Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print
BT to make 0870 & 0845 numbers free (Read 230,917 times)
Keith

Surrey
Re: BT to make 0870 & 0845 numbers free
Reply #30 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 4:55pm

I agree with NGMGhost on this issue re the problem is not solved.

I think it is a very clever competitive move by BT.

However lots of organisations who shouldn't be profiting from these numbers will still be doing so. They will still be doing so at BTs customers expense as this will be a cost to BT that they have to recover from us their customers. Also if you are with another supplier, use a mobile, use a payphone or dial 0844 or 0871 you will still be paying.

As I have mentioned before I have absolutely no objection to premium rate numbers (I use 09 numbers) provided they are not used by public services and that if used by private commercial organisations they are properly regulated with clear accurate information eg don't call them local, clearly state the cost in print and when the call is answered, don't allow waiting times past a limited number of seconds, etc, etc. The 08XX numbers fail on all these counts.

Although the BT announcement is good news and will clearly stir up a can or worms and will highlight the issue (particularly with 0844 numbers - what will NEG do now?), we mustn't let the media think that the problem has now gone way - it hasn't.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #31 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 5:06pm

Maybe BT is expecting Ofcom to (finally) stop revenue sharing on 0870 and return it to geographical rate.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #32 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 5:31pm

Keith wrote on Jan 8th, 2009 at 4:55pm:
I agree with NGMGhost on this issue re the problem is not solved.

I think we all agree; this does nothing whatsoever to change the nature of revenue sharing, it simply shuffles the source of the income and enables a few people to avoid having to hit the SayNo database.

It is vital to combat any suggestion that this is anything more than a benefit to some BT customers; apparently 1.4M are on Anytime, 4.3M on Evenings and the remaining 7.9M on Weekends. The intention is that the total number will increase with a bias towards Anytime.

It is the revenue sharing that is the point at issue, regardless of how the OCP juggles its income.

I am grateful to a friend of the campaign who has provided this recording of a piece from BBC Radio 5Live broadcast just before 1:00 today.

IP Logged

Graham

Reply #33 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 5:44pm

Presumably, for every other telco that BT has an interconnection with, there is an interconnection agreement which specifies the termination rates payable by each party, and those agreements are reviewed periodically. So all BT has to do is at the next renewal of such agreements only agree to much lower termination rates for 0845 and 0870 outgoing calls from their network, then this move costs them nothing while they gain from the publicity and increased take up of inclusive calls packages.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #34 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 5:53pm

Graham wrote on Jan 8th, 2009 at 5:44pm:
Presumably, for every other telco that BT has an interconnection with, there is an interconnection agreement which specifies the termination rates payable by each party, and those agreements are reviewed periodically. So all BT has to do is at the next renewal of such agreements only agree to much lower termination rates for 0845 and 0870 outgoing calls from their network, then this move costs them nothing while they gain from the publicity and increased take up of inclusive calls packages.

The termination rates BT pays to other telephone providers for calls to their 08xx and 09xx numbers are regulated. As a result of today's change they will have to be reviewed. BT is allowed to keep a tiny amount (I say tiny relative to the retail charge).

The rates paid out by BT when calling from one of its lines are the same for all terminating telcos except where the call ends with BT.

In the short term it will cost BT because the termination rates haven't been adjusted.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2009 at 6:00pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #35 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 6:39pm

The situation with termination rates is complicated further as there has been an ongoing dispute between BT and many other telcos about lower termination rates on 0870 calls as proposed by BT in the Summer of 2007 (Ref CW/00963/07/07). Resolution of this is necessary before Ofcom can consider proceeding with implementation of its proposed regulatory changes for 0870, which it had intended to do for February 2008.

The case has been suspended since late 2007 as Ofcom's proposed resolution was seen to be invalid, due to the method used to resolve another case (Ref CW/00942/12/06) having been challenged. This challenge was deemed to be succesful by the Competition Appeals Tribunal, however a revised acceptable method has yet to be developed and proved in that other case. Only when this is done could Ofcom resolve this case and get back on track with the proposed changes to 0870.

In the meantime BT has no choice but to continue paying the high termination rates, as any other proposed change would surely be challenged. It will now be ceasing to collect extra (indeed any) revenue from some calls. Anyone who understands all of this may wish to speculate about what the next moves will be and what impact today's announcement may have on any regulatory and potential judicial determinations.

As to whether any similar situation could arise with 0845, when Ofcom has not even started looking at this in the context of its review of NTS, is a matter for speculation only by real experts.

As for 0844 with its 18 different call types .......

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #36 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 9:52pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 8th, 2009 at 1:50pm:
Also if everyone moves to BT and calls these 084/7 numbers during the inclusive minutes periods the cost of these packages will soon begin to spiral upwards as the underlying problem of the high termination cost of 084/7 calls is not being addressed by this move.
I think we can all agree that this will happen.

There is no such thing as "free"in this country!  BT will still have to pay termination rates to those CPs for any 084/087 numbers that do not belong to BT and as this is no longer recoverable at all from BT customers who have inclusive plans (myself included), it will eventually mean an increase in not only cost of chargable calls/inclusive plans but possibly things like calling features and line rental.

Sky did something similar when they said calls from their price plans to their customer services would be free but of course they also raised their 0845/0870 substantially to the same price (I believe) as Virgin.

Although I do get our calls from BT and will continue to stay with them until such time as they increase their plans, etc or another supplier becomes cheaper than BT and I still get freedom to route calls as I see fit (unlike what Sky do).

Any bets on a timeframe when BT will announce price increases on their plans?  I believe about 6months+ lol

IP Logged

jimjim

Reply #37 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 6:38am

jrawle wrote on Jan 8th, 2009 at 3:32pm:
sherbert wrote on Jan 8th, 2009 at 3:12pm:
jimjim wrote on Jan 8th, 2009 at 3:04pm:
   At least I am not paying for the call, as far as I can remember calls to "customer service" have always been 0800. with BT .      Shocked

Only since last April

Are we talking about phone or broadband customer services? For residential phone customers the number has always been 0800 800 150, or just 150 from a BT line. And when I took over my current line just over two years ago, I was able to call that free from the phonebox round the corner, and as an alternative to waiting in a queue, it gave me the option of being called back on my mobile. So I went home, and someone called me within the hour.

Don't know anything about BT Broadband customer services, though. I don't see any justification in any broadband supplier charging for customer service when the customer also uses their phone service. After all, there will be no third party costs to pay.

Yes, I meant phone.

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #38 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 8:30am

While many of us are rightly suspicious of BT's motives it's a step in the right direction and gives good publicity to our cause. 0844 and 0871 are still a problem. However these also have legitimate uses, notably "dial through" PAYG services for low cost overseas calls.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #39 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 9:45am

allegro wrote on Jan 9th, 2009 at 8:30am:
While many of us are rightly suspicious of BT's motives it's a step in the right direction and gives good publicity to our cause. 0844 and 0871 are still a problem. However these also have legitimate uses, notably "dial through" PAYG services for low cost overseas calls.

Some 0845 and 0870 numbers are also used for dial-through, and dial-up ISPs traditionally use 0845. BT have said these numbers will be excluded, just as geographical ISP numbers are. This is no reason for BT's offer not being extended to 0844 and 0871.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #40 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 10:22am

That was going to be my next question, why haven't they

This is no reason for BT's offer not being extended to 0844 and 0871

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #41 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 10:57am

sherbert wrote on Jan 9th, 2009 at 10:22am:
That was going to be my next question, why haven't they

This is no reason for BT's offer not being extended to 0844 and 0871

That would certainly encourage people to move to BT's Unlimited Anytime Plan.

It's probably just the costs (losses) they would have to bear.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2009 at 8:14pm by Dave »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #42 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 7:02pm

Heinz wrote on Jan 9th, 2009 at 10:57am:
It's probably just the costs (losses) they would have to bear.
This is probably the only reason.  BT have only done this for publicity and to gain extra customers but they know that a lot of companies on these numbers have already moved to 0844 and/or 0871/2 range so the losses from introducing this now is lot less than if they'd introduced it a year ago or something.

It would not be financially viable to include all 08 number ranges unless, like (expensive rip off) VirginMedia, offer tariffs with limited minutes but include number ranges like 084/087 but at a more hefty price compared to the usual unlimited (albeit geographically charged) plans.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2009 at 8:15pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #43 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 7:26pm

jrawle wrote on Jan 9th, 2009 at 9:45am:
This is no reason for BT's offer not being extended to 0844 and 0871.

0871 calls are mostly 10 pence a minute

No chance of underwriting hundreds of minutes of those on an inclusive package for a few quid

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #44 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 7:56pm

When considering the limit of the inclusion to 0845 and 0870, the following points may be considered.

The cost of what was done is not as great as may be assumed.

BT has been running calls to 0845 numbers at what would appear to be a loss, when compared with the charges for normal calls, for some time. I have no figures, but I suspect that a very large proportion of the 0845 numbers in use are provided by BT. This would mean that whilst, as a group, it would suffer from providing discounted services with no compensation on these numbers, it would not be suffering the cost of paying out cash to subsidise someone else's services without compensation that would be suffered by other telcos that may follow its lead.

BT still expects Ofcom to go ahead with its long-announced prohibition on revenue sharing for 0870 numbers in the very near future. When I asked today if I could have an additional 0870 number so that I could make a packet out of BT by calling myself at the weekend, I was told that I could. I was however warned (before I declared the likely source of the calls), that BT was not recommending customers to use 0870 numbers because it expected the revenue sharing deal to have to end very soon.

The cost of adding 0844 would be much greater.

Also, BT will gain in other ways.

We must also remember that only 1.4 million of the 14 million customers said to be benefitting are currently on the Anytime plan. If others misunderstand the publicity around this announcement and now start making lots of daytime calls to 0845, 0870 and even 0844 numbers in the mistaken belief that they are free, then some of the cost involved in the move would be recovered.

There is also the benefit to be achieved from encouraging more to sign up for the Anytime plan. Some would do so in the mistaken belief that this would enable them to call their GP's 0844 number for free.

These benefits would not be enhanced significantly by adding 0844.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge