Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print
BT to make 0870 & 0845 numbers free (Read 231,070 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: BT to make 0870 & 0845 numbers free
Reply #45 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 8:17pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 8th, 2009 at 3:28pm:
Or are you saying that Dave or Daniel will be getting some press coverage for the campaign for a change?

Today's Yorkshire Post, page 9. I will post a link when I find the article online.  Wink

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #46 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 8:43pm

I am not so sure that BT could include 0844 and 0871 calls even if it wanted. The finer detail will have to be checked, but the regulations which apply are as follows:

1) The "NTS Condition" means that the amount BT keeps for originating 08 and 09 calls is kept to cost plus "retail uplift". In essence, the terminating telco (TCP) gets most of the revenue.

2) The pricing point a particular 0844/0871 is on is determined by the TCP. So for the doctors' 0844 blocks, Opal Telecom says that they will be in band g6 (5ppm or thereabouts accepting the VAT rate change).

The TCPs can also decide whether 0844/0871 numbers are allowed to be "discounted" by BT. I think most cannot be discounted.

Thus, for 0844/0871 a TCP can vary the terminating payment it gets by varying BT's retail price of its number block.

With 0845 and 0870 BT is allowed to apply a retail "discount", which means that the amount TCPs get varies whenever BT changes it retail price.

I am assured by Ofcom that BT does not make a loss on 0845 calls at present. The NTS Condition formula regulates how much it is allowed to keep.

New terminating rates will have to be calculated following BT's announcement that it will include 0845 and 0870 in packages.

I will confirm that following the implementation of the new terminating rates BT will not make a loss even if it includes them in packages.

I wonder if BT can discount the retail price of 0844/0871 numbers and not reduce the terminating payment. Not reducing the terminating payment implies it will make a loss as well as breaking the NTS Condition, all be it it is keeping less that it allows.

If BT won't make a loss on 0845/0870 when it includes them in packages and when the termination payments have been changed, then it's unlikely that 0844/0871 will ever change as the business plan is obviously not a loss leader. Furthermore, 0844/0871 cannot be discounted at all.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2009 at 9:03pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #47 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 10:17pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 9th, 2009 at 7:56pm:
When I asked today if I could have an additional 0870 number so that I could make a packet out of BT by calling myself at the weekend, I was told that I could. I was however warned (before I declared the likely source of the calls), that BT was not recommending customers to use 0870 numbers because it expected the revenue sharing deal to have to end very soon.

Nice idea! That's about the only thing that would get me to sign up for the Anytime plan. I could get the fee back in half a day, then make a packet for the rest of the month!

I presume the usual BT conditions will apply: the call will ony be "free" for an hour, after which one must redial. Let's hope that queue to a call centre doesn't last more than an hour.

Also, what will happen to the prices for those of us not on the Anytime plan? Will the cost of 0845 calls still only be half that of geographical calls?

We must also remember that only 1.4 million of the 14 million customers said to be benefitting are currently on the Anytime plan. If others misunderstand the publicity around this announcement and now start making lots of daytime calls to 0845, 0870 and even 0844 numbers in the mistaken belief that they are free, then some of the cost involved in the move would be recovered.

There is also the benefit to be achieved from encouraging more to sign up for the Anytime plan. Some would do so in the mistaken belief that this would enable them to call their GP's 0844 number for free.

Two good points here, both suggesting that some people will hear this announcement, and be tricked into spending more one way or another. If people assume 0844 calls are also included, the result could be disastrous.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #48 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 10:44pm

jrawle wrote on Jan 9th, 2009 at 10:17pm:
some people will hear this announcement, and be tricked into spending more one way or another.

Given the decision that BT had made (which is coherent in the context of a relatively complex structure of call plans) I do not think that any of its own words could be shown to be misleading or intended to decieve. It was however sadly inevitable that some would get carried away in seeking to report the news in a simple way and thereby create a false impression. This happens with every news story in every organ of the media every hour of every day.

Those who market products and services cannot be allowed to mislead or deceive. It is a different matter to prohibit them from doing anything that could possibly be misunderstood, or potentially described in a way that could be misunderstood. We will naturally assume that those whom we oppose are responsible for deliberately seeking to mislead, whereas those we support are the victims of poor journalism. I believe that it is broadly the same for everyone.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #49 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 10:12am

Dave wrote on Jan 9th, 2009 at 8:43pm:
I am assured by Ofcom that BT does not make a loss on 0845 calls at present. The NTS Condition formula regulates how much it is allowed to keep.
If BT doesnt make a loss on 0845 then even allowing a penny or two means other OCPs would be making a profit but then that means Virgin (followed by Sky) that charge extornate rates for calls to 0845/0870 are making an absolute fortune (not including the money they make from "connection" fees).

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #50 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 12:05pm

. When I asked today if I could have an additional 0870 number so that I could make a packet out of BT by calling myself at the weekend, I was told that I could.

To do this, would you not need another line as well, therefore incurring a second line rental?

How can you call yourself on the same line? When I do this I get the engaged tone.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #51 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 12:10pm

Source: Yorkshire Post

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/BT-drops-charges-for-some.4860349.jp

BT drops charges for some high-cost numbers

Published Date: 09 January 2009
By John Roberts

TELECOM giant BT is to scrap its charges for 0870 and 0845 numbers at the centre of a row over public services profiting from them.

Calls to these numbers from a BT landline currently costs 5.8p per a minute but from next week they be included free of charge in customers' call packages.

However, campaigners opposed to the use of high-cost numbers dismissed the move as insignificant as it does not apply to 0844 or 0871 numbers – which are used by many GPs.

Organisations using numbers which begin with 0870, 0871, 0844 or 0845 can share the extra revenue made with the calls provider. More than 200 GPs surgeries and three hospitals in Yorkshire have been criticised for using these numbers which can cost significantly more than normal local calls.

BT announced yesterday that it will scrap its charges for all 0870 and 0845 numbers, which will cost the company £24m.

As well as public services, 0870 and 0845 numbers are also regularly used by banks, building societies and insurance firms.

BT said it was the first UK telephone company to make the numbers free, adding that some competitors charged up to 10p a minute for a daytime 0870 call.

However, campaigners say the BT move will have no significant effect as it does not apply to 0844 numbers – used by more than 50 doctor's surgeries in West Yorkshire and Wakefield-based Mid Yorkshire NHS Trust.

The saynoto0870.com group also claim that 0845 numbers will not be free and will continue to create revenue with money paid from an increased BT rental charge instead of an extra charge for each individual call.

Group spokesman Dave Lindsay, of Doncaster, said: "Even for BT customers these calls will not be free. They will only be covered by the increased charge paid for an inclusive package.

"If this announcement is mistakenly used to make use of 0845 numbers appear more acceptable, this will severely disadvantage the poor who are unable to rent a BT landline and have to use pay-as-you-go mobiles to contact NHS Direct and others, and thereby suffer a greater surcharge on top of higher charges for all calls."

John Petter, managing director of BT's consumer business, said: "We know that the public is frustrated by having to pay higher charges for these numbers, even though BT's rates were cheaper than our rivals, so we worked out a way to go further and include calls to 0870 and 0845 numbers in our call packages.

"These numbers are widely used by banks, utilities and even NHS Direct, and our customers spend 30 minutes a month on average calling these numbers. We hope we have taken a sting out of the price of these calls, but also removed one of those irritations that customers believed was an unfair anomaly."

Which? Magazine last year named and shamed companies and public bodies using these numbers.

Now it has renewed calls for high-cost helplines to be scrapped.

The magazine's principal researcher, Ceri Stanaway, said: "Which? has long said that customers should not have to dial expensive numbers to contact customer service and support helplines, and we're pleased to see that 0845 and 0870 numbers will now be included in BT call packages.

"But there will still be lots of people that don't use BT for their phone calls, or BT customers who have to make an 0870 call that isn't covered by a call plan. These people, plus anyone who rings helplines on 0844 or 0871 numbers, will still often be paying far too much for the privilege."

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #52 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 1:22pm

derrick wrote on Jan 10th, 2009 at 12:05pm:
To do this, would you not need another line as well, therefore incurring a second line rental?

How can you call yourself on the same line? When I do this I get the engaged tone.

I would do it by redirecting my 0870 number to a VoIP line that I have a geographical number for. No need to pay additional line rental!

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #53 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 2:43pm

jrawle wrote on Jan 10th, 2009 at 1:22pm:
derrick wrote on Jan 10th, 2009 at 12:05pm:

I would do it by redirecting my 0870 number to a VoIP line that I have a geographical number for. No need to pay additional line rental!

Don't think that is how SCV suggested it!

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #54 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 12:21am

Detials of this deal are now on the BT website, and they've added a fair use policy:
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=2...

Quote:
Fair use policy applies – max. 1,000 mins or 150 calls a month. If either of these limits on free calls is exceeded, BT will charge for these calls until further notice.

Funny how that didn't make it into the press release, isn't it?

I still can't find anywhere what the cost to call 0845 or 0870 will be for customers outside of times they receive inclusive calls (or after they've had their "fair use" allowance).

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #55 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 8:46am

Presumably, for 0845, it'll be 7p 'call set-up fee' + 2p/minute daytime and ½p/minute evenings/nights and, for 0870, it'll be 7p 'call set-up fee' + 6p/minute daytime and 1½p/minute evenings/nights as it is now.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2009 at 8:46am by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #56 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 2:15pm

Heinz wrote on Jan 11th, 2009 at 8:46am:
Presumably, for 0845, it'll be 7p 'call set-up fee' + 2p/minute daytime and ½p/minute evenings/nights and, for 0870, it'll be 7p 'call set-up fee' + 6p/minute daytime and 1½p/minute evenings/nights as it is now.

Presumably, yes. But not necessarily. Perhaps part of BT's strategy to claw back the money it's costing them might be to increase the costs for those not on calling plans - the 0845 charges in particular, which are currently lower cost than calls to 01 numbers!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #57 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 3:49pm

I believe that the huge danger of this move by BT (which none of you seem to have spotted so far) is that it will now very considerably muddy the waters over the need for all public sector organisations who use 0845 and 0870 numbers to replace them with 03 numbers.  For instance one can foresee DVLA, HMRC etc, etc now saying they no longer have any plans to get 03 numbers as most BT customers can call these numbers free of charge if they actually want to by getting the appropriate BT calling plan.

Even though doctors and many important private sector call centres use 0844 and 0871  and not 0845 and 0870 the media seem sufficiently stupid and numerically illiterate to want to be blind about the continued problems here and thus the abusing call centres (including doctors) will just take the line that the whole problem is now solved and so will not get replacement 03 numbers.

I suspect BT's major motive here is actually to further sell its Anytime Call Plan and to make phone customers in non LLU phone areas (where BT's competitors like TalkTalk, Tiscali and Sky cannot offer a very compelling package) consider moving back to BT from CPS and WLR products with competitors to benefit from the free 084 and 087 calls.  I do not see how TalkTalk or Tiscali etc can follow suit in offering these 0845 and 0870 calls free in LLU areas because they are already operating on wafer thing margins of which the very high profit covert premium rate 084/7 revenue stream is surely a vital part.  If they include 084/7 calls then TalkTalk for instance would have to considerably raise the price of its bundled broadband and phone call packages.

From the point of view of this campaign I unfortunately see this move by BT not as a great victory for our campaign (the great victory would have been all 084/7 calls being pushed on to 09 with full disclosure and a complete ban on their use in the public sector) but as a way for BT to make the media ever more confused about what our campaign is about.  Then meanwhile other parts of BT will seek to reduce the cost of its free 0845 and 0870 calls by continuing to migrate as many large call centres as it possibly can (that it provides the lines for) to 0844 and 0871.

This move by BT is very dangerous for the successful rollout and implementation of 03 numbers and of course all the while more and more calls are moving to 0844 and 0871 numbers where the ripoff will continue, even for BT customers.  But one can see how the woolly thinking at NHS Direct is likely to now go regarding the need to replace their 0845 number with an 03 phone number following this move by BT.

So the great danger is the public and the media may now wrongly think the 084/7 scam has ended and then call them with impunity on their mobiles only to find the scam very much alive and kicking.  Meanwhile many important public sector call centres using 0845 or 0870 may shelve or put on ice their plans to adopt 03 numbers as a result of BT's move.  So all ways round unfortunately this is not the positive outcome for our campaign that it might at first appear but is instead simply another example of dirty tricks by BT that will make it much harder to bring 084/7 abuses to an early end while making BT look like good guys by hiding from media attention their many other new abuses such as huge per call setup fees for the many customers only on their weekend calls plan..............
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2009 at 4:12pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #58 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 5:51pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 11th, 2009 at 3:49pm:
I believe that the huge danger of this move by BT (which none of you seem to have spotted so far) is that it will now very considerably muddy the waters over the need for all public sector organisations who use 0845 and 0870 numbers to replace them with 03 numbers.

I am sure that we are agreed on this point, and have done all we can to clear the mud.

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 8th, 2009 at 3:05pm:
Those with Midlands connections may be interested to know that BBC Radio WM are planning to cover this story on their "Drivetime" show at around 5:35 this afternoon.

Links to a recording of this item and other media coverage, as well as comment, are found here.

It should be noted that in the West Midlands SHA area there are twice as many GPs using 0845 as 0844; whereas in all other areas, and overall, 0845 is the minority. This explains the decision to use limited time to focus on issues other than the omission of 0844 in the Radio WM piece.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
0845 & 0870 Still A Ripoff From BT Payphones
Reply #59 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 6:24pm

BT's apparent lack of consistency in making 0845 and 0870 calls free at certain times for those who take call packages from it on residential landlines while still charging them as being premium rate calls (with a small p) elsewhere is best demonstrated by the very high charges still levied to call 0845 and 0870 numbers from a BT Public Payphone.

BT's own Public Payphone tarriff (see www.serviceview.bt.com/list/public/current/Call_Charges_boo/3545_d0e5.htm#3545-d...) shows that BT charges 19.48p per minute after a 20p connection fee to call an 0844, 0845 or 0870 number while it only charges 1p per minute to call a number starting 01, 02 or 03 on top of its 20p connection fee.  As the minimum call charge from a BT Payphone is 40p this means that 40p buys you only about 63 seconds of call time to an 0844, 0845 of 0870 phone number but 20 minutes of call time to a number starting 01, 02 or 03.  Also once the 20 minutes is up to an 01, 02 or 03 number the call continues at only 1p per minute but to an 0844, 0845 or 0870 number the call will have cost you 19.48p per minute from the 64th second of the call onwards.  So a 20 minute call to an 0844, 0845 or 0870 number from a BT Payphone will cost £4.10 rather than the 40p to a number starting 01, 02 or 03.

It seems bizarre that BT charges precisely the same charges (high though they are) to 0844 on a BT public payphone as they do for 0845 and 0870 but yet on a landline includes the 0845 and 0870 numbers in inclusive call packages but does not include 0844.  This contrasts with BT Payphones where only 0871 numbers are singled out for their higher still near extortion level charge of a whopping 96.7p per minute or £19.55 for a 20 minute phone call.

All of this seems to me to show that BT is not now charging for calls to 084 and 087 prefixed phone numbers from BT public payphones or residential landlines in a way that actually reflects a fair markup on its real underlying costs but is instead either using calls to these numbers either as a massive loss leader (for residential landline call package customers calling 0845 or 0870) or as a source of unfair monopolistic profits that do not in any way reflects its real additional costs in carrying the calls (BT Payphone charges to 0844, 0845, 0870 and especially 0871) compared to calls to geographic phone numbers from those same BT public payphones.

BT's continued abuse of the calling public needing to call 084 and 087 prefixed phone numbers from BT Payphones while they actually charge a lower weekday daytime per minute charge (subject to the 40 minimum call charge) to call 01, 02 and 03 prefixed numbers than on residential landlines (for calls where customers pay per call in the weekday daytime) needs to be challenged as it seems to be based on anti competitive pricing rather than on economics or a fair mark up on the underlying wholesale cost of those 0844, 0845, 0870 and 0871 calls.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2009 at 6:27pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge