Send Topic Print
0906 Numbers (Read 16,396 times)
bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
0906 Numbers
Nov 29th, 2016 at 10:31am

I have been involved with Saynoto0870 since I heard about it on Working Lunch in 2005 it is a fantastic site and you have all achieved so much.

The purpose of my communication today is to enquire if it would be possible to carry out a similar exercise but use the 0906 prefix Saynoto 0906. I appreciate that there is not a need to use 0906 numbers in the same way we use 0870/0845 numbers but it would be a thorn in the side for the FAT CATS that are making millions and the main callers are people on low income that cannot afford it.

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Re: 0906 Numbers
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2016 at 11:02am

Numbers starting 090, 091 and 098 are designed to be used for chargeable services paid for as the call is being made. Rather than spend the first few minutes of the call taking your bank details to pay for the service, the charge is instead levied as an additional Service Charge paid through the caller's telephone bill. Services using this payment mechanism include voting on a TV show, recorded information lines, chatlines, adult entertainment, etc. Numbers starting 09 are among those that are banned for customer services, financial services, public services and healthcare services.

The same charging mechanism also applies to 084 and 087 numbers, albeit with much lower Service Charges. Where these numbers have been inappropriately used for customer services, sayNOto0870 has publicised alternative geographic numbers. However, things have moved on. Various regulations have since forced most of those companies to change their numbers. Nowadays, sayNOto0870 exists mainly to publicise alternative numbers for those who have failed to comply with the regulations.

I see very little evidence of customer service lines using 09 numbers so I am not sure what issue you are trying to solve. The vast majority of 09 numbers are genuine chargeable services relying on the Service Charge revenue to fund the service, and hence there is no alternative number available to be publicised here. People have the choice of wasting their money voting on a TV show contestant or not. The issue of organisations using expensive telephone numbers for inappropriate purposes existed mainly on 084 and 087 numbers and has been largely solved.

« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2016 at 2:34pm by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2016 at 9:24pm

OK, I get your point I was just attempting to help people on low incomes as they are a large proportion of the callers hoping to win, not fully understanding that the odds of them winning are stacked against them at millions to 1

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

allegro

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 8:05am

Very much agree with Ian01. Most of the 084/087 offenders have gone though there are still quite a few around. 09 numbers are genuine premium rate and recognised as such by most people.

That just leaves a few anomalies that need to be dealt with. 070, which isn't for mobiles and much more expensive to phone. Now mostly used for scamming AFAIK. Other oddities include 0500 (freephone but charged from mobiles) which is more or less gone and other 05 series numbers where I've not got the foggiest idea how they are charged. Again quite rare now. There are just a few 01x geo numbers and 07x mobile numbers used by Isle of Man and Channel Isles that look like normal numbers and charged at higher rates. I think that's it unless you know otherwise.

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 9:18am

Scams on the 070 personal numbers range have decreased since revenue sharing was banned in 2009, but there are still plenty of ways to get caught out, not least when calling someone who is in hospital. Ofcom promised a review of the 055, 056, 070 and 076 ranges. That can't be far away now. They already reviewed 0500 and that number range will cease to exist on 3 June 2017. I envisage 055, 056, 070 and 076 being phased out too. The 080 range is now free-to-caller from landlines and mobiles and most of the issues with the 084, 087 and 09 ranges have been fixed by the combined effort of Ofcom, BIS and FCA regulation and Cabinet Office guidance. Other anomalies include CI and IoM landline and mobile numbers, but forced changes in termination rates should end those pricing oddities by the end of 2017. 

It's a few years away, but we should end up with something like:
01, 02, 03, 07 - inclusive in allowances (except for the last few pagers on 076 ranges)
080 - free-to-caller
084, 087, 09 - premium rate.
By that time, there should be a strong case to discontinue the 084 and 087 ranges due to lack of use.

Looking again at the 09 range, there are a lot of premium rate services that are pure junk designed solely to part people from their money. There may be a case for banning certain activities, perhaps starting with 'competitions' that appear to be more like a lottery with unknown odds of winning.

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2016 at 9:35am by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 8:04am

Phonepayplus already have the power to clamp down on abuse of 09 numbers. Perhaps they need some prodding.

Otherwise Ian01 is right, we've come a long way towards draining the swamp of UK phone numbers. There's still a rump of 084 and 087 numbers - they really need to be discontinued along with 070 and sooner rather than later. Then all revenue share services can go where they belong, to 09 numbers where almost everyone knows they will be charged a premium.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 9:56am

allegro wrote on Nov 30th, 2016 at 8:05am:
That just leaves a few anomalies that need to be dealt with. 070, which isn't for mobiles and much more expensive to phone.

I just wanted to pick up on this part of allegro's reply.

The 070 number range is VERY expensive to call, I had a look online and picked out one number: 07006 400 XXX from here clearly it's a Bedside Phone/TV number and checking the BT Price list it costs .... 48.51 pence per minute (might as well call that 50p)  Shocked

That's daylight robbery!

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 1:57pm

Premium rate numbers start 070, 084, 087, 090, 091, 098 and 118 plus various five-digit mobile shortcodes.

Call charges for calls to 084, 087, 090, 091, 098 and 118 numbers are split into Access and Service Charge components making these call charges transparent.

Call charges for any particular five-digit mobile shortcode are the same on every mobile network.

This leaves only the 070 and 076 ranges with non-transparent call charges and numbers that can be mistaken for mobile numbers.

Numbers starting 055 and 056 are not premium rate, but call charges are not well publicised.

The review of 055, 056, 070 and 076 numbers cannot come soon enough. However, by delaying the review while they sorted out the 084, 087, 09 and 118 ranges, Ofcom have made the issues with the 05 and 07 ranges even more obvious to see and left the door open for radical solutions to be proposed.

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2016 at 6:49pm by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 7:44am

Quote:
Premium rate numbers start 070, 084, 087, 090, 091, 098 and 118 plus various five-digit mobile shortcodes.

In other words a horrible messy and inconsistent set of numbers where it's often a bit tricky to find out what you'll pay, despite all the good work that's been done with 084 and 087.

Ian01 is right to add the 5 digit mobile short codes. It's all but impossible to know what you'll be charged for them.  Rarely if ever are they included in any allowance. On BBC radio and elsewhere I've often heard them announced as "your normal network call charge" or similar. not exactly helpful.

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 10:10am

Of all on that list, 070 and 076 are up for review, perhaps next year and declining usage of 084 and 087 could see those being reviewed in a few years time. In the very long term, that would leave just 09, 118 and mobile shortcodes as numbers charged at a premium rate.

The "unbundled tariff" has brought clarity to call charges for 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers, but not everyone has complied. Breaches can be reported to ASA. Looking at ASA Adjudications, they don't appear to have received any complaints on this matter.

Call charges for calls to five-digit mobile shortcodes must be declared alongside the number wherever it is advertised or promoted. While the charge varies from number to number, the call charge for any particular number is the same on every mobile network. There is no "standard rate".

However, when it comes to texting, there is a problem. Text messages sent to five-digit mobile shortcodes are either free-to-sender or are charged as "one standard rate message". These messages are non-inclusive but mobile providers have failed to explicitly state that fact or to list the cost of "sending one standard rate message to a five-digit mobile shortcode" in their tariff details.

Once you send the text message, there may be no reply, there may be a reply with no further charge or there may be one or more replies with a premium charge of up to £10 per message. Some services are subscription based, signing you into regular delivery of chargeable messages until such time as you send STOP to end the subscription.

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2016 at 10:21am by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge