Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Boycott 0870 companies? (Read 36,549 times)
John Stonehouse

Boycott 0870 companies?
Jun 11th, 2004 at 9:13am

Maybe, it would be a good idea to boycott all companies and organisations who use the 0870 numbers to rip us off.
I think they'd get the message.  Oftel hasn't helped in the two years since I pointed out the phone scam to them.
Cheers John

IP Logged

jamesbond

Suffolk
Re: Boycott 0870 companies?
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 2:54pm

I thoroughly agree with your sentiments, however if everyone who uses this website to help each other and obtain the geographic number of a  particular number, and let everyone know, then we ( the telephone subscribers ) can play the respective companies at their game!!  In my opinion, OFTEL / OFCOM or whatever should have NEVER allowed all of these 0845 / 0870 / 0898 / 0906 etc numbers to spring and force everyone who telephones these, so the  respective companies can take their cut of the cost of the call from us - it's a bloomin rip off!!!

James Bond

IP Logged

GreyBeard

Fair Rates for Fones!

Swindon
Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 11:53pm

i'm a newboy, so this may have come up before, but 07*** non-mobile numbers are even more of a rip-off than 0870 numbers, and Ofcom should add this to their 'things to do list'!
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2004 at 11:54pm by GreyBeard »  

IP Logged

jbp435

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2004 at 4:07pm

Boycotting is the ideal solution, but the main trouble seems to be that most folk (ie those not familiar with this site!) do not understand the rip-off, and think that because the company says "National  Charge Rates apply" that they are getting a normal cost call, whereas we know that it is about 16 times more expensive than a 'normal' geographic number using a carrier!! 
However, apart from sites like this ( and there are still only a comparatively small number of people read them) the scam will not get "media coverage" simply because, if you notice, nearly all newspapers/magazines/TV programs are all USING 0870 numbers - and do turkeys vote for Christmas??
So how do we widely promote the message?

IP Logged

Chris Stock

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 3:42pm

You are up to very up date.

Didn't  Oftel ceased to exist after 28 December 2003!!!!

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 3:23pm

Chris.

What are you saying, here, and to whom??  Found it difficult to follow your point.

IP Logged

gabbler

Reply #6 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 12:07am

The problem is it's just not practical to boycott all these companies - for example as a civil service pensioner I have no choice but to deal with Capita Hartshead on queries (they are now on this site, so I have a geographic alternative - thanks to whoever put it there).

And I can't really boycott the Tax Office - many of which now use 0845 numbers).

Still, I refuse to call (these numbers) if there is any real alternative (e-mail, post, personal visit)

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #7 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 10:12am

If only a complete boycott was possible....
This morning I phoned Comet on the geog number in the list (Fareham) and was told I needed to phone a brach to check at item was in store.  So I would have to dial "0870..... ".  After a short, friendly debate about 0870 being a covert premium number he simply gave me the local number.  One more for the list - and hopefully made someone else aware of the campaign.
  8)

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #8 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 10:32am

One suggestion is that if you cannot find an alternative number on this site you can write, e-mail or Fax to them instead. This does admittedly take longer to get a response, but if lots of people do this it actually costs the company more to deal with than a simple telephone call to a Geographic number would and so makes the point in a very effective way.

You can also mention in your communication that the only reason you are doing this by other means is because they are not offering a normal Geographic number for communication with them, and you have a policy not to call Premium numbers or disguised Premium numbers. You can even state that you have barred all Premium numbers and disguised Premium numbers from your telephone, which is true if you have a "mental bar" on calling them - like me!

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

gibby

Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 6:32pm

my bank - Abbey refused to give me an alterantive number - but I did find it here -

I did email them and complained that when I called their 0845 number it was putting through to another bank.

well the issed me with the 0161 numner asap and sent me £20 compensation.

I know try to email 3 firms a day saying I was getting another business when I called their 0870 number.

Im sure they then get intouch with the provider and asking why they have problems

worth a try!

G

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 6:40pm

Another way is to use 'call back'. Where companies who use 084/087 NGNs have the option on their website, get your own 0870/0871 and enter it in. So they pay you to get a quote from them etc!

Ofcourse, sign up for marketing calls and so on with it.

IP Logged

jg4fun

Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2005 at 10:45pm

Quote:
the scam will not get "media coverage

From the Sunday Times today:
January 23, 2005
How to beat banks’ 0845 phone rip-off
BANKS and utility companies are raking in millions of pounds a year by forcing customers to pay more than expected for using 0845 and 0870 numbers. But The Sunday Times can disclose a simple ploy to get round these rip-offs.
Ofcom, the telecoms regulator, has been inundated with complaints from consumers who believe the companies using these numbers are unnecessarily prolonging calls. It has launched an investigation into the lines as a result.
Ofcom said: “Consumers have become concerned that the revenues that businesses such as call centres may be able to obtain for receiving inbound calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers may provide an incentive for some companies to prolong calls. We are looking at ways to address these concerns.”
Consumers spend more than a £1 billion a year calling 0845 and 0870 numbers. However, there are ways to avoid using these numbers to contact banks.
The codes do not work from overseas, so companies have to give travelling customers a different, local-code number. But these numbers also work from within Britain. Just remove the +44 UK code and add a zero. Barclays customer services, for example, can be reached on 02476 842100.
For local-code numbers for other companies, visit Saynoto0870.com which lists alternative numbers for many well-known firms.
Telecoms companies generally charge between 1p and 5p a minute for 0845 calls, while 0870 numbers can cost 10p a minute. But charges can be even higher from a mobile phone. A peak-time call to an 0845 number on the Orange Everyday 50 tariff costs 12p a minute. The same call to an 0870 number costs 35p a minute.
These so-called “special service” numbers are used by many organisations, including cinemas, hotels and even government departments. However, Ofcom’s figures reveal that banks and utility companies use them the most.
All the Big Four banks’ customer-service help lines are 0845 numbers and some also use 0870 lines. Alliance & Leicester and Lloyds TSB employ the dearer 0870 numbers for certain services, while NatWest only allows customers access to their branches through 0845 lines.
Caroline Harris of NatWest said: “Introducing 0845 numbers meant we could ensure customers could always contact their branch through a local-rate number.” However, she refused to disclose how much the bank makes by using 0845 lines.
Special-service lines were designed to help firms handle high volumes of calls. But the fact that they are money makers has made them popular, whether or not the organisations have high call volumes.
Chris Williams of Uswitch.com, a comparison website, said: “Firms usually get a cut of the call charge from the phone company. On average they make about 2½p a minute from a daytime 0870 call and ½p a minute from an 0845 one. So there is definitely a financial incentive for companies to keep customers on the phone for as long as possible.”
Ofcom wants to introduce maximum 0845 and 0870 charges of 4p and 8p a minute. However, the ceilings will apply only to numbers operated by BT.
A spokesman for Which?, the consumer lobbyist, said: “There is a lot of confusion among customers about how much it costs to call these numbers. One of the main problems is that Ofcom can only introduce price ceilings for BT because it is the dominant telecoms provider. It has no real way of regulating other companies’ charges.”
The numbers are often described as local or national rate, but increased competition means many people pay more to ring an 0845 number than they do to make a local call. This is particularly true for those with plans that include free minutes because there is always a charge for 0845 and 0870 numbers.
Ofcom said: “Discounted call packages mean consumers contacting organisations close to their homes would often be better off calling local numbers rather than 0845 or 0870.”
The regulator is planning to introduce guidelines to help give consumers a clearer idea of 0845 and 0870 charges. But critics believe more should be done to improve clarity, especially as rates vary so much. Some 0870 numbers cost 10p a minute, while others charge only 10p a call.
Williams added: “The cost of the call usually depends on the one or two numbers that follow the initial four digits. However, without contacting your telecoms provider, it is pretty much impossible to know how much you are going to be charged.”

jg4fun2000  
IP Logged

kjones

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2005 at 11:38pm

Great to see at last the media is taking notice of these rip off numbers. Interesting though is Natwest's comments that by giving an 0845 number, customers will aways be put through to their local branch. How does it work that you can contact your local branch if you are ringing an 0845 number? I thought that the reason for these 0845 numbers was to give one number for all wherever you are ringing from? (Like passport offices, DVLA etc. etc.)  It still doesn't take away the fact that I will be charged more for calling an 0845 number to my LOCAL branch, rather than dialling an 0161 number using 18866, thereby getting a free call.  Am I missing the point here or are Natwest trying to con us??

Seems that Ofcom still has a long way to go. No good issuing guidelines for consumers because in some instances we won't have a choice (Alliance & Leicester for example).  How about they just ban 0870 and 0845 numbers or slap a premium on companies that want to use these numbers??

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2005 at 11:43pm

A combination. The NatWest spoke does not know quite what they are talking about, having been poorly briefed by someone with little telecoms understanding - save perhaps that provided by an 087 or 084 provider?

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 9:52am

As for contacting Natwest on my lacal branch.  What benefit does the 0845 number provide.  If on the old geographic system, then maybe you'll get an engaged tone, and have to try again, so does this mean that by ringing 0845, you'll always get through to your branch.

If so, how does having an 0845 number make a difference.  Surely there's a limit to the number of staff in the branch, if the whole of your town wanted to call.

Or maybe, the call gets routed to another branch, which isn't busy with phone calls, but surely that then defeats the object of being able to call you local branch, and speak to your bank manager.

It's not about giving customers convenience, it's about Natwest wanting to make more money.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge