Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Utility Warehouse Lowest Line Rental claim. (Read 13,723 times)
bigjohn
Supreme Member

Utility Warehouse Lowest Line Rental claim.
Feb 12th, 2017 at 7:17pm

See  https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/services/phoneandbroadband/phone

where they say they offer The UK's lowest line rental £17.35 a month.

Which is  misleading as EG:

Post Office Homephone offer basic Post Office* Home Phone package at £16.99/mth

Or £180 a year £15 a month if you pay in advance.

BT will do it at the of  Equiv £17.09/month if you pay it upfront.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2017 at 7:32pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Re: Utility Warehouse Lowest Line Rental claim.
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 10:12pm

This is exactly the sort of thing that ASA should be hearing about and dealing with.

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 7:59am

Utility Warehouse are an unusual company. Their products (Electricity, Gas, Phone, Mobile as well as internet) are mostly sold via existing users who get a commission. It has a sort of pyramid structure which I don't trust.

In a local Streetlife forum I've had "interesting" public discussions with people who suggest UW as ISP, etc with claims of low prices. I've found that some of these people don't declare their affiliation with UW and when challenged with published figures on prices have tended to present what we now call "alternative facts".

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 6:43pm

There are "facts" and there are "lies". A fact is a fact, even if someone chooses not to believe it. Something that isn't true cannot ever be a "fact" irrespective of whether anyone believes it to be true or not.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 5:34am

A recent article which suggests its not a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket with them.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-4106764/ASK-TONY-Utility-Ware...

BJ.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2017 at 12:43am

bigjohn wrote on Feb 12th, 2017 at 7:17pm:

It appears that the claim of "the UK's lowest line rental" has now been removed. However, Utility Warehouse now claims "Big savings on your line rental" and that one can "Save up to £66 per year!" This figure is based on a comparison of UW's line rental which is now £16.50 per month and BT's which is said to be £22 per month. Where on earth has £22 for BT come from?

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2017 at 7:13am

UW is too close to a pyramid selling scheme for my liking. Their agents are remarkably unforthcoming when asked about how they benefit from you signing up to UW services. With their complex schemes of bonuses and benefits it's hard to put a true price on any of their services.

I had an animated discussion with a UW rep once in a local "Streetlife" forum. I simply presented facts and figures to show they were talking rubbish and they got very huffy.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2017 at 8:18pm

Dave wrote on Apr 8th, 2017 at 12:43am:
bigjohn wrote on Feb 12th, 2017 at 7:17pm:

It appears that the claim of "the UK's lowest line rental" has now been removed. However, Utility Warehouse now claims "Big savings on your line rental" and that one can "Save up to £66 per year!" This figure is based on a comparison of UW's line rental which is now £16.50 per month and BT's which is said to be £22 per month. Where on earth has £22 for BT come from?

They changed the cost of line rental on the on the 19 March 2017. See:  https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/legal/tariffs  click on  residential charges,

£17.35 use to include evening and weekend calls .The new £16.50 tariff does not.

UW say Price comparison is based on standard rates for line rental, local, national and mobile calls and excludes any promotional offers (such as advanced line rental payment) or chargeable call bundle packages. Information correct as of 29 March 2017.

So BT,s Standard Line Rental of £18.99 should be used  not £22 which unlike them includes inclusive 01/02/03 weekend calls.

« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2017 at 8:41pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:28am

ISTR that all discussions about UW on MSE were forbidden and rumour had it that a number of threats of legal action were the cause.  I don't know the grounds for that but I always go by the old adage about smoke and fire.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 1:28am

Heinz wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:28am:
ISTR that all discussions about UW on MSE were forbidden and rumour had it that a number of threats of legal action were the cause.  I don't know the grounds for that but I always go by the old adage about smoke and fire.

They were not forbidden all that MSE asked was that distributors declared an interest when posting,and it  was all done on one dedicated thread which still operates.As some over enthuastic distributors tried to big it up without declaring their hand.  Shocked

I was told that UW now  advise Distributors to be careful what they do and don't  post on social media,.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2017 at 1:33am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 6:42pm

allegro wrote on Apr 8th, 2017 at 7:13am:
UW is too close to a pyramid selling scheme for my liking. Their agents are remarkably unforthcoming when asked about how they benefit from you signing up to UW services. With their complex schemes of bonuses and benefits it's hard to put a true price on any of their services.

I had an animated discussion with a UW rep once in a local "Streetlife" forum. I simply presented facts and figures to show they were talking rubbish and they got very huffy.

It appears their distributors can earn up to £200 plus now   if they sign up people to a particular bundle,and it is not subject to clawback

See https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/partner-help/partner/answer/quip-ext

and (Click on how does it work.)

I wonder if the customer is made aware of this. Like when you told the amount of commission the salesperson is paid on certain financial service products you purchase.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2017 at 7:52pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge