Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
BT to make 0870 & 0845 numbers free (Read 231,710 times)
jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: BT to make 0870 & 0845 numbers free
Reply #60 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 8:15pm

Look at this article in a GPs' magazine (comment from a familiar name noted):
http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=23&storycode=4121599&c=2

The lead says it all:
Quote:
BT has scrapped call charges for 0845 and 0870 numbers in a move which could ease pressure on GPs to ditch their 084 numbers.

Note the careful wording: charges to 0845 scrapped means reduced pressure for GPs to ditch 084 numbers.

This article, in a medical profession publication, gives away the fact that GPs will be delighted now, as although the numbers they use will not be free, they know that many patients will be fooled into believing 0844 numbers are no longer bad, so the nice little earner can continue unhindered.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #61 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 8:23pm

jrawle wrote on Jan 11th, 2009 at 8:15pm:

The lead says it all:
Quote:
BT has scrapped call charges for 0845 and 0870 numbers in a move which could ease pressure on GPs to ditch their 084 numbers.

Note the careful wording: charges to 0845 scrapped means reduced pressure for GPs to ditch 084 numbers.

You will note that there is a section under the article for Readers Comments and that one particular reader of their website has already submitted some Readers Comments.  I have also submitted some Comments to this website but they have not yet been published as they have still to be approved by the editor.

Now as I was just a little critical of the article and of GPs in the way that perhaps only I know how perhaps my comments may not be  published but there would be no harm in you also becoming a registered user of this website and also trying to submit some comments of your own too. Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2009 at 8:25pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #62 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 8:33pm

jrawle wrote on Jan 11th, 2009 at 8:15pm:

The lead says it all:
Quote:

This article, in a medical profession publication, gives away the fact that GPs will be delighted now, as although the numbers they use will not be free, they know that many patients will be fooled into believing 0844 numbers are no longer bad, so the nice little earner can continue unhindered.

Indeed. There is a crucial difference between 0844 and 0845 numbers which means that the "pressure" is still fully on those with 0844 numbers. That is not to say it is reduced for those with 0845 numbers, unless a supplementary question on a "customer satisfaction survey" from a surgery was "are you on an all-inclusive BT calling plan?" and the results showed 100% of patients are.

The BT pricing point on 0844 numbers is chosen by the terminating telephone company. In the case of many GPs, it is Opal Telecom, a part of Carphone Warehouse. To include this in a package, originating telephone companies like BT and Virgin Media would have to stand to a termination charge of almost 5ppm, rather than 0.3ppm for geographical calls. Last I heard, these were not registered charities.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2009 at 8:39pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #63 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 8:44pm

Dave wrote on Jan 11th, 2009 at 8:33pm:
The BT pricing point on 0844 numbers is chosen by the terminating telephone company. In the case of many GPs, it is Opal Telecom, a part of Carphone Warehouse. To include this in a package, originating telephone companies like BT and Virgin Media would have to stand to a termination charge of almost 5ppm, rather than 0.3ppm for geographical calls. Last I heard, these were not registered charities.

But despite this BT Payphones still manage to charge 0844 numbers at precisely the same ripoff 20p per minute rate as 0845 and 0870 numbers suggesting some parts of BT think that they are in fact all one and the same thing.  By contrast 01, 02, 03 numbers are only charged at 1p per minute from a Payphone and only 0871 numbers are singled out for being charged at a different and far, far higher rate still (nearly £1 per minute).

So it seems that not all divisions of BT are in fact talking to one another when it comes to their strategy on 084/7 call pricing. Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2009 at 8:45pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

vectra

Reply #64 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 10:51pm

Further to all of the above I am led to believe that BT are actively encouraging their business customers who use 0870 and 0845 numbers to note that they will no longer be getting payments for these geographic numbers and accordingly is advising them to change to 0871 or 0844 numbers.  

In one fell swoop BT have overtly portayed their company as doing a marvelous job for their private customer base by offering a reduction on the cost to dial 0870 and 0845 numbers but are working with their business customers to move away from them.

Another nice bit of business by BT.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #65 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 11:02pm

vectra wrote on Jan 11th, 2009 at 10:51pm:
Further to all of the above I am led to believe that BT are actively encouraging their business customers who use 0870 and 0845 numbers to note that they will no longer be getting payments for these geographic numbers and accordingly is advising them to change to 0871 or 0844 numbers.

So as it is hoped/likely that revenue payments will cease on 0870 in particular, do you think that providers (not just BT) should continue selling them on the basis of being revenue sharing? If companies want a revenue sharing number then they should have one and that is the point of 0844/0871. If they don't, then they should go with 03.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #66 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 11:11pm

In one fell swoop BT have overtly portayed their company as doing a marvelous job for their private customer base by offering a reduction on the cost to dial 0870 and 0845 numbers but are working with their business customers to move away from them.

With 0870 in particular, BT has probably preempted what will be an industry-wide change.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #67 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 11:14pm

This is indeed precisely what dishonest BT are up to.  They make out how they are doing consumers such a great favour letting them use 0870 and 0845 in call packages but have deliberately waited until they have managed to migrate numerous main call centres on to 0844 and 0871 before offering this deal.  And meanwhile 40% of calls are now on mobiles where the consumer is still ripped off more than ever on NTS, even on 0845 and 0870.  Not to mention BT's huge extra revenue source from more than doubling its minimum call charge for residential customers on any calls that are not part of call packages over the last two years.

By the way welcome to the forum. My apologies that our forum moderator (Dave) seems to have failed to welcome you or congratulate you on your highly perceptive comments in your maiden forum post.

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #68 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 11:16pm

... they will no longer be getting payments for these geographic numbers

I suspect, like with the title of this section of the forum, you meant to say "non-geographic".

(You may see that whilst we welcome newbies, we expect very high standards.) Wink

[P.S. I see that whilst I was preparing the original posting, you actually got away with this]

The point you make was borne out by my experience on Friday, when a BT sales rep was adamant that the end of revenue sharing on 0870 had been announced by Ofcom and was expected to come into effect any day now.

The reasons for BT's dislike of 0845 are also covered earlier in this thread, however there is no basis whatsoever for pretending that the revenue sharing is about to end.

[Further P.S.]

On the broader issues - I see no reason not to welcome what BT has done, for what it is. It may actually speed up the death of 0870 and help us to draw attention to the remaining issues with 0844, 0871 and 0845, on the basis that there is no such thing as bad publicity. We must however continue to do all we can to ensure that the implications of this change are not misunderstood.

Perhaps next Friday would be a good day for someone on the BT Evening and Weekends plan to call their GP during surgery hours on a 0845 number, and then discover that the call was not free!
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2009 at 11:28pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #69 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 11:17pm

Dave wrote on Jan 11th, 2009 at 11:11pm:
With 0870 in particular, BT has probably preempted what will be an industry-wide change.

Is this so that they can then stop some of these number users (eg DVLA) moving to 03 and hence leave 0870 in situ within call packages so that consumers are then more easily conned in to ringing 0871 numbers without realising that this is still premium rate. Shocked Angry Cry

Meanwhile 03 fails to takeoff  thus further confusing the consumer about which numbers it is and is not safe to call.  Just as BT intended all along. Angry Angry Angry
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2009 at 11:19pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #70 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 11:36pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 11th, 2009 at 11:17pm:
03 fails to takeoff ...  Just as BT intended all along.

I noted the three frowns, but I think these comments need a fuller explanation if they are intended to be taken seriously.

What is the unusually high expectation against which 03 can be said not to have taken off?

As BT Wholesale makes money out of 03 numbers without any of the adverse publicity that it suffers with 0845, how could it not wish its efforts in marketing 03 numbers used by the Police service to succeed?

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #71 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 11:55pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 11th, 2009 at 11:36pm:
What is the unusually high expectation against which 03 can be said not to have taken off?

The expectation would have otherwise been that all government contact centres like HMRC, NHS Direct and DVLA would eventually be required to move to 03.  This would almost certainly have happened had it not been for BT's recent deliberate efforts to muddy the waters first on 0845 daytime call pricing and now on 0845 and 0870 being included in their call packages.

Quote:
As BT Wholesale makes money out of 03 numbers without any of the adverse publicity that it suffers with 0845, how could it not wish its efforts in marketing 03 numbers used by the Police service to succeed?

BT make far less money on 03 than on even 0845, not to mention far, far less than on 0844, 0870 and 0871.  Thus the more they can do to stop the morally virtuous branding of 03 prefixed contact centres becoming the norm and to allow confusion between now inclusive 0845 and 0870 calls but non inclusive 0844 and 0871 calls to be continued the more the likelihood the public will continue to be conned in to calling 0844 and 0871 so making BT terminated calls lots of money because the public wrongly now think the numbers are part of call packages like 0845 and 0870 now are.

I find it remarkable that I should still need to spell all this out to you SCV when I should have thought what was going on was perfectly obvious to anyone with long time exposure to this campaign.

You will note that Ofcom is even now attempting to allow the 070 PNS con on which the Patientline system depends to remain in place despite having earlier promised they would have to move to the 06 number range.  It is at the absolute heart of the whole NTS hidden money making machine presided over by OfCoN that the public should be totally confused about what phone number prefixes are connected with any given call tariff.

By the way they weren't three frown emoticons but three angry emoticons.  Try hovering your mouse cursor over them and it should give you the description.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2009 at 11:56pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #72 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 12:50am

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 11th, 2009 at 11:55pm:
The expectation would have otherwise been that all government contact centres like HMRC, NHS Direct and DVLA would eventually be required to move to 03.

Is it not a little soon to assume that the already lengthy process of achieving this change has been halted as a result of some modest changes by BT?

BT make far less money on 03 than on even 0845, not to mention far, far less than on 0844, 0870 and 0871.

I am happy to bow to superior knowledge on this matter. I am not aware of how much BT Wholesale takes out of the termination fees it receives, or its charging structure for renting out revenue sharing numbers. I know that there have been complaints about the high charges for renting 03 numbers, but I have no idea what they are, nor how these compare with costs or the relative income from revenue sharing numbers.

I find it remarkable that I should still need to spell all this out to you SCV when I should have thought what was going on was perfectly obvious to anyone with long time exposure to this campaign.

Despite having recently acquired the ill-deserved status of "Supreme Member", I have still not come to believe that all commerce is bound to be based solely on deliberate deceit, except when practiced by one's friends. If one starts from that assumption, it is not difficult to find evidence that may be interpreted and presented to support that view, as if it were an "obvious" conclusion.

the 070 PNS con on which the Patientline system depends

The 070 business is an unforgiveable mess. Does not the further formal relaxation of the prohibition of use of mobiles in hospitals however signal the ultimate demise of the Patientline telephone system?

This is no credit to Ofcom and other scams will doubtless remain, as will always be the case, but is it not a step forward?

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #73 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 1:13am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 12th, 2009 at 12:50am:
The 070 business is an unforgiveable mess. Does not the further formal relaxation of the prohibition of use of mobiles in hospitals however signal the ultimate demise of the Patientline telephone system?

This is no credit to Ofcom and other scams will doubtless remain, as will always be the case, but is it not a step forward?

By why is OfCoN after three years now completely reneging on its earlier commitment to move 070 numbers to 06, even though they should have been moved to 09.  They have completely ignored all their own original arguments and now seem to say that the scammers are struggling to make as much money as they once did so there should now be no regulatory impediment to the smooth course of the activities of the scammers.

Regarding commerce I never said all of it was characterised by scams or illicit activity.  It is purely the telecoms sector and the culture of non transparency in pricing to the consumer that has allowed all of these excuses to expand and develop to their current disgraceful levels.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2009 at 1:21am by Dave »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #74 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 2:41am

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 12th, 2009 at 1:13am:
By why is OfCoN after three years now completely reneging on its earlier commitment to move 070 numbers to 06, even though they should have been moved to 09.

I regret that I have not taken the time to look into this matter closely enough to answer the question. If I owe an apology for having put too much time of my free time into other matters, then please consider it delivered.

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 12th, 2009 at 1:13am:
Regarding commerce I never said all of it was characterised by scams or illicit activity.  It is purely the telecoms sector ...

One does not have to look very far to find other sectors that are more fundamentally flawed in this way. Financial Services and IT come swiftly to mind. That does not however mean that all who work in these sectors deliberately set out to decieve.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge