Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
101 now available in Wales and Hampshire (Read 21,467 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
101 now available in Wales and Hampshire
Apr 16th, 2009 at 4:44pm

Source: BBC News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7998804.stm

Police expand 101 non-urgent line

A non-emergency police phone line aimed at easing the pressure on 999 calls is to be rolled out across Wales.

The 101 service has been trialled in Cardiff since 2006, where it responds to low-level incidents such as noise disruption and nuisance behaviour.

Now, the four Welsh police forces are to run the 101 Cymru service.

It is hoped the alternative number will free up the 999 service to deal with more serious incidents but critics say they would prefer more beat officers.

The 101 service is a confidential 24-hour number giving direct access to advice, information and action for community safety matters, including certain non-emergency crime, policing and anti-social behaviour.

The Cardiff number has been run as a joint initiative between the police and councils, and has also dealt with complaints such as fly-tipping, graffiti and vandalism.

A Welsh Local Government Association (WLGA) spokesperson said that while the all-Wales 101 number would be run by the four police authorities and forces, they will be "exploring opportunities for future partnership working with local authorities".

When the 101 service was launched in Cardiff, police figures showed only 20% of 999 calls made to South Wales police were classed as emergencies.

The force said that by relieving pressure on the 999 system, it was able to redeploy 25 extra officers to neighbourhood policing in the capital.

However, June Johnson, chair of Bayside Tenants and Residents Association in Splott, Cardiff, said she believed the money spent on 101 could be better used elsewhere.

"I'm not a supporter of 101 and quite a few people on Bayside are not supporters of 101, talking about it in the community. Why spend all that money on that when you could put more police on the beat?" she said.

"I have used 101, mainly to log complaints about anti-social behaviour, which we are told to do.

"But personally, I would prefer to get through to a police station or a police officer directly who knows the area.

"When you ring 101 they classify your emergency into different categories, which can then be dealt with in an hour or days.

"But what might not be urgent to them, can be to someone who is suffering from anti-social behaviour.

"Some people I know haven't had a response at all and other people have had a response to a less urgent matter within an hour. It's madness."

Funding withdrawn

The Home Office initially piloted the 101 scheme in five areas in the UK, including Cardiff.

However, it withdrew funding in 2008 following criticism that the number had not cut-down calls to 999.

The service was saved after local councils and police forces stepped in to run it.

The Home Office said it is not funding the all-Wales number and said the running costs were likely to come from each force's budget.

No mention of the cost of 101 calls in this report.

The Dyfed-Powys Police contact page shows only 101 for voice communications. Those living outside Dyfed-Powys' 101 area can fax, use Minicom or send an email, but they cannot telephone.

The Flintshire Chronicle is the only place I can find that it says that the call cost is 10p per call (apart from BT Price List).
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2009 at 8:51pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: 101 now available in Wales
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 8:34pm

No mention of this on the 101 website either:

http://www.101.gov.uk/101-areas/index.html

According to this, 101 is only available in Cardiff!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: 101 now available in Wales and Hampshire
Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 8:50pm

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 9:30am

As I understand it (perhaps someone could find the relevant references) the idea behind costing and charging for the telephony element of the 101 service is that it is charged on a fixed fee per call (10p) basis by all telephone service providers. This was apparently set by negotiation on the basis that this would provide sufficient remuneration for the telcos in handling the calls.

It is difficult to say whether this figure is fair or unfair, however I do not believe that there can be any allegation of revenue sharing. The concept of providing a single access point for police and some local authority services was seen not to have been successful by the UK government, however some local government and police services have continued, despite the lack of national recognition and publicity. There will therefore be different views on whether it is a good or a bad thing.

Whilst it may muddy the waters, I do not believe that 101 is directly relevant to the key point of concern in this forum. Perhaps our concern should be restricted to demanding that 03xx numbers be used in place of revenue sharing 084 and 087 numbers for all access to public services. (Similar issues will arise with 116xxx numbers and the proposed national "short code" number for access the urgent, but non-emergency, NHS services.)

All views and comments are welcome in this open forum. It would be interesting to know if members see 101 to be a matter of concern - should we be seeking geographic number alternatives?

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 2:03pm

Yes, in my view this is a matter of grave concern.  We pay for public services (including huge amounts to Police Authorities via Council Tax paid to County Councils) and should not therefore be charged extra (a premium) for reporting matters to the police which is a public service, police forces are funded to deal with crime & crime prevention and victims or, indeed, potential witnesses and those able to assist the police, should not be charged for this.  By all means have a single point of contact (useful if one witnesses something while outside one's own area) but it should be funded in the same way as 999 or, if that is not considered financially acceptable, a number charged at geographical rates should be used.   This also will discourage police forces from taking the 03 route.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 11:52am

Barbara wrote on Apr 18th, 2009 at 2:03pm:
This also will discourage police forces from taking the 03 route.

I have probably misunderstood you there Barbara (I hope I have).  Are you saying numbers such as our own 0300 333 4444 are not a good idea for non-emergency contact with a police force?

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 12:11pm

Surely 03 is better than 08?

I thought that the 03 numbers are included in the packages like 01 & 02

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 12:26pm

At 10p per call, 101 is cheaper for many than calling a geographic or 03 number!

It is also important to understand that 101 is not simply an alternative to a Police force non-emergency number. That is perhaps part of its use, but there is a much bigger idea behind it.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 3:18pm

No Heinz, what concerns me is that some are rejecting calls to move to 03 numbers on the basis that 03 calls cost more for them to receive  and that these same people might feel 101 is cheaper for them than 03 & use that as an excuse for not moving to 03 nos.   Sorry if my original post was unclear, I was in a bit of a rush.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 5:45pm

Where 101 operates, a 01/02/03 alternative should be provided for contact outside its service area as well as abroad.

I'm not so sure about 101. If it were to operate nationally, what happens when you call it from another police force's area to the one which you are calling about? How many calls are they expecting that will have to be passed on to another force?

Why has Dyfed-Powys Police still not published any alternative?

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 6:08pm

Dave wrote on Apr 20th, 2009 at 5:45pm:
Where 101 operates, a 01/02/03

I'm not so sure about 101. If it were to operate nationally, what happens when you call it from another police force's area to the one which you are calling about? How many calls are they expecting that will have to be passed on to another force?

Surley what you say Dave is no different to a 999 call?

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 6:34pm

Perhaps someone would like to look up 101 and offer us some clear basis for our comments.

As I understand it, 101 is used for reporting low impact criminal and nuisance behaviour. THe former is dealt with by the Police, the former by local authorities, so the call centres behind the 101 numbers pass information to (and are briefed by) both, in partnership.

Calls to 101 are routed according to the location of the caller.

It is all part of the single contact point concept which is being promoted throughout the public sector, with limited success for a variety of reasons.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #12 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 7:34pm

sherbert wrote on Apr 20th, 2009 at 6:08pm:
Dave wrote on Apr 20th, 2009 at 5:45pm:
Where 101 operates, a 01/02/03

Surley what you say Dave is no different to a 999 call?

999 is for emergencies so the force you require will be the one where you are making your call. You are unlikely to need to report an emergency when not at the location of the emergency.

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Apr 20th, 2009 at 6:34pm:
Perhaps someone would like to look up 101 and offer us some clear basis for our comments.

As I understand it, 101 is used for reporting low impact criminal and nuisance behaviour. THe former is dealt with by the Police, the former by local authorities, so the call centres behind the 101 numbers pass information to (and are briefed by) both, in partnership.

For Hampshire, see the newspaper article:

http://www.gethampshire.co.uk/news/s/2049206_force_runs_101_number_alone

It says:

Quote:
However after a “lack of cohesion” Chief Constable Alex Marshall decided to dissolve the partnership and the scheme is now being run by Hampshire Constabulary alone.

Councillors will not sit on the scheme’s executive but councils will still receive reports of bad behaviour — but it is up to them to follow the report through.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 1:18am

Dave wrote on Apr 20th, 2009 at 7:34pm:

Thanks Dave. The following should also be noted;
Quote:
The service will now run alongside the normal way of contacting Hampshire Constabulary on 0845 0454545.

The 101 idea simply has not worked as it was conceived. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the case, I see the issue of call charging as only being a minor feature. Like 0845 it is cheaper for some (indeed the vast majority), but more expensive for others. Unlike 0845 however, this has nothing to do with revenue sharing, so there is no clear issue of principle on which to attack it, unless one believes that all contact with public services should be made without incurring any cost, i.e. paid for out of taxation.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 12:31pm

From today's 'Mail on Sunday'............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1250876/10p-charge-police-revived-101-nu...

The Government is planning to resurrect an alternative number to 999  that will charge members of the public 10p to report anti-social behaviour and non-emergency crimes to police.

The 101 number was introduced in 2006 to take pressure off the emergency line but was abandoned after pilot schemes showed it failed to significantly reduce the volume of 999 calls.

It also caused controversy at the time after it was revealed the Government had planned to include ‘people drug dealing’ as a non-emergency crime which the service could deal with.
police

The Government is planning to revive a 101 number to report anti-social behaviour to police

Now The Mail on Sunday has learned that 101 will be introduced nationwide as part of a package of initiatives to be announced in the next fortnight to tackle anti-social behaviour.

The number is aimed at dealing with incidents such as vandalism, graffiti, drunk and rowdy groups, threatening and abusive behaviour, noise nuisance and dangerous driving.

It is being tested in Sheffield, Hampshire, the Isle of Wight and Cardiff. But during the initial stages of the trial in Hampshire, two out of three of the hotline’s 20,000 calls a month were ‘inappropriate’ and operators complained they received requests such as, ‘I’d like someone to test my smoke alarm’ and, ‘Do you know when the next bus leaves for Southampton?’

Critics claim the 101 line causes confusion, devalues the status of many crimes and that it is unfair of police to charge people for reporting a crime.

But senior police sources say the majority of chief constables support the introduction of the number to replace  forces’ 08458 or 0345 non-emergency numbers which many people forget.

Sources say the public will be able to dial 101 to report a burglary or crimes that require investigation but not an immediate ‘blue light’ response.

The expected cost of the new number is estimated to run into tens of millions of pounds and each local authority may have to man their hotlines with up to 20 police and civilian operators, costing around £450,000 a year. Alternatively, it may involve the recruitment of a private telecommunications firm to administer a national service.

The Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) has been consulting forces across the country in recent weeks about the plan, which is expected to start this summer.

A Home Office spokesman said: ‘The Home Office continues to fund the national infrastructure for 101 to allow local areas to adopt the number. We are  in the process of consulting with stakeholders before considering any options for the future of the 101 programme.’

Another proposal to be announced by Gordon Brown as part of the anti-social behaviour initiative is internet forums, where communities can vote on crimes that their local police should be dealing with. The votes are then counted and the local Inspector can decide on which areas to deploy more officers.

~ Edited by Dave: Link to article added
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2010 at 3:39pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge