Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Disallowed HTTP Referer! ("") (Read 50,839 times)
wacs

Disallowed HTTP Referer! ("")
Feb 21st, 2007 at 3:35pm

I have had problems adding a number to the database here http://www.saynoto0870.com/add.php, getting a message: Disallowed HTTP Referer! ("") Does anyone know what this means?

I don't think I've downloaded anything new on my computer recently, and have tried to access that page on both mozilla (my standard browser) and IE and both have same message.

Any ideas?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Disallowed HTTP Referer! ("")
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 3:47pm

Go to the home page and then click the 'add' link. It works that way.  Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2007 at 3:48pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 6:59pm

When you visit a webpage under certain circumstances your browser will pass on the website address of the site you were just visiting - known as referral information.

The database has been suffering from a lot of automated spam recently and as such Daniel, site admin, has recently introduced new things to try and stop this.  The most noticable one was the introduction of a verification code which is commonly found on a lot of things these days along with only allowing entries to be added providing users only accessed it via normal methods (ie clicking on it from the main page).

IP Logged

wacs

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 9:12pm

Thank you Dave and bbb_uk   Smiley

I have tried to access it from the www.saynoto0870.com homepage a few times instead, but still getting same message.

I have tried deleting my browsing info before visiting the homepage (history, cookies, 'authenticated sessions', and cache) however still giving identical message, both in IE and mozilla.  Undecided

I've also tried this on same computer different network, same message.

@bbb_uk I first accessed it from a blank google page, www.google.co.uk is my homepage. 

Is anyone else having similar problems?

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 5:45pm

wacs wrote on Feb 21st, 2007 at 9:12pm:
I have tried to access it from the www.saynoto0870.com homepage a few times instead, but still getting same message.
Do you have any security software installed that is purposely removing the http referral field everytime you visit a website?  Some security/privacy software does this although in my opinion it's harmless to allow http referral field to be sent as some website links may not work.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 8:58pm

The message will be gobbledygook to most, so they will not know what to do to correct it. Can we have either a more explanatory message, or preferably, in place of the current message, a link that goes takes you to the add form?

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 10:05pm

I agree my message probably wouldn't make much sense so try this:-

Click [url=http://analyze.privacy.net/]here[/url] ignoring any pop-up or prompt about installing an add-on from adobe as it's not needed.

You should then be taken to a webpage that will display a lot of things like screen resolution size but what is important is if there is any referral information.  To check this look down for the heading:

[size=14][b]You linked from here:[/b][/size]

You should then hopefully see something like:

http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1172072151/0

If you don't see the above website link then it is likely that you have security/privacy software running that is removing this.

Please let us know how you get on.

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2008 at 6:26pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 3:18pm

This has now been improved. If you visit the 'add a number' page from another site, it gives a link to the add form which you can click.

Try clicking the link on these Google results and you will see what I mean.  Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2007 at 3:19pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

wallaby

Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 10:27am

I'm getting the same thing. I use Firefox 1.5 or IE7. When I used the browser test link in IE it does show the referrer, in firefox it doesn't. I get the disallowed referrer error in both browsers. I dont't have anything else installed that will be removing the referrer.
I really like the site and want to add numbers - but I'm not going to uninstall privacy/anti-virus software/change browser settings to do so ... !

BTW have you seen skype's firefox extension? It highlights phone numbers on webpages and allows you to make calls direct from the page - I guess you could do a similar thing, scan the page for NGNs and then provide a link to look it up for a GN? just a thought for your wishlist...

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #9 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 11:29am

Welcome wallaby,

wallaby wrote on Mar 4th, 2007 at 10:27am:
I'm getting the same thing. I use Firefox 1.5 or IE7. When I used the browser test link in IE it does show the referrer, in firefox it doesn't. I get the disallowed referrer error in both browsers. I dont't have anything else installed that will be removing the referrer.
I'm at a loss then.  If clicking on this page gives you the referral information which should begin with 'http://www.saynoto0870.com......' then you should be able to add numbers.

I've just tried with FF v2 (normally I use IE7 like you) and the referral field was shown as it should and I could add numbers to the database.

Do you mind listing your security/spyware, etc software so that it can be determined if these are blocking it?  It could be a setting in one of them.

However, if you can see the referral field information by clicking on the link you should be able to add numbers to the database.

Quote:
I really like the site and want to add numbers - but I'm not going to uninstall privacy/anti-virus software/change browser settings to do so ... !
Wouldn't expect you to and I don't recommend it.

Quote:
BTW have you seen skype's firefox extension? It highlights phone numbers on webpages and allows you to make calls direct from the page - I guess you could do a similar thing, scan the page for NGNs and then provide a link to look it up for a GN? just a thought for your wishlist...
There is already a FireFox extension that does something similar - see here.

Your help on this would be appreciated as the last thing we want to do is stop people adding numbers via legitimate methods (ie not spam).
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2008 at 6:32pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

vinyamar777

Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 10:30am

Previously selecting SN2 from [Favourites] has caused no problems, but now I'm getting the disallowed thing.  A thing that gets me is that hitting [contact] gets the same message, dissallowing contact to report the problem, thus I'm on this thread to see what's what.  I haven't yet checked out solutions offered, but wht doesn't SN2 at the least say something on the main pages about this problem - I wondered if I have been blacklisted, and it could put quite a few off trying to input new numbers.

IP Logged

wacs

Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 7:18pm

Hello!   Smiley

Have been busy and waylaid...  (v sorry)

Still having the same problem.

I have tried the suggestions;

bbb_uk wrote on Feb 22nd, 2007 at 10:05pm:
I agree my message probably wouldn't make much sense so try this:-
Click here.
For me, it didn't have a link giving any referrer information or "You linked from here: further down the page", but it did give other technical info. 

bbb_uk wrote on Mar 4th, 2007 at 11:29am:
wallaby wrote on Mar 4th, 2007 at 10:27am:
Wouldn't expect you to and I don't recommend it.

I was thinking this, too

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #12 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 8:27am

It seems to me that you have security software/anti-spyware/privacy software installed and one of its features maybe to hide the http referral information.

If I had a list of any related security/anti-spyware/privacy software installed I could check to see if any do have this option.

The http referral information is sent normally by all browsers and can't be turned off in IE (as far as I'm aware) but I don't use FireFox that much so can't be certain if it can or not in FireFox.

IP Logged

wacs

Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 9:46am

I'd really like to add numbers, but like vinyamar, not sure I want to take off the http referrer thing in order to do so. 

I would imagine people who are not part of the site and just adding a number may not be as persistent in this case, so the site may be missing out on numbers being added as a result.  This may be offset by the reduction of whatever problem it was brought to address, so that may not be a bad thing.

In the meantime, could we have a thread dedicated for adding numbers, so those of us that can't can post them there? The majority who don't have the http referrer problem can add them to the database as and when they can?    Wink

IP Logged

wallaby

Reply #14 - Mar 12th, 2007 at 9:30am

hmm - mixed results!
I looked at my firefox config and it turns out it *was* blocking the referrer field - no idea how that got set.
However that doesn't seem to be the end of it ... (FYI to check this put 'about:config' in as the url and then scroll down to network.http.sendRefererHeader. If it is bold, the value has been changed - should be 2)

So anyway, set that back and then restarted the browser. I used the privacy.net analyser and now the referrer shows up - hurrah!

However when I then go to http://www.saynoto0870.com/add.php I still get 'bad referrer' - aaargh! So now the same thing is happening with Firefox as IE7

I am behind an ISP-supplied firewall but I don't think it is clever enough to selectively remove the referrer header...

For the record -
Windows XP Home (SP2, latest patches)
Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.10 (latest patch for 1.5)
IE 7 (latest patch)
AVG anti-virus
ewido anti-spyware (installed but not running)

other running processes (getting really desperate now Wink
nokia PC suite

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge