Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Eccleshall Medical Centre/Upperthorpe Med Centre (Read 99,961 times)
mikecoulthard

Sheffield, UK
Eccleshall Medical Centre/Upperthorpe Med Centre
Feb 22nd, 2011 at 10:10am

Does anyone have an alternate no to Ecclesall Medical Centre Sheffield South Yorkshire the No. is 0845 1204489. This No. also applies to other Sheffield Nos.

Thanks

~ Edited by Dave: Thread title amended
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2011 at 1:14pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Doctors Surgeries
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 10:17am

mikecoulthard wrote on Feb 22nd, 2011 at 10:10am:
Does anyone have an alternate no to Ecclesall Medical Centre Sheffield South Yorkshire the No. is 0845 1204489. This No. also applies to other Sheffield Nos.

Thanks

Asking, does anyone have an alternative is limiting the likelihood of an alternative being posted here quite somewhat. Based on past experiences, it is much more likely that a number is found by sleuthing rather than posted by someone who knows it. In which case, we'll need more information such as the full address.

Also, what does "This No. also applies to other Sheffield Nos." mean?  Huh
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2011 at 10:37am by Dave »  

IP Logged

mikecoulthard

Sheffield, UK
Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 2:23pm

Sorry about that, I'm new to the site, can anyone please sleuth me the no. for he Ecclesall Medical Centre, Millhouse lane, Ecclesall Sheffield. The no. I have is 0845 1204489 and this seems to apply to a lot of Doctor's surgeries in Sheffield - Thanks
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2011 at 2:24pm by mikecoulthard »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 2:27pm

mikecoulthard wrote on Feb 22nd, 2011 at 2:23pm:
Sorry about that, I'm new to the site, can anyone please sleuth me the no. for he Ecclesall Medical Centre, Millhouse lane, Ecclesall Sheffield. The no. I have is 0845 1204489 and this seems to apply to a lot of Doctor's surgeries in Sheffield - Thanks

Good Afternoon,

Try 0114 235
**** (residential number)
which is listed here and let us know if it works, or if it does not what the number does?

Does it cut off, does it have a re direct message?
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2011 at 10:38am by Dave »  

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

mikecoulthard

Sheffield, UK
Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 9:38am

Hi, tried the number this morning and unfortunately it's a private no. that is very frequently rung as Ecclesall Medical Centre. I apologised profusely and rang off.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Eccleshall Medical Centre
Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 10:36am

I've split this off as a separate thread. Click here to receive e-mails when a response is posted.

See entry on NHS.UK website for this practice:
http://www.nhs.uk/ServiceDirectories/Pages/GP.aspx?Pid=7A405131-22EB-49EC-A18C-0...

Practice manager at Eccleshall Medical Centre is Gill Hides, e-mail gill.hides@gp-C88031.nhs.uk

This Centre has an associated surgery: Upperthorpe Medical Centre, 30 Addy Street, S6 3FT.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2011 at 10:39am by Dave »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Re: Eccleshall Medical Centre
Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 11:30am

Appologies the number was residential,

seems the "re use" of Dr's Surgeries numbers is on going. Regarding BOTH centres they have a website which has a feed back form, I would recommend using it to point out the "high" cost of calling their 0845 numbers and the fact they are a Surgery NOT a business.

There is also a link to Sheffield PCT who it maybe worth contacting as well.  I have recently contacted mine, and am awaiting a reply from their Chief Exec.

Good luck

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

mikecoulthard

Sheffield, UK
Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 9:53am

Hi, have just received the following reply after using the freedback form:-

Dear Mr Coulthard

In response to your comment on our surgery website regarding the use of 0845 numbers.

I can confirm that where the caller is a BT customer the charge for dialling the 0845 number will be exactly the same as if they had dialled the 0114 number.

Due tot he many different options and deals offered by BT the cost of a local call may vary from zero up to 4p per minute but the 0845 call will always be charged at the same rate.

The only exceptions are where calls are made from Sky or Virgin Media lines where there may be some inconsistencies and obviously calls from mobiles will be at the normal, much higher prices.

The Sheffield Local Medical Committee are currently in discussion with Kcom who deal with the handling of 0845 numbers in Sheffield GP practices, and we hope that the outcome of these discussions will ensure that all callers to our practices are not financially disadvantaged.

Regards

Gill Kirby
Practice Manager
Upperthorpe Medical Centre
30 Addy Street
Sheffield
S6 3FT
Tel: 08451204421
Fax: 0114 2768049

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 10:30am

Remember the 0845 (and 0870) number is inclusive depending on which calling plan you are on with BT

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 12:49pm

Quote:
The only exceptions are where calls are made from Sky or Virgin Media lines where there may be some inconsistencies and obviously calls from mobiles will be at the normal, much higher prices.

BT is the call provider which varies from others and not the other way around! Call providers are selling premium products (i.e. calls to 0845 numbers), but BT is not allowed to reflect the premiums in higher retail (call) charges. Other providers generally do reflect this premium in their retail call charges.

This came about due to regulation which was brought in during the days when the telecommunications market was being opened up to providers other than the incumbent and hence when most people made their calls with BT at that time. It was decided that BT must make the call charges for 0845 numbers the same as for local geographic calls. Ofcom is currently in consultation with a view to lifting this out of date regulation.

Remember that the idea was that we were to have different telcos to choose from, but that it must be possible to make calls to all telephone users, irrespective of whether the party being called is with the same provider as the caller or not. Thus, telcos must interconnect with one another.

It was decided that where calls were made with BT to another operator's 0845 number that BT must hand over the vast majority of the call charges to the telephone company that the receiving party subscribes to. (As part of the same regulation, it was also stipulated that BT's 0845 call charges must be the same as it imposed for local calls.) Contrast this with the fact that for a geographic (local or national) call the caller's telco keeps most of the charges and hands over only a small payment (to the receiver's telco) for onward connection of the call (to its customer). These inter-operator charges could be thought of as the "wholesale" costs that telephone call providers incur when connecting calls.

Call providers that have entered the market (e.g. the said companies Sky and Virgin Media) incur broadly the same wholesale charges that BT does. Thus, their retail call charges tend to reflect the higher cost of connecting 0845 calls over geographic ones because they are not limited on the mark-up they can put on these calls, unlike BT (which must charge no more than a local call).

So we have a situation where Sheffield GPs are happy to sign up to services which have come about as a result of the opening up of the market in telecommunications services (i.e. they subscribe to a provider which isn't BT). Yet at the same time, they believe that patients should subscribe to BT (or be disadvantaged).

They also benefit through receipt of subsidy from calls to 0845 numbers (as a result of the higher wholesale charges I referred to), whilst at the same time painting a picture of patients not paying more. This comes about due to their selection of 0845 numbers, so their provider, KCom, receives around 1 pence per minute more than it would have done had they chosen a number starting 0114 or 03.

Quote:
The Sheffield Local Medical Committee are currently in discussion with Kcom who deal with the handling of 0845 numbers in Sheffield GP practices, and we hope that the outcome of these discussions will ensure that all callers to our practices are not financially disadvantaged.

The way forward is to switch to geographic 0114 numbers or 03 numbers. They have until 31st March 2011 before the revised GP contract comes in which requires them not to charge more than the price of a local call.

This stipulation of not charging more than a local call applies to patients as a whole, and not just only those who subscribe to services from BT.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 1:34pm

mikecoulthard wrote on Feb 24th, 2011 at 9:53am:
Hi, have just received the following reply after using the freedback form:-

Dear Mr Coulthard

In response to your comment on our surgery website regarding the use of 0845 numbers.

I can confirm that where the caller is a BT customer the charge for dialling the 0845 number will be exactly the same as if they had dialled the 0114 number.

Due tot he many different options and deals offered by BT the cost of a local call may vary from zero up to 4p per minute but the 0845 call will always be charged at the same rate.

Nonsense.  

S/he doesn't even know BT's basic charges.  "Up to 4p per minute"?  Back in 1983 perhaps but not any more.

A weekday daytime call to an 01 number from my BT residential line will cost me 11˝p call set-up fee + 7p/minute.

A weekday daytime call to an 0845 number from my BT residential line will cost me 11˝p call set-up fee + 2.042p/minute.

In fact, for me, the only time when they're both charged at the same rate is at the weekend - when they're both 'free' in my Unlimited Weekend calls plan.  Not that I phone the surgery often at weekends -  invariably, there's nobody there.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2011 at 1:42pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Re: Eccleshall Medical Centre/Upperthorpe Med Cent
Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 2:06pm

The Upperthorpe Medical Centre in Sheffield    0114 2751010 and this number has been varified

The 0845 number is  0845 1204421 the alternative number is 0114 2751010 and I have rang the number

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge