Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Non-geo in mobile phone inclusive mins (Read 14,513 times)
Dave H

Non-geo in mobile phone inclusive mins
Mar 26th, 2004 at 4:31pm

Can't find anything about this on the forum....

I'm trying to decide on a new mobile phone contract. From what I can determine, O2 are the only ones whose inclusive minutes cover non-geo numbers. I can't find any reference to this on their Web site, but the sales person I got on the phone assured me they were covered, including 0871, even when I asked her to double-check.

Against that, O2 charge 50p/minute for calls to customer service, so I think I'm switching to Orange.

I have an O2 250 tariff through Singlepoint at the moment, and that covers 0845 and 0870 but not 0871. Nothing, however, will induce me to go anywhere near Singlepoint again.

Just thought you'd like to know....and if anyone has anything to add I'd be glad to hear it.

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Re: Non-geo in mobile phone inclusive mins
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2004 at 2:48am

I don't think you'll win whichever way you go. They're all out to make money one way or another. So it's funny you should say what you did about Singlepoint.
My son has been with Singlepoint for the last 16 months and not a month has gone by when I haven't had to call them to complain or demand a refund, on their 0870 9000700 number.
I've spent a small fortune on calling them, so I'm now glad to get their Geo number, as my calls will now be free with the OneTel TotalUKCalls pkg.
One of many I will make good use of, but I'm still trying to find the Geo number for FREENETNAME. Waitrose also uses the same provider (Brightview) so anyone who can help please.

DaveM

IP Logged

Edward J

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2004 at 2:59pm

Orange Everyday 50 (50 minute of off peak calls per day inclusive) does include calls to 0870 numbers, with extra out of bundle minutes charged at 1p.

But this may be a good reason why the France Telecom bean counters are trying to get it discontinued.....

Grin

IP Logged

Edward J

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2004 at 3:00pm

And I forgot to mention - calls to Orange customer services on post pay accounts are FREE!

IP Logged

Dave H

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2004 at 7:16pm

DaveM - You probably don't need to know any more, but the one good thing I'll say about Singlepoint is that, if you moan about having to call an 0870 number to get a problem of their making fixed, or even moan about the time taken to get through, they'll usually credit your account with £5, if you're nice to them. The problem I have with Singlepoint is the organisation as a whole, not the individuals who work there, most of whom are very pleasant and helpful.

Edward - thanks for the tip about Orange. Unfortunately I need a cross-network tariff. They do include 08xx in Orange Value Promise O2 tariffs, but as a total package the Orange tariffs still seem better to me - business tariffs, that is, I haven't checked non-business - even allowing for non-inclusion of 08xx.

IP Logged

phonefreaks@yahoogroups.com

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2004 at 10:41am

Hi, Orange have a thing called every phone service.  This lets you divert your phone to an 0870 number and you don't pay for the forwarding leg of the call.  You do pay to set it up but once you are formiliular with it it only takes a few seconds.  You can then call your orange number and providing your plan lets you call orange numbers you talk to an 0870 number for free.  Quite alot of mucking about but worth it if you are going to be on the call for a long time.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 7:39pm

Quote:
Hi, Orange have a thing called every phone service.  This lets you divert your phone to an 0870 number and you don't pay for the forwarding leg of the call. ...

Orange withdrew the Everyphone service last year.

IP Logged

Simon

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2004 at 11:24pm

Quote:

Still works though. Wink

They just withdrew support for it.

Best place to ask questions about Orange Everyphone is to go to

uk.telecom.mobile

HTH,

Simon

IP Logged

Chick Lunchbox

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2004 at 9:11pm

Quote:

I can confirm this is not correct;  all you need to do is set up Easyphone @ 10p per minute on 330 from your Orange phone and create a password.  After that you access it via another phone using X-net mins to vary the divert.

I'm very interested to hear it works with 0870 numbers.  I dont suppose calls to 0871 are also included?  You could use this roundabout way to avoid non-geographical call charges altogether!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2004 at 4:53pm

It still answers as "Everyphone" when I dial 330, but I can't remember my PIN! I've probably written it down somewhere safe!
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2004 at 4:54pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2004 at 6:39pm

I'm on Orange's Equivalent Virgin Tariff (aka OVP Virgin). I've checked my bill and it turns out that 0870 numbers are charged at the same rate as geographical numbers (and calls to other Orange phones).

The rate is 15p for the first 5 minutes of calls within the same day and 5p/min thereafter. So if I've already made my first five minutes of calls, I can call 0870 for 5p/min.

The thing is, if I were to get an 0870 number for my home, I would be better calling home using that!

IP Logged

leno

London
Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 7:41pm

Quote:
I'm on Orange's Equivalent Virgin Tariff (aka OVP Virgin). I've checked my bill and it turns out that 0870 numbers are charged at the same rate as geographical numbers (and calls to other Orange phones).

The rate is 15p for the first 5 minutes of calls within the same day and 5p/min thereafter. So if I've already made my first five minutes of calls, I can call 0870 for 5p/min.

The thing is, if I were to get an 0870 number for my home, I would be better calling home using that!

Well if thats the price charged, then yes get an 0870 or perhaps a 0871 (virgin charge 10p per minute) but select a company that provides a revenue on your incoming calls.  The 0870 number would then subsidise your calls home from yout mobile.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2004 at 7:41pm by leno »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #12 - Sep 24th, 2004 at 4:08am

I must point out that this is not the same as on Virgin Mobile.

They charge 15p/min at all times to 0870 and 10p/min at all times to 0845. See here.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #13 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 5:42pm

I've phoned Orange and they say that calls to 0845 and 0870 are chargeable at all times.

On pay monthly it costs 10p/min at all times. Thing is that their Your Plan Off-peak tariff charges 35p/min for daytime calls to Orange and landlines. So if that's true then it's better to call 0870 numbers in the daytime than normal numbers!

On PAYG tariffs they are charged at the standard (landline) rate.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2004 at 5:44pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge