Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cost of 0870 vs calling blocked local numbers (Read 27,390 times)
ScarletPimpernel

Cost of 0870 vs calling blocked local numbers
Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:16pm

I'm just wondering what the savings are when companies that use 0870 numbers are so conciencous about disableing known direct dial numbers. 

How many times do I have to dial a blocked number (which of course we are charged for) before it was fiscally more prudent just to call the 0870 number?

Regards

SP

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: Cost of 0870 vs calling blocked local numbers
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 2:11pm

What are you trying to imply, that this site is a waste of time? Of course, the exact answer will depend what tariff you are on. Many people don't pay for geographical calls, so it'll cost them no extra if they call a blocked number (and this is assuming the companies have replaced the number with a recorded message - if it's simply disconnected you won't pay anyway).

I have to say, I have never found myself in the situation you describe. The database isn't perfect, some numbers are found to be either not connected or go through to the wrong department, but I've never known a number play a message.

Any numbers that no longer work should be reported so that they can be removed from the database. Then no-one else has to make a wasted call.

IP Logged

ScarletPimpernel

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 2:32pm

Ok Jrawle lets not get off to the wrong foot, it's easy to do over the written media.  Correct me if I'm wrong, the original reason for this site was to reduce the cost to customers when ringing companies, now whilst Ofcom has rulled that 0870 numbers should cost no more that 01?? numbers, only BT has taken notice of this, Virgin (I believe) and mobile phone companies don't include 0870 in the all incluseive dial plans of free or inclusive call numbers whilst 01?? numbers are.

I suppose my point if any is that if you are calling from a BT line, you might as well use the 0870 number instead of using 01?? numbers that may be disabled or used within the owner company for other purposes where you will incure a greater cost.

Regards
SP

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 3:59pm

ScarletPimpernel wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 2:32pm:
I suppose my point if any is that if you are calling from a BT line, you might as well use the 0870 number instead of using 01?? numbers that may be disabled or used within the owner company for other purposes where you will incure a greater cost.

Hello and welcome to SAYNOTO0870.COM.

The removal of the framework for revenue sharing on 0870 means that any originating call provider that hasn't reduced its retail call rates, in effect, imposed a price increase in real terms on 1 August 2009 when the 0870 changes took effect.

The original idea behind this website was to list alternatives to 0870 numbers, as the name implies. But 0844 is the new 0870!

As for which number you should dial; it's down to your tariff. A "freephone" number is charged at a premium by mobile operators, so some look for alternatives to them.

IP Logged

ScarletPimpernel

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 4:40pm

Hi Dave, thanks for that, I found that to be a very fair and well explained response.

Another concern I have is that if you circumvent the initial dialing number (0870, 0844 or whatever for a local national number (01??) you may incure a greater cost and / or  a long delay.

Now let me say from the start I have NO agenda here nor do I think people saving money is a bad thing, I'm all for beating "the man", but I do understand how and why calls are sent through non geographical numbers and yes I do know some numbers generate income for companies. However it is important for people to understand whilst you may call a number that costs more than a geographical 01?? number, your call is often answered much quicker and delt with faster by calling the 08?? number. Lets take a Bank, it is in thier interest to answer as many calls as they can as quickly and efficiently as possible. Using non geographical numbers gives the company a chance to direct the call to a group of agents who can answer your call quickly. If you use the geographical numbers you may be calling a very busy or inactive skill. I would rather pay 10p a minute and get answered and delt with in 2 mins than spend 25 mins calling a number that doesn't ever get answered.

Regards
SP

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 5:05pm

ScarletPimpernel wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 4:40pm:
Another concern I have is that if you circumvent the initial dialing number (0870, 0844 or whatever for a local national number (01??) you may incure a greater cost and / or  a long delay.

There's no guarantee as to how long the call will take to be answered on the 01/02 number or whether this is the same as, or longer or shorter than calling the published 08xx number.

… but I do understand how and why calls are sent through non geographical numbers and yes I do know some numbers generate income for companies. However it is important for people to understand whilst you may call a number that costs more than a geographical 01?? number, your call is often answered much quicker and delt with faster by calling the 08?? number. …

As I say, there's no guarantees and quite obviously, a call may be handled in a different way.

I don't intend to get into any discussion about whether the same "fancy" or "advanced" services can be provided on 01/02 numbers. The purpose of this website is not to oppose the use of such services. It is the premium carried with any 084x call that is the bone of contention.

Organisations that use these numbers frequently trot off the line that "Ah well, we need a 0845 number so we can route calls here there and everywhere." That doesn't justify levying a charge directly to the caller (other than his/her "normal" phone call rate).

Which is what 03 numbers are; prior to their introduction, I am not aware of any organisation, small or large, that called on the introduction of these neutrally charged non-geographic numbers (apart from consumer pressure in the form of SAYNOTO0870.COM). At that time, the 084x users had their noses in the trough (many still do), having their callers pick up the tab for the "advanced" features which are so often proclaimed as being necessary. As I say, whether they are necessary or not my interest. It's the covert charging arrangement that leads people to this website in the form of the high retail call they are subjected to.

…Lets take a Bank, it is in thier interest to answer as many calls as they can as quickly and efficiently as possible. Using non geographical numbers gives the company a chance to direct the call to a group of agents who can answer your call quickly. If you use the geographical numbers you may be calling a very busy or inactive skill. I would rather pay 10p a minute and get answered and delt with in 2 mins than spend 25 mins calling a number that doesn't ever get answered.

Like many 084x revenue sharing number users, the justification for passing a covert charge back to your customers (callers) is because you need the "advanced" technology. The two things are totally separate; particularly now we have 03 numbers.

Also, with many who use these numbers they don't talk about the they levy on callers directly through use of these phone numbers, let alone explain to them why this is necessary.

Either:

1. You are happy to derive subsidy (financial benefit) from your customers/callers without declaring it and when challenged, justify use of 084x numbers solely because of their operational benefits.
2. You are happy to declare you make a charge for all telephone contact through a 084x number, but you've not mentioned this fact yet in your posting on this forum.
3. You are in ignorance of the subsidy your telephone provider derives from your customers/callers.

So which is it?
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2010 at 5:17pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 11:54am

We await ScarletPimpernel's response. Will his company choose either to:

1. Openly promote the fact that an "administration" charge is imposed directly on customers who telephone its 084x numbers?
2. Decide that the "administration" charge is innappropriate and switch to cost-neutral 03 numbers?

Or will it do none of the above, in which case we continue to say no to its 084x numbers.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2010 at 11:57am by Dave »  

IP Logged

ScarletPimpernel

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 2:41pm

H'mmmm I see where this is going and I'm not sure the lalalala I can't hear you arguement is particularly valid.

you say

I don't intend to get into any discussion about whether the same "fancy" or "advanced" services can be provided on 01/02 numbers. The purpose of this website is not to oppose the use of such services. It is the premium carried with any 084x call that is the bone of contention.

Why not get into the discussion, if the premium for calling 084x numbers is less than calling a 01xx number (overall costs) surely it makes sense to call the 084x number. If you just blindly hate the 084x numbers becuase companies make money off the public calling them, but offer a better service which means a lower cost to the customer, surely you are doing everyone a dis-service by encouraging them to cal the 01xx number. I'm sure it's not your intention to make more money for the telco's but that is actually what you are doing.

So either:
1. You are happy to generate more cost to the customers and fill the pockets of the telco's
2. You hate 084x blindly
3. You don't really understand how call routing works?
4. This website generates you income from advertising and sales?

So which is it?

I'm happy to agree that using 01xx numbers is much better when calling a small company that only has 1 call centre, as long as you are open minded enough to agree that where multiple site locations / agent skills sets are present it MAY make more sense in calling a 084x number.

Regards

SP.

« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2010 at 3:05pm by ScarletPimpernel »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 3:42pm

ScarletPimpernel wrote on Feb 9th, 2010 at 2:41pm:
Why not get into the discussion, if the premium for calling 084x numbers is less than calling a 01xx number (overall costs) surely it makes sense to call the 084x number. If you just blindly hate the 084x numbers becuase companies make money off the public calling them, but offer a better service which means a lower cost to the customer, surely you are doing everyone a dis-service by encouraging them to cal the 01xx number. I'm sure it's not your intention to make more money for the telco's but that is actually what you are doing.

You are now referring to the call cost and basing comments purely on call cost. Call costs are determined by call retailers who must pay "wholesale" costs to connect calls. This is in much the same way as any retailer must pay their supplier for the goods they sell. The more expensive the goods are to buy in, the higher the retail price will be; perhaps you think otherwise.

The "premium" I refer to exists with all 0845 calls, regardless of whether the cost of ringing is less than, the same or greater than a geographic/03 call for the caller on his/her chosen provider/tariff. It is that which I seek to expose.

BT's retail call rates for 0845 (and 0844) numbers are abnormally low because of a regulation called the "NTS Condition" which limits the margin it can take to a very tiny amount. Any suggestion that its prices can be used as a yardstick for the market in general is therefore nonsense.

In most cases, originating providers charge more for 0845 calls than they do for 01/02/03 calls. There are a few who mirror BT's perverse charging structure, thereby offsetting the 0845 "premiums" (that are passed on to call recipients' telcos) onto their customers as a whole, rather than directly to the individuals who call the said numbers.

ScarletPimpernel wrote on Feb 9th, 2010 at 2:41pm:
I'm happy to agree that using 01xx numbers is much better when calling a small company that only has 1 call centre, as long as you are open minded enough to agree that where multiple site locations / agent skills sets are present it MAY make more sence in calling a 084x number.

This campaign is about the subsidy passed to users of 0845 (and other "revenue sharing") numbers. If any organisation deems this necessary for its operation, then it should openly declare that it levies a fee directly to those who call. The 03 range is there to provide the same technical/operational/marketing benefits as 0845 but without the subsidy.

Those who use 0845 numbers so as to take advantage of perverse call discounts offered by some providers are thereby promoting those providers as being the preferred suppliers that their customers should subscribe to. Whilst this may be acceptable in the private sector, the public sector is no place for showing such commercial favouritism.

For a more in depth explanation, read my blog:

http://saynoto0870.blogspot.com/2010/02/dwp-case-for-03-numbers.html

The DWP uses 0845 numbers because more people pay less than pay more (than if it used 01/02/03 numbers). In my posting, I explain why this takes a very blinkered view of the issues.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 3:46pm

There are some simple matters of fact to get nailed down and (hopefully) removed from the main discussion.
  • Where a 084x number simply routes to a single geo number, it is simply making money for the recipient. That is the classic situation which the database of alternative numbers is intended to deal with.
  • When making a weekday daytime call under the terms of the BT weekends or evenings and weekends call plan, it is cheaper to call a 084x number than a 01/02/03 number. That is a perverse and unique situation. It applies to no other provider and is likely not to survive for very much longer.
  • Apart from the situation described above it is always more expensive to call a call type g6 0844 number than a 01/02/03 number - all providers, all tariffs, all times.
  • There are some situations where weekday daytime calls to 0845 numbers are no more expensive; however they are invariably more expensive from Virgin Media landlines, public payphones and all PAYG and contract mobiles.

Having set out these points, I will step aside (at least for the moment) to let the primary combatants resume battle.

P.S. This posting has been rendered largely redundant by a blow (#8) having been struck whiclst it was being prepared.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2010 at 3:50pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

ScarletPimpernel

Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 4:08pm

Guys you are failing to answer my question, so I won't confuse it with any other discussion all it does is muddy the waters.

Do you think (care if) it is fair to advertise 01xx numbers where the customer calling that number is going to incure more charges by calling that number than the 084x number?

Simple question only requires a yes or no.

Regards

SP.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 4:33pm

Yes (given appropriate qualification).

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 4:35pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Feb 9th, 2010 at 4:33pm:

The same applies to 084, 087, 09 and other numbers with a premium charge.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 4:39pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Feb 9th, 2010 at 4:35pm:
SilentCallsVictim wrote on Feb 9th, 2010 at 4:33pm:

The same applies to 084, 087, 09 and other numbers with a premium charge.

BT should indicate that its charges for calling otherwise inclusive numbers when outside the period covered by a call plan, include an element of "penalty". This may be helpful to those who have not recognised that these charges have been increased at a steady anual rate of 30% for the last two years.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #14 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 4:41pm

ScarletPimpernel wrote on Feb 9th, 2010 at 4:08pm:
Do you think (care if) it is fair to advertise 01xx numbers where the customer calling that number is going to incure more charges by calling that number than the 084x number?

Doing so allows people to take advantage of lower call rates in the market. This campaign is about having a fair telecommunications market, not one where some organisations seek to distort it by giving the advantage to a few telephone providers.

A similar example is the internet. The internet allows lots of different online retailers to each sell identical products (eg the same make/model TV). Should online stores be closed down because they are not the cheapest for one particular product?

There is a difference to this site's database in that analogy and that is that they who charge more do so for their own benefit (i.e. in their aim of making a profit).

It is not this site's intention to have people call the number which is more expensive and the most effective use of the database requires each individual to know which number is the cheapest on his/her particular tariff. It would be impractical to design into the database search engine, options to specify provider and tariff so as to indicate to the user which number is the cheapest to call for them.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2010 at 4:46pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge