instead they have put bar-codes which passengers can scan with their SmartPhones to obtain bus arrival times. These will be sent by a Premium Rate text message. Another charge for something that was free. Not everyone has a SmartPhone, but TfL does not care. (Information from a Clear Channel technician who was placing a barcode sticker on my local bus stop)

blutak

I wanted to clarify your post slightly, and before anyone ask's I do not work for TfL.

The next bus service is currently provided at numerous bus stops (I think around 2000) by a display showing the next 10 or so buses and how many minutes you have to wait for them.

Where this facility is not used/available there are alternatives provided. 

A NFC (Near Field Communication) tag or QR (Quick Response) code is provided on a plate attached to the bus shelter or advertising display.  Use of either of these is "free", the user pay's for any data charges from their mobile provider.

A code which you text to a short number is also provided on the bus stop, usually on a metal plate or sticker.  Those text's are charged at your standard network rate to send and at 12 p per reply.

More info is here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/buses/live-bus-arrivals

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge