Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Avoiding charges to free numbers (Read 58,662 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Avoiding charges to free numbers
Reply #45 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:02pm

Those who are at all interested in getting to grips with the subject may be interested to read the following document.
It provides some useful insight into how the issue is seen, as is being dealt with, by the various parties.

Determination to resolve a dispute between BT and each of the T-Mobile, Vodafone, O2 and Orange about BT's termination charges for 080 calls

Just one tip - I suspect that this is not suitable reading for those who find my contributions to the forum impenetrable. It is for those who are ready to become seriously engaged with the complexities of what is going on.

I will not attempt a literary criticism, I will simply comment that I have considerable sympathy with Ofcom's position on this one. This is essentially a commercial dispute between competing private sector interests. Ofcom cannot be seen to favour any one party, and it has to try to show concern for the interests of customers of both sides, both callers and providers of 080 numbers. To be objective it has to get into the silly game of economic theory, entertaining the wholly theoretical concept of "efficient cost". Any definitive ruling would have been open to appeal through the courts.

This is going to be one the many issues dealt with in the forthcoming NTS review. That is going to be most significant, as it will cover almost all of the topics dealt with in this forum.

I will be very interested to read what others may have to say on this important and highly relevant matter.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #46 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:58pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:02pm:
Just one tip - I suspect that this is not suitable reading for those who find my contributions to the forum impenetrable. It is for those who are ready to become seriously engaged with the complexities of what is going on.

I assume that was directed to me, I have to tell you that I found that document a jolly sight easier to understand than some of your posts.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #47 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 2:24pm

sherbert wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:58pm:
I assume that was directed to me, I have to tell you that I found that document a jolly sight easier to understand than some of your posts.

Many have criticised my style of writing.
I look forward to reading some informed and aposite comments on the topic, rather than this ceaseless bitching.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #48 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 2:43pm

It is a great shame that you are unable to take constructive criticism SCV. I am glad to see  that I am not the only one that has criticised your style of writing.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2010 at 2:43pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #49 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 5:14pm

Post 47 - apposite (dictionary)

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #50 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 5:18pm

Re post 47 & 48, I agree with sherbert. SCV, any post on this forum which is not accessible to all likely readers (& I suspect there may be many for whom English is not a first language) is a complete waste.  The "bitching" of which you are unkindly accusing sherbert would not be at all necessary if you did not seem to have some unknown reason for making things unecessarily complicated, why you feel this is necessary defeats me (and, i suspect, many others).  It is obviously pointless asking you nicely to make your posts clearer so I will cease, that does not make my point any less valid.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #51 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 11:06pm

For what it is worth, and purely an opinion, I see no issue with any aspect of SCV's contributions wrt to clarity or understandability. There are complex matters being discussed, and for these matters, it would not be unusual for any given reader to have to read the contribution more than once. I for one value his contributions, both here and elsewhere, to the general campaign, as I do with most of the efforts from others. So, let us stop the bickering!

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #52 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 12:32am

As an example of something that lacks clarity, take the petition, details of which have been posted elsewhere:

Quote:
Enable OFCOM to enforce change of 0870, 0845 and similar expensive call cost numbers to all govenment offices to be changed to 01 or 02 geographic STD numbers or local call numbers.

Having read through this more than once, I still do not know the true aim of the petitioner. It uses simple words and simple construction yet it is difficult to understand (at least for me).

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #53 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 12:58am

Barbara wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 5:14pm:
Post 47 - apposite (dictionary)

I use my dictionary to look up the meaning of words as well as the spelling. Both are important, and I apologise for the typo. I am sad that the response noted only the latter, not the former.

Barbara wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 5:18pm:
... any post on this forum which is not accessible to all likely readers ... is a complete waste.

I could not disagree more.

... making things unecessarily complicated

The necessity of any complication is a matter for a debate that I am always happy to join.

It is obviously pointless asking you nicely to make your posts clearer

The suggestion that I have not noted the comments that have been made is unkind and foolish. If some readers assume that all of my postings will be incomprehensible by design, then they are engaging in a pointless activity by trying to read them.

I will cease - that does not make my point any less valid.

The point is valid as a personal opinion, it has been made and it stands.

idb wrote on Feb 9th, 2010 at 12:32am:
As an example of something that lacks clarity ...

Let us not push this matter too hard. None of us are perfect. Throwing bricks is relatively easy. Let us try to move forward.

Perhaps this particular discussion is better continued here - Re: How to post to the forum

Please let us get back to the topic:
  • Ofcom / BT / MNOs - good, bad; fair, unfair; wise, foolish?  
  • Review of NTS - worthwhile, waste of time; suggestions; likely outcomes?
  • Other 080 TCPs vs. MNOs - pay, charge?
  • THA scheme - distortion, model for all?
  • DWP arrangement - rip-off of taxpayers, to be copied?
  • Dial-through geo providers - heroes, parasites?
  • Mobile charges - given that the mobile operators have a primary duty to maximum their return to their shareholders, how should they adjust their charging structures?

There are so many relevant and topical points to discuss in this thread, why are we distracted?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge