Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Barclaycard Collections (Mercers Debt Collections) (Read 20,640 times)
postman

Barclaycard Collections (Mercers Debt Collections)
Aug 2nd, 2007 at 7:12pm

Just received a text telling me my Barclaycard account is overdue and i shouldn't use the card. The phone is new and only the family know the number.

The number, 0870 366 5390, is not listed in the search and does not match Billycard's entry in the main section.

Is this a scam number?

See also thread for Mercers Debt Collectors Ltd here

~ Edited by Dave: Thread title amended
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2007 at 12:40pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

crabtree

Wigan
Re: Barclaycard Scam??
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 8:03pm

There's a number in the database of 0870 366 5389, one digit away which gives 0151 473 2528, could be worth a try.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 8:04pm

Hello Postman; welcome to the site.

From what you report it would appear yes.

Please report it to Barclaycard using the appropriate number from this site, prefixing your call with 141. If it is a scam then Barclaycard really are the people to chase it.

Please let us know how you get on.

IP Logged

crabtree

Wigan
Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 8:15pm

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 8:17pm

I am pretty sure it is a scam. I rang the number, it answers with BARCLAYCARD NEW AUTOMATED SERVICE and goes on to ask for the 16 digit card number starting with 4929 or 5301.

It may be of interest that the provider of 0870 366 .... numbers is Cable & Wireless.

Your phone number may be new to you and your family but is known to your service provider and numbers can also be randomly generated by the scammers.

This is very much in line with scam emails asking to "verify" or "confirm" account details on line.

Report it to Barclays without delay, as suggested by Tanllan.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 2:13am

I wouldn't have any particular inclination to report any possible fraud to Barclaycard - a widespread abuser of 0870 numbers which I consider to be fraud in itself. Just look at its 'contact us' page on its website to see the multiple 0870 numbers in use.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

postman

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 8:33am

Many thanks for the prompt replies. I won't be reporting this to Billycard - I had already checked this site and know how much they like to use 0870 numbers. I might report it to a friendly trading standards officer though. In that way Barclaycard and others might actually do something about it.

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 8:52am

Quote:
I wouldn't have any particular inclination to report any possible fraud to Barclaycard

Keep in mind that although banks normally foot the bill for fraudulent transactions the customer may be considered responsible if he/she acted negligently. Therefore reporting this particular fraud, if it was indeed fraud, would be in the interest of the customer.

Giving security information to a caller who claims to be from a bank but whose identity cannot be verified could in my view be described as negligence.

I recently had an attempted fraud on my credit card.  The bank (NatWest) called and asked me to call them back on the number shown on the back of the card and only then did I have to give security details. By the way, on the back of the card both an 0870 and a geographic number (in the international format) are given and I obviously called the geographic number.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 2:21pm

crabtree wrote on Aug 2nd, 2007 at 8:03pm:
There's a number in the database of 0870 366 5389, one digit away which gives 0151 473 2528, could be worth a try.

This 0151 is also in the unverified database as being for Mercers Debt Collections Ltd.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2007 at 2:21pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

postman

Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 7:26pm

Called Barclaycard today to discuss the matter with them - they "didn't think" it was them but they admitted to having an automated reminder service. To be honest they weren't arsed if this number was fraudulent or not. Are they making so much money they could afford to lose a bit.

Anyway later today a couple of missed calls were noted on the mobile. When the number - 0845 300 7027 - showed up again I answered and a bird asked for a name I didn't recognise. I asked who she was and she gave me a name like Miss Something. I asked who she represented and she hesitated before asking me if I was this other name. She eventually said she was from Barclaycard but would not give a proper landline number or a mailing address.

After satisfying herself I was not the woman she was after she agreed the number will be deleted from their systems.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 3:44pm

Perhaps another reason to use the Nationwide cards, aside from Nationwide's not taking the iniquitous 2.75% for foreign currency transactions.

IP Logged

Johnny Debt

Re: Barclaycard Collections (Mercers Debt Collecti
Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 6:33am

Dave wrote on Aug 3rd, 2007 at 2:21pm:
crabtree wrote on Aug 2nd, 2007 at 8:03pm:

This 0151 is also in the unverified database as being for Mercers Debt Collections Ltd.

I am in the process of making a debt map, and Barclaycard is linked to Mercers.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2009 at 8:40pm by Dave »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge