<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Earthquake disaster (Read 25,292 times)
kennels1

Earthquake disaster
Oct 11th, 2005 at 1:56pm

Just watched the news. The appeal for help for the areas hit by this awful earthquake quoted an 0870 number, I'm disgusted. Somebody wants to make money out of even this.

IP Logged

joe65

Re: Earthquake disaster
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 2:31pm

Since the 7 July  London tube disaster it looked like public bodies were at last beginning to grasp the importance of providing a geographic number, and that thanks largely to the tireless work of some members of this forum,   but sadly not yet the Disasters Emergency Committee it seems...   There website does have an alternative number, but only for office hours, but that's not much use when the number being broadcast to the nation is that so beloved of Network Operators.

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 2:35pm

Saw it as well and my immediate reaction was of despair and 'oh not again'.

At least the profit  they make on the call will hopefully be going to the disaster or lowering the cost of their admin of rasing the funds. I wonder if the provider is contributing their profit on this number to the disaster - I hope so.

I wonder if the money they gain from using the 0870 number outweighs lost income from those that either can't use an 0870 number or won't because of the cost or out of principle. Hopefully it won't stop people, but if they have to hang to be answered I suspect it will.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 2:44pm

The DEC sold-out to BT a long time ago and blindly uses 0870 as it cannot comprehend the dislike for these numbers as they are only 'national rate'. People have tried, and failed, to knock some common sense into these moronic organizations.

The most offensive aspect, at least to me, about the use of 0870 in these circumstances is not the actual revenue payment derived from 0870 (which is probably refunded by BT anyway) but all the extra revenue generated to other networks that charge forty or so pence per minute for such calls. Where will this revenue end up? Shareholders and fat-cat CEOs of course.

Why can't the DEC learn from other experiences? It is just a clueless organization when it comes to telephony and what the public wants.

Shoddy and pathetic and symptomatic of everything that is wrong in the United Kingdom.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

kennels1

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 3:04pm

So glad you see things the same way I do. I'm a shareholder in several companies(in a very modest way) but I still would rather forgo extra profit for integrity. To profit from the misfortune of others is always wrong. I don't know who to contact to complain about this. I know I'm only one voice but a lot of "one voices" might make a difference. I admit I am a senior citizen who remembers when other people mattered and it wasn't a culture of "me,me, me". If anybody has any ideas please let me know. As an aside I have had my phone blocked to outgoing calls of 09.... Did you know you can do this Just look at the game channels on Sky. I don't get tempted myself. I'm just a bridge freak.

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 3:43pm

Have we tried telling these NGO870s that were not going to give them any donations while they persist in wasting our money on the Phone call to do so.

Meanwhile we'll support charitable channels that maximise the use of our contibutions, for the benefit of the cause.

It is possible:-
Interestingly I notice eg. CAFOD has both a FreeFone
0500 858885 and a better altho'. less prominent  Geographical Nr. 00 44 20 7733 7900 on most pages of it's Web site.

Most interestingly tho', although it is a Member of the DEC it's Web site doesn't direct me to DEC or their wasteful  0870 number, as most other DEC member charities tend to.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2005 at 4:34pm by joe65 »  

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 4:54pm

Last night and today I saw news progs and an 020 number given out , can't remember the rest of it but I thought then that they had taken notice,maybe someone else got the number and can put it on here.

I also noticed an 0800 number for donations on Teletext, but again I cannot now find it.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 5:03pm

www.dec.org.uk says, about how one might donate:
"By donating online
By calling the Appeal line: 0870 60 60 900
By post (cheques or postal orders only)  P O Box 999, London EC3A 3AA
Cheques made payable to DEC Niger Crisis
Via high Street Banks or Post Office Freepay 1848

All money is donated to the DEC with no charges
" (my colour change).
Indeed?
If that were the case then 087 would be OK, but were I a shareholder of any telecoms company I might want to know who made the decision that this was an appropriate cause. It is, but where is the line drawn?
If the website announcement is correct, of course...

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 5:17pm

The statement about all money being donated to the DEC, just cannot be true, as it cann't include most of what the Mobile networks are charging us for making the calls, and not passing on to the terminating operator.

[quote author=idb  link=1129035386/0#3 date=1129038273]
The most offensive aspect, at least to me, about the use of 0870 in these circumstances is not the actual revenue payment derived from 0870 (which is probably refunded by BT anyway) but all the [b]extra [/b]revenue generated to other networks that charge forty or so pence per minute for such calls. Where will this revenue end up? Shareholders and fat-cat CEOs of course.

[/quote]

It's an NGO 0870 Bonanza for Mobile Operators from every Disaster, on the back of the Nations goodwill.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 5:18pm

If you look in their FAQ section they still maintain that 0870 is charged at National Rate.

See http://www.dec.org.uk/index.cfm/asset_id,924/index.html      

Question No 13.!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2005 at 5:19pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 5:35pm

I see it's now saying "... at [b]a [/b]national rate...  "   in response to a suggestion that it [b]is[/b] expensive.  At least that's beginning to acknowledge perhaps there IS more than one, but as we all know National Rate is now a meaningless expression being used to deceive the Nation

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 5:44pm

[quote author=joe65  link=1129035386/0#10 date=1129048505]I see it's now saying "... at [b]a [/b]national rate...  "   in response to a suggestion that it [b]is[/b] expensive.  At least that's beginning to acknowledge perhaps there IS more than one, but as we all know National Rate is now a meaningless expression being used to deceive the Nation [/quote]It (the DEC) will have been told to say this by its masters at British Telecommunications plc as this is the basis of the deceit. It is common to many (most?) UK businesses. One wonders if the people working for these companies and organizations ever actually look at their own phone bills and begin to use some common sense to realize that the calls are not national rate. The national rate myth has been around for ages and what has the UK regulator done? As usual, bugger all as it doesn't care.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #12 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 6:10pm

If Gordon Brown can be so generous as to permit and actually facilitate a 28 % enhancement  on all charitable donations  through Gift Aid (tax relief), then why not legislate  for a universally free national Hotline for Emergency Fund raising.   (a bit like 999 is for  individual Emergencies).

Letting  Mobile Operators away with Charging for 'Freefone' ( 0800 / 0500 ) numbers is where it all started to go wrong.

Do I feel  yet another new number range coming on, for Ofcom to consult on and administer ?

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 7:00pm

I personally get annoyed by the way this country is being run.  We keep being told that we live in a democracy but the reality is we elect one of 'them' and they then go off in their own direction and take no notice of the nation for the next 4 years, till the next election that is.

This seems off-topic, but I hope you see my point in the context of this whole scam.  OfCOM are there as a sort of token 'regulator' to give some sort of impression that the industry is regulated when the big boys know that OfCOM is ineffective and incompetent. 

As for mobile operators charging for free numbers, I don't see why OfCOM isn't replaced by a proper hardline organisation and they aren't given the power to order them to change their ways or just shut the company down at the touch of a button.  I'm sure this would sort out most of the problems we have in the industry at present.  Oh, but that would be too much of a dictatorship wouldn't it?  And we can't have that. Roll Eyes

Sorry to rant on but a recent series of local government actions has made me very bitter about the current state of our nation. Angry

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #14 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 9:43pm

I agree entirely Smasher, and it does not even seem to matter which particular "name" of party is in power. They are all the same. As soon as they have been elected they appoint all their own cronies and feather their own nests. As the saying goes "Power corrupts" and this was never so true as it is today.

Due to the fact that all the heads of these Quangos like Ofwat, Ofgem, Ofcom etc. are appointed because they are cronies that is why we never get any proper regulation which takes the interests of the consumers (the members of the electorate) into account. I think the problem is that we never had a proper Revolution in this country. We had at least one significant Civil War, but that is not quite the same.

The offence of Treason is still on the statute book though, I understand, so why are none of these leaders ever accused with this, which is what most of them in reality commit, and brought into the Tower through the Traitor's Gate and dealt with accordingly?

To allow and condone by default this sort of exploitation of those suffering tragedy and disaster just demonstrates the true contempt of politicians towards those who elect them, as well as the fact that they have no real moral values or scruples. They see us all as pure cannon fodder.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2005 at 11:11pm by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge