Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Avoiding charges to free numbers (Read 58,663 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Avoiding charges to free numbers
Reply #15 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 11:17am

derrick wrote on Dec 31st, 2009 at 11:01am:
Moral of the story, don't run out of petrol, or keep a can of it in the boot :: Grin

I do not have enough boot space in my car (MR2 Roadster) to be able to accommodate a permanent spare petrol can.

So far as running out of petrol is concerned surely its about time that most car manufacturers came up with something better than  a miserable needle that can be out by as much as 7 or 8 litres in terms of your actual amount of fuel remaining.

Anyhow its the first time I have run out of fuel in this car in the seven years I have owned it and one of TomTom's latest Satnavs that tried to direct me to a petrol station with an allegedly low price that turned out not to even exist on the ground was the main culprit in the whole sequence of events.  As a result I over-ran the latest point (in terms of the petrol gauge display) at which I would normally fill up by at least 7 miles but I didn't realise that I was routinely running so near to the bottom of the petrol tank.  My previous MGF sports car used to read well below empty when it still had about 7 litres left in the tank but it appears this is not true of the MR2 Roadster. Embarrassed

Also the MGF would let you continue for five miles or so after appearing to run out if you switched off and waited a couple of minutes but there seems to be no such second chance given in the MR2 Roadster.................
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2009 at 11:20am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #16 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 12:22pm

Oh dear, oh dear, here we are overcome with the Christmas spirit offering goodwill to all men, showing sympathy for the fact that we all make silly mistakes and suffer misfortune as a result of placing undue reliance on items of technology.

Someone in a Scroogeish mood, or simply aiming to be mischievous, rehearses a stirring motion left over from preparing the pudding many weeks ago and the brandy bursts into flames scorching Toyota, Tom Tom and their respective industries.

The point about the mobile "freephone" issue has been well made and the adventure story was most entertaining. I am not sure that we need to pour more fuel on the fire that we know can be generated from Surrey. (Oops - perhaps I should not have mentioned fuel as this is likely to remain a sore point for some time to come. I hope that any further references to the reported unhappy experience are in the spirit of good humour that I offer, as we wish one another a very Happy New Year.)

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #17 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 1:39pm

NGMsGhost, thanks for the story, for keeping us all entertained! I pictured you initially with your Yaris on a lonely dual carriageway. Grin

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #18 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 1:54pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Dec 31st, 2009 at 12:22pm:
Oh dear, oh dear, here we are overcome with the Christmas spirit offering goodwill to all men, showing sympathy for the fact that we all make silly mistakes and suffer misfortune as a result of placing undue reliance on items of technology.

I hope that any further references to the reported unhappy experience are in the spirit of good humour that I offer, as we wish one another a very Happy New Year

Can we perhaps buy you some more of this Christmas spirit to keep you going during the months ahead if it puts you in such an atypically light-hearted mood when posting in the forum. Wink

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #19 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 1:57pm

Dave wrote on Dec 31st, 2009 at 1:39pm:
I pictured you initially with your Yaris on a lonely dual carriageway. Grin

I would probably wrongly imagine you or Derrick as being the ones owning the Toyota Yarises.

I know that loddon always likes to drive something a little more sporty or powerful being also something of an unreconstructed petrolhead like my good self.

<div style=

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #20 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 7:42pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 31st, 2009 at 1:57pm:
I know that loddon always likes to drive something a little more sporty or powerful being also something of an unreconstructed petrolhead like my good self.

I cannot let this reference pass without a comment, especially after reading the entertaining tales and comments on this thread.    First, a Happy, Successful and Effective Camapaigning New Year to you NGM, and to all the other contributors to this Forum.

I can think of one possible solution to your petrol can problem -- how about trading in that MX5 and getting a Bristol Fighter?    British designed and built: a world beater?   It is well able to carry a pair of full size golf bags or enough luggage for a weeks stay on the Riviera and plenty of room for a spare can, though you shouldn't need it with an enormous long-range fuel tank behind you.   Despite the immensely powerful power plant it achieves a level of economy which other super cars cannot imagine thanks to a pure aerodynamic shape uncompromised by the extraneous wings spoilers and fins of other makes.   This pure shape enables the Fighter to leave others gasping at its acceleration above 120mph and to cruise effortlessly at 180mph using a mere 4000rpm.    No other supercar compares, and the simplicity and integrity of the design puts the Veyron and the others in shade.

Don't just take my word for it, see other independent opinions :---

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/features/229293/bristol_fighter.html

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/205679/bristol_fighter.html

http://www.tencylinders.com/?page_id=509

And

http://www.bristolcars.co.uk/BristolFighter.htm

http://www.bristolcars.co.uk/FighterT.htm

http://www.boc.net/page.php?currPage=cars&sc=5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Fighter_(car)

Footnote:  I should stress that I am seriously concerned about Climate Change and the effect of human activities on Global Warming and so am inclined to the view that use of all vehicles not capable of at least 70mpg, say, should be prohibited forthwith along with many other extravagant consumers of energy resources and producers of damaging gases, such as non-renewable energy power stations.   Until that happens I will continue to admire the achievements of British designers and engineers who can still lead the rest of the world.

« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2009 at 7:53pm by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

floella2

Reply #21 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 4:39pm

I maintain that anybody using an 0800 or 0500 number should be required to publish the geographic alternative. Some of my reasons are below:

Calls to these numbers are not free from
Over 40 million people in the UK have mobiles. Many of these are on contract.
Nearly all contracts have inclusive geo minutes, making landlines a waste of money (note the latest BT ads begging people to come back, citing poor signal etc) Many people therefore no longer have a landline.
Many 08 or 05 numbers are dialled outdoors eg Recovery services and therefore are not free unless you find a functional call box.

Companies have to pay extra for 08 or 05 numbers. These costs are then passed on to customers.
It would be preferable to choose to spend this money on services I require rather than give it to telecomms companies fo providing no extra service whatsoever.

The 0800 dial through numbers are great, but not everybody knows about them. Therefore we still have the extra associated costs passed on to us by the companies that use them.

Your thoughts please?

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #22 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 4:49pm

floella2 wrote on Jan 9th, 2010 at 4:39pm:
Nearly all contracts have inclusive geo minutes, making landlines a waste of money (note the latest BT ads begging people to come back, citing poor signal etc) Many people therefore no longer have a landline.

Your thoughts please?

BT land lines do indeed have inclusive minutes depending on which calling plan you are on

IP Logged

floella2

Reply #23 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 5:02pm

Absolutely, but why have both unless completely necessary? That is why many people are choosing only to have a mobile.

Addiotnally, it is difficult for students, private tenants, house sharers etc to have their own landline.

Furthermore, back to the point at hand, why do companies not publish a geo number as well as a freephone? This choice allows customers to save money and companies to save money too!

Click this link for an organisation that does this and shows their reasons too...

http://www.wandle.com/main.cfm?Type=CU

QUOTE: "Residents can contact Wandle's Customer Services Team on 0800 731 2030 (freephone) or 020 8682 7442 (if you are ringing from a mobile) between 9am and 5pm weekdays."

A fantastic example of caring about the customer.

It is all about freedom of choice. Simples!
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2010 at 5:04pm by floella2 »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #24 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 6:01pm

I would only ring someone on their mobile as a last resort as it costs more to ring a mobile number than a land line. If they did not have a land line, I doubt very much I bother to keep in touch.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #25 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 6:36pm

There are crucial differences between landline and mobile inclusive tariffs.

Inclusive minutes on a mobile are just that; the more you buy the more it costs. Inclusive landline tariffs are unlimited.

I presume you are one of these people who only have a mobile. So you are quite happy to give a number whose cost is high relative to a landline call for others to call you at home, but companies give you a number that costs you far more from your telephone, you moan about it.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2010 at 6:44pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #26 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 9:09pm

I maintain that anybody using an 0800 or 0500 number should be required to publish the geographic alternative.

I cannot see why they would need to be "required to" do so, they should simply be encouraged to do so, as it is in their interest. They pay to receive calls from mobiles, even though the caller pays. Their only cost could be in setting up an actual landline number, which would generally be in place anyway.

Dave wrote on Jan 9th, 2010 at 6:36pm:
Inclusive minutes on a mobile are just that; the more you buy the more it costs. Inclusive landline tariffs are unlimited.

My mobile contract features effectively unlimited landline calls (subject only to "fair usage", which is way beyond what I might ever use). A sensible deal on inclusive "any network" calls more than exceeds my normal usage. In practice, we are approaching the position where for most people "normal" calls will not attract call charges. This will further serve to highlight the costs associated with "premium" services.

IP Logged

floella2

Reply #27 - Jan 10th, 2010 at 2:40am

Dave wrote on Jan 9th, 2010 at 6:36pm:

I presume you are one of these people who only have a mobile. So you are quite happy to give a number whose cost is high relative to a landline call for others to call you at home, but companies give you a number that costs you far more from your telephone, you moan about it.

Everybody seems to have missed my point, which is:

Use freephone numbers but publish the geographic number too so that people have the CHOICE of which number is most cost effective to call.

As for 'moaning' about it, I do not actually know anybody that needs their landline to call mobiles (I only know two people who have one!). In addition, I do not give out my number to businesses unless ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL.

But for those who need a landline, which of course there are also many, my suggestion offers a practical solution that is beneficial to those as well.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #28 - Jan 10th, 2010 at 3:12am

floella2 wrote on Jan 10th, 2010 at 2:40am:

Use freephone numbers but publish the geographic number too so that people have the CHOICE of which number is most cost effective to call.
There would, of course, be no need to publish dual numbering if Ofcom had any regulatory balls. There is no reason whatsoever for toll-free calls to be handled any differently by cellular operators, in terms of pricing, other than greed and regulatory inaction. Remember that many, perhaps most, UK cellular tariffs did indeed include 0800 (and 0845/0870) within any bundled allowances before they realized they could get away with charging for such calls. I recall receiving a letter from Cellular Operations, around 2002, stating that 'for my convenience', 0800 (and other 08 calls) calls would now be excluded from my bundled airtime. Yes, very convenient.

It is disgraceful the the so-called UK regulator allows toll-free calls to be charged differently than geographic calls. I do not advocate that toll-free calls are billed at no cost from cellular lines; simply that they should be treated as any other 'normal' call, as indeed they are here.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2010 at 3:13am by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #29 - Jan 10th, 2010 at 4:25am

floella2 wrote on Jan 10th, 2010 at 2:40am:

I hope that my posting took the point fully. My only quibble is over the alleged need for compulsion as this is (almost always) in the interests of the call recipient.

When addressing the reason for the problem we come back to the question of how mobile telephony is funded. A sizable element is obtained through the termination charges levied on other providers., These enable the market to grow and provide kids and the less well off with low cost access to telephony. It is argued that this money is simply channelled away as excess profit rather than being used to fund the provision of network services for incoming calls to PAYG users. I do not know claim to know exactly what would happen if these rates were removed, however I am not convinced by the arguments of the "Terminate the Rate" campaign, which maintains that this would have no effect whatsoever on any other aspect of the mobile business.

My personal inclination is for mobile users to be required to meet the full cost of the service they are using, without subsidy from those who call them (or those who they call on "freephone"). Given the pattern of mobile usage that has developed however (especially PAYG for the less well off) I cannot but feel concerned for the effect that a change may have. I would have rather not started from where we are, but in the real world this is what we must do. If forced to offer a suggestion, I would propose that the termination rate be phased out gradually over many years so as to give the market time to adjust, and to watch for any undesirable effects. This is far from ideal as any necessary regulatory intervention would almost certainly come too late. This is however an inevitable feature of an attempt to use competition to meet the needs of consumers, whilst making it subject to regulation that is intended primarily to enable a free market to work.

Some suggest that those wishing to offer a "free to caller" service should be compelled to pay these termination rates by accepting calls from mobiles and that Ofcom should have had the courage to preside over the withdrawal of freephone offers to landline callers which may have ensued. My only comment is that I have seen no evidence of a queue of 0800 users at Riverside House, demanding the right to pay in full for calls from mobiles.

Whilst some mobile tariffs charge more than the cost of an ordinary call for a call to a 0800 number, many do however charge only that. This does not address the complaint that the cost of the call should be met in full by the recipient. Would those who argue that this is an acceptable charge for a call to a "freephone" number accept that the same charge should be levied for every incoming call from a landline?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge