Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Parliamentary update (Read 500,490 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: Parliamentary update
Reply #255 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 11:35pm

Early Day Motions

1285 ACCESSING GOVERNMENT HELPLINES FROM MOBILE TELEPHONES 31:3:08

Julia Goldsworthy
Mrs Linda Riordan
John Bercow
Martin Horwood
Mr Jeremy Browne
Sandra Gidley
Greg Mulholland

That this House notes many Government-run helplines such as the Tax Credit Helpline, Benefit Enquiry Line, Pension Service and Social Fund use numbers with an 0800 or 0845 prefix; further notes that these numbers are widely advertised and are recognised as free phone and local rate numbers, despite the fact that mobile network operators connect customers to these services at premium rates; is concerned that low income users of these helplines without access to a landline incur disproportionate costs in accessing taxpayer funded services; urges the Government to consider reviewing legislation so that 0800 numbers are genuinely free to all users; and calls on the Government to investigate providing all essential Government-run helplines, where no alternative face to face service is provided, free of charge at the point of use.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #256 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 12:06am

Browsing through the parliamentary committee calendar, I notice that Ed Richards will be facing his annual "grilling" before the BERR select committee on Tuesday 22 April.

This is the only time when Ofcom is called to account. Citizens may wish to informally suggest questions or points for discussion to committee members, who are listed here, or more properly make representations through their MP.

I will be offering a briefing for members of the committee to consider during their April break.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #257 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 12:23am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Apr 3rd, 2008 at 12:06am:
Browsing through the parliamentary committee calendar, I notice that Ed Richards will be facing his annual "grilling" before the BERR select committee on Tuesday 22 April.

This is the only time when Ofcom is called to account. Citizens may wish to informally suggest questions or points for discussion to committee members, who are listed here, or more properly make representations through their MP.

I will be offering a briefing for members of the committee to consider during their April break.

Well spotted SCV.

I must also suggest some questions on which Mr Richards can be grilled.

Unless anyone's MP is on this committee then I think they will only get their question asked by suggesting it directly to members of the committee.  Your own MP will just send back a letter making suitable soothing noises but not have a chance to put the overpaid Mr Richards on the spot.

Hmmm. Checking the Parliamentary Committee Calendar for your leisure - it seems to me you obviously missed your vocation as either a political lobbyist, an investigative journalist or possibly even a Parliamentarian. Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2008 at 12:27am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #258 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 1:19am

NGMsGhost wrote on Apr 3rd, 2008 at 12:23am:
Unless anyone's MP is on this committee then I think they will only get their question asked by suggesting it directly to members of the committee.

MPs undertake a lot of work dealing with representations from their own constituents, that is their duty, and they are perfectly entitled to disregard communications from others. Helpful briefings in connection with other duties, e.g. membership of a committee, may be welcomed by some members, but I would not wish to solicit a mass lobby, other than through proper channels.

I would urge and advise those contacting any MP other than their own to only offer briefings, not to demand action.

It is regretable that Ofcom's accountability is so weak, these annual sessions rarely include any true "grilling", but if we wish to promote change for the better, this must initially be attempted through the process as it exists.

The main calendar sections of www.parliament.uk have recently been revamped and are now readily accessible to all.

I am only prepared to discuss my career and entertain job offers outside this public forum, although I am happy to graciously accept what I take as a compliment.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #259 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 12:45am

Order Book Part 1

Questions for Oral or Written Answer
beginning on Monday 21 April 2008
(the 'Questions Book')

Part 1: Written Questions for Answer on
Monday 21 April 2008

Julia Goldsworthy (Falmouth & Camborne): To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public are in use by (i) his Department and (ii) agencies which report to his Department.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #260 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 1:30am

Why don't any of these MPs ever ask about the processes by which these numbers came to be used by these department.  Surely nothing is to be gained by repeatedly asking  how many of these numbers they have at this stage in the game.

<div style=

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #261 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 12:36pm

Quote:
Why don't any of these MPs ever ask about the processes by which these numbers came to be used by these department.

From what I have read here, it looks like this is part of that quaint 'protocol' that your elected representatives follow.

I suppose it goes along with getting your snout in the trough................  Grin

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #262 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 1:05pm

mikeinnc wrote on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 12:36pm:
that quaint 'protocol'

The problem with written ministerial answers is that anything but a request for simple facts that are relevant to the duites of the department, certain to exist and easy to provide can be fobbed off.

Questions for oral answer are more likely to get a meaningful response, because the questioner has the chance to ask a supplementary question that can highlight the deficiencies of an inadequate answer. Unlike questions for written answer however, these are rationed.

More tightly rationed still are adjournment and Westminster Hall debates. These do however get a meaningful ministerial response.

Important as this issue is, those granted these rationed resources for scrutiny of the government have to use them in accordance with the current perceived priorities of their constituents.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #263 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 1:13am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 21 Apr 2008 (pt 0021)

Departmental Telephone Services

Julia Goldsworthy: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public are in use by (i) her Department and (ii) agencies which report to her Department. [200131]

Jim Fitzpatrick: The following 0800, 0845 and 0870 telephone numbers for the public are currently in use by the Department for Transport and its agencies:

Services provided 0800 0845 0870

DFT Central
Heathrow Consultation Line

DVLA
Information services, automated self services, technical helpdesks and reporting unlicensed vehicles

HA
HA Information Line (HAIL) and Central Switchboard for Traffic England phone service and publications

DSA
Related to practical and theory driving test bookings
(1)4

MCA
MCA Infoline

VOSA
Public Hotline, Operator license credit card payment scheme and national number

VCA

GCDA

(1) Will be terminated later in 2008 and replaced by 0300 numbers

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority: Telephone Services

Mr. Laurence Robertson: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what discussions she has had with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA) on the average time taken for callers to speak to the DVLA department of their choice; and if she will make a statement. [199016]

Jim Fitzpatrick: The average time taken to answer a customer (in seconds) once they have made an appropriate choice from within the Agency's interactive voice response units (IVR's) over the last six months is:

Average time (seconds)

March 2008

February 2008

January 2008

December 2007

November 2007

October 2007

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #264 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 1:21am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 21 Apr 2008 (pt 0011)

Julia Goldsworthy: To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public are in use by (i) her Department and (ii) agencies which report to her Department. [200121]

Mr. Dhanda: Communities and Local Government and its agencies has one non-geographical telephone number to provide information to homeowners in relation to energy performance certificates (0845 365 2468). A third party manages this service on behalf of the Department. The Department does not derive any revenue from this service.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #265 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 1:41am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 21 Apr 2008 (pt 0074)

Julia Goldsworthy: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public are in use by (i) his Department and (ii) agencies which report to his Department. [200124]

Derek Twigg: The use of 0800, 0845 or 0870 numbers in the Department and its agencies is determined at local level in accordance with individual business requirements and ordered directly from the supplier. Records of these numbers are not held centrally and could be provided only at disproportionate cost.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #266 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 1:42am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 21 Apr 2008 (pt 0092)

Julia Goldsworthy: To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport what (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public are in use by (i) his Department and (ii) agencies which report to his Department. [200122]

Mr. Sutcliffe: Neither my Department nor the Royal Parks Agency has any 0800, 0845 or 0870 numbers for public use.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #267 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 1:46am

EDM 1285 update:

ACCESSING GOVERNMENT HELPLINES FROM MOBILE TELEPHONES 31.03.2008

Goldsworthy, Julia   52 signatures 

Alexander, Danny   Bercow, John   Bottomley, Peter 
Breed, Colin   Brooke, Annette   Browne, Jeremy 
Cable, Vincent   Campbell, Gregory   Carmichael, Alistair 
Caton, Martin   Clark, Katy   Corbyn, Jeremy 
Cryer, Ann   Davey, Edward   Dean, Janet 
Devine, Jim   Dismore, Andrew   Drew, David 
Durkan, Mark   Foster, Michael Jabez   Gidley, Sandra 
Harris, Evan   Holmes, Paul   Horwood, Martin 
Hoyle, Lindsay   Hughes, Simon   Hunter, Mark 
Illsley, Eric   Jenkins, Brian   Jones, Lynne 
Leech, John   MacNeil, Angus   McCafferty, Chris 
McGrady, Eddie   Mulholland, Greg   Oaten, Mark 
Osborne, Sandra   Pope, Greg   Pugh, John 
Rennie, Willie   Riordan, Linda   Rogerson, Daniel 
Russell, Bob   Simpson, David   Smith, Robert 
Taylor, David   Vis, Rudi   Wareing, Robert N 
Williams, Betty   Williams, Stephen   Willis, Phil 

That this House notes many Government-run helplines such as the Tax Credit Helpline, Benefit Enquiry Line, Pension Service and Social Fund use numbers with an 0800 or 0845 prefix; further notes that these numbers are widely advertised and are recognised as free phone and local rate numbers, despite the fact that mobile network operators connect customers to these services at premium rates; is concerned that low income users of these helplines without access to a landline incur disproportionate costs in accessing taxpayer funded services; urges the Government to consider reviewing legislation so that 0800 numbers are genuinely free to all users; and calls on the Government to investigate providing all essential Government-run helplines, where no alternative face to face service is provided, free of charge at the point of use. 

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #268 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 1:49am

EDM 108 update

USE OF 0844 TELEPHONE NUMBERS IN GP SURGERIES 06.11.2007

Stuart, Graham   70 signatures 

Anderson, David   Baldry, Tony   Bottomley, Peter 
Brake, Tom   Breed, Colin   Cable, Vincent 
Campbell, Gregory   Caton, Martin   Clark, Katy 
Conway, Derek   Crausby, David   Cryer, Ann 
Dean, Janet   Devine, Jim   Dismore, Andrew 
Dodds, Nigel   Drew, David   Durkan, Mark 
Etherington, Bill   Evans, Nigel   Foster, Michael Jabez 
George, Andrew   Gidley, Sandra   Godsiff, Roger 
Hamilton, David   Hancock, Mike   Harris, Evan 
Harvey, Nick   Heyes, David   Hodgson, Sharon 
Holmes, Paul   Hopkins, Kelvin   Horam, John 
Hosie, Stewart   Howarth, David   Hoyle, Lindsay 
Illsley, Eric   Jenkins, Brian   Lamb, Norman 
Leech, John   Maclean, David   MacNeil, Angus 
Marsden, Gordon   McCafferty, Chris   McCrea, Dr William 
McDonnell, John   McGrady, Eddie   Moss, Malcolm 
Murphy, Denis   Naysmith, Doug   O'Hara, Edward 
Reed, Andy   Robinson, Iris   Rowen, Paul 
Russell, Bob   Simpson, Alan   Simpson, David 
Spink, Bob   Taylor, David   Vaz, Keith 
Vis, Rudi   Wareing, Robert N   Williams, Betty 
Williams, Mark   Willis, Phil   Wilshire, David 
Winterton, Ann   Winterton, Nicholas   Younger-Ross, Richard 

That this House notes that more than 1,200 GP surgeries across the country have installed telephone systems using 0844 numbers; further notes that these systems are more expensive to use than a local call with patients being charged 5 pence per minute from a landline and up to 40 pence per minute from a mobile; further notes that for many people, calling their local GP surgery can be a stressful and worrying time and that high call charges will have a particular impact on the chronically ill, the old, the disabled and those on low incomes; notes that the practice of charging people extra to call their local GP is unsatisfactory; and calls upon the Secretary of State for Health to put an end to it with immediate effect. 

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #269 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 2:26am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 25 Apr 2008 (pt 0007)

Julia Goldsworthy: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public are in use by (i) his Department and (ii) agencies which report to his Department. [200126]

Meg Munn: There are no 0800, 0845, or 0870 telephone numbers for the public directly in use by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) or its agencies. A contractor, on behalf of consular department of the FCO, runs the Travel Advice service which is accessed via an 0845 number.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 32
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge