Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reverse phone Look up (Read 6,545 times)
Andrew_S_Hatton

Maldon, Essex, England
Reverse phone Look up
Jul 12th, 2019 at 2:28pm

Which website do you recommend to use please?

Is there any sort of official service provided via any of the Phone Company providers?

Has/Can SayNoto0870 forums be used for such matters?

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Re: Reverse phone Look up
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 10:03pm

There are no "official" sites.

Much of the data found on such sites is faulty. Calls are attributed to a phone number but because CLI can be spoofed, the call often actually comes from another, completely unknown, number. Flagging the number shown as CLI may be introducing errors.

Using CLI to attempt to identify any call is almost worthless. Imagine a scenario where spam calls from afar are arriving with a presented CLI of an upstanding local business, one of your friends, or a local public service. Tagging this number as "spam" is a faulty premise.

One thing that all of the "who called me" sites fail to do is to tag numbers which are obviously fake (unallocated area code or prefix, for example) as definitely fake and spoofed.

These sites do not present the full story and may in fact present a misleading version of reality.

SayNOto0870 deals with finding inclusive 01, 02 or 03 numbers or free 080 numbers in place of expensive premium rate 084 and 087 numbers.  The "who called me" issue is somewhat off topic.
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2019 at 10:04pm by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2019 at 7:52am

If I want to know, I just google the offending number. That covers several sites at once.

IP Logged

AlIsOnH

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 11:18am

I do agree googling is the best way, although as stated above, a lot of these sites have issues, with real numbers being reported as spam when they are spoofed. This is still useful in a way, as I had a spoofed call from my actual banks number before and wouldn't have none otherwise. I do think it would be useful to get a decent list of unallocated area codes on the who called sites as Ian01 said, as you know for sure then if its fake. Currently I use the are code page on one of the sites that shows all the allocated ones https://scam-numbers.co.uk/area-codes/, and if its not on there then must be unallocated, but would be easier with an unallocated list or a search option. That site in particular does list when a number is premium rated and the cost of calling it which is good.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge