Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Early Day Motion - Public body phone charges (Read 4,686 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Early Day Motion - Public body phone charges
Mar 13th, 2008 at 9:48am

To date there are 46 signatures.

Quote:
EDM 930

PUBLIC BODY TELEPHONE CHARGES          18.02.2008

MacNeil, Angus

That this House notes with concern that people on low incomes are having to pay up to 40 pence a minute to call public bodies, including the Department for Work and Pensions where, for example, a 15 minute call to the Benefit Enquiry Line can cost £6.00 if made from a mobile telephone or through a cable company; welcomes Ofcom guidance which recommends the use of normal geographical numbers alongside 08 numbers; and encourages all public bodies to use 03 numbers which cost the same as local calls.

More details, including a list of those MPs who have signed it, here.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
EDM - Accessing government helplines from mobiles
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 7:24am

As mentioned on the Parliamentary update thread, there is another Early Day Motion which is of interest to us.

Quote:
EDM 1285

ACCESSING GOVERNMENT HELPLINES FROM MOBILE TELEPHONES 31.03.2008

Goldsworthy, Julia

That this House notes many Government-run helplines such as the Tax Credit Helpline, Benefit Enquiry Line, Pension Service and Social Fund use numbers with an 0800 or 0845 prefix; further notes that these numbers are widely advertised and are recognised as free phone and local rate numbers, despite the fact that mobile network operators connect customers to these services at premium rates; is concerned that low income users of these helplines without access to a landline incur disproportionate costs in accessing taxpayer funded services; urges the Government to consider reviewing legislation so that 0800 numbers are genuinely free to all users; and calls on the Government to investigate providing all essential Government-run helplines, where no alternative face to face service is provided, free of charge at the point of use.

More details, including a list of MPs who have signed it here.

IP Logged

stuartpalmer

Highlands of Scotland
Re: Early Day Motion - Public body phone charges
Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:25pm

After reading this, I e-mailed my MP (LibDem) asking for his support (first time I have done anything like that).  Yesterday a response arrived on very posh House of Commons stationery (which impressed my postman as much as myself).

A couple of extracts from his letter:

"Dealing with call centres - whether central government or big business - needs exceptional patience at the best of times.  How absurd then that some of the poorest and most vulnerable people can be left waiting on expensive phone lines, especially when using a mobile phone, while trying to access financial help."

" ...please be assured we will continue to campaign on this issue."

So it seems like the message is getting through.  Now if only we can convince the other 600-odd MPs!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge