Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Avoiding charges to free numbers (Read 58,435 times)
IAVOID0870

South East
Avoiding charges to free numbers
Dec 29th, 2009 at 11:12am

Long time no visit - sorry, many things going on.

Are people aware of this website?

http://www.0800buster.co.uk/

Instructions

1. Dial 01208 34 0800
  2. Enter the 0800, 0808, or 0500 number you want to phone
  3. Press # to start the call

Call 0800, 0808 & 0500 Numbers Free* From Your Mobile

« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2009 at 11:19am by IAVOID0870 »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Avoiding charges to "free" numbers
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 11:32am

There are many such services. Not all of them place such heavy emphasis on the assumption that calls to geographic numbers are "free".

This thread belongs in the "Call providers" section of the forum, where it could be useful to start a thread listing all of the services that operate in this way. Because of the nature of the service there is little to distinguish them. Choosing which to use is simply a matter of selecting who you want to make money out of calls that may cost you nothing.

It should be remembered that all calls to all 0808 80 and some other 080 numbers are offered without charge by some or all mobile companies. Calls to these numbers should never be routed through the third parties if a charge is paid for calling geographic numbers.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 6:52pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Dec 29th, 2009 at 11:32am:
It should be remembered that all calls to all 0808 80 and some other 080 numbers are offered without charge by some or all mobile companies.

One wonders why the breakdown services like the RAC don't switch to using 0808 80 numbers then instead of 0800 numbers given that 90%+ of their breakdown calls are presumably made on mobile phones.  When I called them the other day on 0800 82 82 82 on my Asda Mobile phone (an MVNO brand of the Vodafone network) I was told most pointedly by an automated message that my call would be charged at my normal network rates and would not be free.  The RAC then kept me waiting for over 10 minutes to get through to them and then denied that I was entitled to cover even though I knew I had renewed it automatically via direct debit with Club Toyota in April and had used the service for a flat battery since that date when no problems with the callout occurred.  The lady then told me I would have to wait whilst she looked in to the matter and 10 minutes later I was still holding and running down the call credit. Meanwhile some Good Samaritans (who might of course have been axe murderers) stopped on the lonely dual carriageway in question and offered me a lift to the local petrol station (over two miles a way) and back.  Despite being two men in their 30s they didn't seem too threatening and had obviously approached me on the local road from the village and not the dual carriageway so I decided to risk it rather than risk a refusal by the RAC to turn out at all or them not attending for two to three hours as seemed likely given the call waiting times.

It is a complete scandal that the breakdown services do not use 0800 numbers that are free to the caller from all UK mobile phone networks when people may be left in very dangerous situations due to having no call cerdit left and being in a situation where they cannot add any more credit.

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 7:27pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 6:52pm:
One wonders why the breakdown services like the RAC don't switch to using 0808 80 numbers

The 0808 80 range is reserved for charity helplines under a scheme administered by the Telephone Helplines Association. The mobile companies waive their charges as a goodwill gesture. As a commercial service, the RAC breakdown service would not qualify to use a number from this range.

It is open for breakdown services to negotiate with the mobile companies to waive charges for calls to their numbers in return for an appropriate consideration. (DWP is currently involved in such negotiations.)

One must be astonished that there was no offer to call back - 1) Automatically once joining the queue to speak to an agent, 2) Immediately on speaking to the agent, 3) Once the agent knew that there would be a further wait whilst information was being retrieved.

By tying up deals with car companies and banks etc., competition on level of service may be disappearing from the breakdown service market. The days of proud membership of the fiercely rivalless "Club" or "Association" are sadly gone.

I am sure that many readers are gripped by the thrilling adventure story and have been left hanging on what I understand to be called a "bong bong bong bong" moment. Were any axes murdered? Was the petrol station run by a creepy old man who offered a cup of tea in his back parlour and introduced his beautiful daughter? Did a RAC breakdown truck tow the car away before it could be repaired? Have Toyota switched to one of the others, or will we be updated on the campaign to get them to do so?

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Re: Avoiding charges to free numbers
Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 7:50pm

NGM's Ghost, try Britannia Rescue, they have an 0800 number but have ALWAYS provided a geo number specifically for mobile users, I wondered why until I joined this forum, also have never had to hold for more than a few seconds, indeed their follow up customer feedback form actually asks how many rings before the call was answered.  (We dumped the RAC years ago when we broke down while visiting Chartwell House, with 4 children & a mother in law, rang them from the callbox there & they were absolutely insistent that we were in a town some miles away according to their computer system!   Felt anyone who didn't recognise Chartwell as a location and refused to believe we knew where we were couldn't be up to much!)   Britannia have always been excellent and their top service includes European cover which also worked extremely well, they even hold my mobile number with our membership details should they have to call back if the call is interrupted.  Know some of this is off topic but thought it might be helpful.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 8:03pm

The AA emergency breakdown number is 0800 887 766. They also provide 0121 275 3746. I think this has been mentioned elswhere.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 9:10pm

sherbert wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 8:03pm:
The AA emergency breakdown number is 0800 887 766. They also provide 0121 275 3746. I think this has been mentioned elswhere.

There is an alternative to the 0800 828282 number for the RAC listed by this website of 01922 436000 but this was no help to me on Sunday evening firstly because I do not have a full web page capability available in my car so could not look up the number on this website and secondly because Asda Mobile actually charges the same price to 0800 numbers as to numbers starting 01/02 or 03.

My concern is that numbers for the car breakdown services are true Emergency Numbers that customers must be able to reach in all circumstances 24/7 when their car is unexpectedly stranded in a dangerous position as mine was on Sunday (steep uphill unlit old dual carriageway with no hard shoulder where my car ended up stopping mainly in the insdide land and large amounts of traffic were hurtling by at 7.20pm) and it is not acceptable that customers cannot complete calls with them when credit unexpectedly runs out mid call (for instance because the breakdown service is overloaded and takes 10 minutes to answer the call and then has a new member of staff who does not know how look up Club Toyota members who have RAC cover and claims I am uncovered and then puts me on hold again for 10 minutes until I am cut off by expiring credit).  Similarly it is not acceptable that customers cannot get through because they cannot add credit to their mobile because their payment card has been unexpectedly blocked that day by their card issuer for security reasons.  In short this is an Emergency Number (even though the emergency service is provided by a private sector operator, hard to believe though SCV will no doubt find that to imgaine) and therefore 0800 numbers must be free in just the same way as the various namby pamby so called helpline numbers that SCV describes that by and large are usually far less situation and time critical than being stuck in a broke down car on a dark dual carriageway with traffic hurtling by at up to 90mph.

So I return to my original point that there must be a class of 0800 numbers that are free from whatever telephone platform they are called from and this should include all of the motoring breakdown service numbers.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 9:19pm

Barbara wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 7:50pm:
NGM's Ghost, try Britannia Rescue, they have an 0800 number but have ALWAYS provided a geo number specifically for mobile users, I wondered why until I joined this forum, also have never had to hold for more than a few seconds, indeed their follow up customer feedback form actually asks how many rings before the call was answered.  (We dumped the RAC years ago

Barbara,

I have been a member over the years of the AA, RAC and Green Flag and always found Green Flag immeasurably better than the other two for speed of assistance arrival and always sending a Recovery capable vehicle and not just a patrol van.  However as a Toyota owner I am entitled to top level RAC membership with Home Start, Relay, overnight hotel acommodation in the event of a breakdown and full European cover for only £55 a year.  This is why for the last seven years I have belonged to the RAC via Toyota's discount plan.  In general I have found the RAC excellent up to yesterday (much better than the AA who alway offer shabby slow service on even the simplest call at the most favourable time of day) but they seem to have completely melted down over the xmas period and seem unwilling to recall call centre and breakdown staff from xmas holidays to cope with the cold weather no matter how adverse the impact on their customers.  Also one must now remember that they have been taken over by that bunch of Sir Fred Goodwinesque Money Grubbers known as the Aviva Group (who I have see just ditched advertising car insurance under the Norwich Union brand in favour of their own corporate colours after several years of its nauseating "quote me happy" or "quote me in India as I always found it to be" campaign).

I already had a nightmare experience with the AA 10 years ago when my car was left stranded on a muddy bank on the edge of a country road in freezing conditions and from it happening at 11pm the AA could not provided a patrol vehicle to recover me off the muddy bank (wheels spinning hopelessly) until 6am the following morning.  I might have died from hypothermia if a passing motorist had not agreed to run me home (about four miles away) at around 1.30am when it became obvious the AA could not attend for many more hours.  I have resolved never to become a member of the AA again.

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 10:02pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 9:10pm:
… a new member of staff who does not know how look up Club Toyota members who have RAC cover and claims I am uncovered and then puts me on hold again for 10 minutes until I am cut off by expiring credit). …

The 0800 828282 number is the breakdown number for regular RAC members. I believe that the one for Club Toyota members is different; it should be on your card. Had you called it, you may have had your call handled in a more prompt manner.

That said, I assume you quoted your Toyota registration number, and I'm quite amazed that they could not obtain your membership details from that.

So I return to my original point that there must be a class of 0800 numbers that are free from whatever telephone platform they are called from and this should include all of the motoring breakdown service numbers.

SCV has already pointed out that the THA 0808 80x numbers are free from mobile phones. This is not because the recipients pay more to cover the cost of making the calls free, but because the mobile operators have an agreement to waive charges. If any organisation could have such a number, then they would all have them!

It would seem more sensible for the breakdown services to negotiate with the mobile operators for their various 0800 numbers to be free-to-caller. Or perhaps Ofcom should consider creating a "freephone from all phones" number range.
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2009 at 10:05pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 10:29pm

In short this is an Emergency Number (even though the emergency service is provided by a private sector operator, hard to believe though SCV will no doubt find that to imgaine) and therefore 0800 numbers must be free in just the same way as the various namby pamby so called helpline numbers that SCV describes.

If the operators of these "emergency services" agree with this description of their service then they would doubtless be in a strong position to negotiate with the mobile providers to arrange waiver of charges. Alternatively they would recognise that the importance of the service that they offer to their members would warrant a suitable financial arrangement to secure this waiver. Emergency plumbers, roofers, glaziers and all others who attend emergency situations would doubtless wish to do the same.

I see no difference between us on this point. I hold no brief for the THA. Despite my levity in asking for the second installment of the exciting drama, I offer my genuine sympathy for the catalogue of misfortune suffered.

There is the option of automatically capturing the number for a return call (directly from the CLI, or by asking for the number to be keyed in or spoken) if there is a lengthy time to answer. I do find it hard to believe that an emergency service agent would not take a number and offer to call back immediately to someone in an emergency situation with credit running out. This suggests that the RAC does not see itself as an emergency service.

The idea of a separate class of 080 numbers that are free to caller from mobiles as well as landlines has been discussed in this forum before. It is perhaps shameful that it has not been in existence for some time. The only good reason I can think of for this is a lack of demand. Perhaps there are very few organisations that are keen to pick up the cost of all incoming calls from mobiles. If there are such organisations, then I would be delighted to assist them in lobbying Ofcom to provide them with what they want. It seems a little pointless to lobby for a facility that nobody actually wants to use.

I am expecting DWP to make an announcement shortly. This may help to kick off the public debate.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 10:36pm

Dave wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 10:02pm:
The 0800 828282 number is the breakdown number for regular RAC members. I believe that the one for Club Toyota members is different; it should be on your card. Had you called it, you may have had your call handled in a more prompt manner.

I didn't have the Club Toyota card with me for various reasons but I have always previously found the main RAC number happily takes breakdown calls for those covered via policies with Club Toyota, even though sometimes they pass you to a second call centre and sometimes they don't (this seems to depend on the time day).  The RAC only run two different call centres (one for direct customers and one for motor manufacturer related schemes plus fleet vehicle schemes) so surely they could just have another choice on their initial IVR menu at the outset of the call to make sure you always get through to the correct call centre no matter what number you dial.  Also I wonder why it is the current call queue length of 10 minutes plus currently seems to be identical for the two supposedly different RAC call centres. Roll Eyes

Quote:
That said, I assume you quoted your Toyota registration number, and I'm quite amazed that they could not obtain your membership details from that.

She did find details but claimed my membership had expired in April.  I denied this and said it was renewed by Standing Order and had renewed in April as normal.  I was proved correct when I checked my online bank statement when I got home.  I also had letters from Toyota telling me they were auto renewing the membership.

Quote:
Or perhaps Ofcom should consider creating a "freephone from all phones" number range.

OFTEL and Ofcom has been working hard to develop a National Telephone Number Plan that no ordinary consumer understands for the last 15 years.  So why would they want to mess things up now by bringing in a plan that stopped the telcos from hoodwinking their customers in to ringing covert premium rate numbers that they thought were charged at ordinary call rates. Wink Roll Eyes Angry
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2009 at 11:11pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #11 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 12:18am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 7:27pm:
One must be astonished that there was no offer to call back

1) Automatically once joining the queue to speak to an agent,

There was no such offer.

Quote:
2) Immediately on speaking to the agent,

There was no such offer.

Quote:
3) Once the agent knew that there would be a further wait whilst information was being retrieved.

There was no such offer and after I was placed unilaterally on hold by the call centre worker there was no way to exit from hold except by hanging up.

Quote:
By tying up deals with car companies and banks etc., competition on level of service may be disappearing from the breakdown service market. The days of proud membership of the fiercely rivalless "Club" or "Association" are sadly gone.

RAC is now part of the dead hand of the Aviva Group.  The people who brought you the Norwich Union "Quote Me Happy" or "Quote Me From India" as have always thought of it campaigns.  I see they have finally even canned the once proud Norwich Union insurance brand name in favour of their bland Euro Aviva brand in their latest car insurance tv advertising.  Perhaps just as well as unlike Norwich Union they apparently take almost every single opportunity to refuse to pay a claim whenever they possibly can.

Quote:
Were any axes murdered?

No and nor was anyone murdered with any axes either.  But I did experience some nervous moments after I rashly pulled out my wallet full of credit cards (to pay for the petrol and petrol can) in front of the two well meaning but potentially scary yokels in their old banger who had gone down to the petrol station to buy beer and cigarettes.  I mean would I stop to investigate a car just because it was parked by the side of the road.  And it did occur to me that if they were going to knock me over the head and steal my car they couldn't do it until I had bought some more petrol for it.

Quote:
Was the petrol station run by a creepy old man who offered a cup of tea in his back parlour and introduced his beautiful daughter?

No it was rebuilt in to some large shiny standard Esso box shortly after the various other remaining local village petrol stations round here closed down.  The only scary part is the focus on alcohol on a forecourt dedicated to serving cars and the inability of some of the staff to speak more than a handful of words of Bangalor British.

Quote:
Did a RAC breakdown truck tow the car away before it could be repaired?

No the RAC never came out at all and they never called me back, even though when I logged a complaint the next day they did have a CLI based record of the call from my mobile.  No doubt if this had happened at 1am I might have been found frozen in to a block of ice inside my vehicle the following day.

Quote:
Have Toyota switched to one of the others, or will we be updated on the campaign to get them to do so?

Not so far.  My email to the Chairman and Chief Executive of the RAC and/or Aviva with cc to the CEO of Toyota UK and any journalists who cover breakdown recovery service stories is still awaiting preparation.

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 12:56am

Not quite as exciting as one might have hoped but a great story nonetheless. Well done for surviving with your humour intact.

This was truly appalling service from the RAC.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #13 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 2:38am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Dec 31st, 2009 at 12:56am:
This was truly appalling service from the RAC.

No doubt if the friendly local Surrey hillbillies (no pun intended even though this did all take place in the Surrey Hills area) had not been passing then after another hour or so on the phone I might have found some call centre supervisor who eventually accepted my membership of the organisation but I strongly suspected that given the self inflicted wound of running out of petrol and the general meltdown state of their breakdown service that I might have been left waiting for another couple of hours for a patrol to arrive.  To be honest I was thinking of walking at this stage as there was a pavement, the snow and ice had all melted and it would only have been about 40 minutes walk each way (1 hour 20 minutes in total).  But it was still a very cold night.

SCV I much prefer your creative literary writing mind to your overly detailed written approach to regulatory matters.  Do you perhaps have an untapped ability here that is currently being frustrated by spending its time on such mundane matters as the cost of telephone calls to the NHS and other governmental bodies.

I don't entirely share your pessimism that the current telephone anomalies will still not be corrected under a new government as the actual costs of switching to 03 numbers are very small indeed in governmental budget terms and it is only the percentage of telephone company income that these call charges account for that are large and very significant.  I do think there will be a drastic shakeup of Ofcom and the type of people working there under any other political party in charge of government than this one and that might just do the trick in terms of some of the grosser anomalies.  Also surely once Madame Viviane Reding and her collegues in the EU have finished writing the various wrongs of cross border mobile roaming call and data costs they may perhaps turn their attention to anti competitive behaviour by the telecoms companies in creating covert premium rate call costs for domestic fixed line calls where teh cost of calls is not properly disclosed to the end user.  That is why I feel the OFT has a major role it is in dereliction of on telephone call costs since its duties in terms of preventing widespread misleading price indications by telecoms companies are consistently not being carried out.

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 11:01am

Moral of the story, don't run out of petrol, or keep a can of it in the boot :: Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge