Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BT Charging Full National Rate for Geo ISP Number (Read 17,210 times)
joe65

BT Charging Full National Rate for Geo ISP Number
Dec 23rd, 2005 at 3:27pm

Has anyone noticed how BT are charging their customers who dial the alternative Geographic Dial -Up number for Internet  access posted on this site at the same rate as 0870 numbers.
  It's a geographic Birimingham number 0121...  but comes up on the bill as about 90p for an hour (ie 1.5p/min) at weekends.     It's also Marked as 'National'.
   All other geographic calls are showing as 3p/Hour, for the first Hour.

So beware anyone who thinks they're saving by avoiding the published 0845 LoCall Number, you're actually paying ~50% more.

Now I know you people will say why on earth are you using BT, but that's not the point.  

Anyone relying on numbers from This site or these threads :-

here
&
here
&
Dave wrote on Jan 23rd, 2005 at 8:51pm:
A couple of threads for you here and here.

for Dial-Up Internet Access  BEWARE !
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2006 at 1:05am by joe65 »  

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Re: BT Charging National Rate for Geographic Numbe
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 3:58pm

ye gods - so where does BT identify such differential charging in its website?
Come on Ofcom.
Yours sincerely,
a concerned citizen-consumer.

ps - and if BT can do that perhaps it should have taken a more (pro)active role in stopping dialling scams. Sad

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 4:20pm

joe65 wrote on Dec 23rd, 2005 at 3:27pm:
Has anyone noticed how BT are charging their customers who dial the alternative Geographic Dial -Up number for Internet  access posted on this site at the same rate as 0870 numbers.
   It's a geographic Birimingham number 0121...  but comes up on the bill as about 90p for an hour (ie 1.5p/min) at weekends.     It's also Marked as 'National' rate.
    All other geographic calls are at 3p/Hour, for the first Hour.

Alternative number for which company?

Presumably it shows as a 0121 number on the bill?
Doesn't that merit a strong complaint to BT that they are not charging you at the published rate for a geo number?
On the other hand, dial-up internet access is, by definition, usually revenue sharing, so you can't really expect it at standard geo rates.
But any literature should still make the charge clear.

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 4:29pm

That's for BT Internet   0121 4789200    ( 0845 7560000 ).
which shows on the bill as :-
     Birmingham    0121 478 9200   National
instead of another eg.    
     Birmingham    0121 478 5280   Eve/Weekend.

While I'm not overly bothered,    barring the number from being  dialled would have been more 'transparent' than the clandestine charging  which was really tricky to spot.

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2005 at 4:46pm by joe65 »  

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 4:47pm

Ah, so have we (well, joe65) uncovered some small print whereby BT can charge National Rate, but actually chooses to charge what we know as normal 01 and 02 for most 01 and 02 numbers?
So this meets the rule if not the spirit of the law:-[ (I hear the Spirit of Numbers Past clanking away in the background Shocked)

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 4:59pm

No,  I haven't found anything justifying it.
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2005 at 5:31pm by joe65 »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #6 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 5:33pm

Tanllan wrote on Dec 23rd, 2005 at 3:58pm:
ye gods - so where does BT identify such differential charging in its website?

Here

Some threads are in the requests section. One is land lines for ISPs.

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 5:48pm

Thanks Dave,   This is really cute of them.
Here

If there's such a number they don't yet know about they get you to type it into their database, rather than publishing a list.  

Where is this heading.   Now that Geographic numbers have started falling out of these call discount packages, what will end first 08xx numbers , or the discount packages themselves ?
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2005 at 5:48pm by joe65 »  

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Re: BT Charging Full National Rate for Geo ISP Num
Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 6:31pm

The BT page says:

Quote:
The zero pence per minute call rates available with BT Together Options apply to voice calls only.

So they could start charging for fax calls at a different rate then!

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 9:17pm

OK, I won't try VoIP or VoB then. Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2005 at 9:27pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #10 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 9:26pm

joe65 wrote on Dec 23rd, 2005 at 3:27pm:
Has anyone noticed how BT are charging their customers who dial the alternative Geographic Dial -Up number for Internet access posted on this site at the same rate as 0870 numbers.

Not being too picky but when I tried it and checked, they were charging it at the same rate as the 0845 number (or Non Discounted Local Rate as explained on their website) !!

On the bill they show this as a National call, and
NOT NATIONAL RATE
!! Also when I asked them about this, they advised me the same would happen if any Geo number for ISP's on their list was called.

Funnily enough, if you check in the BT Together ISP and numbers exclusion list, the Bt Internet number 0121 478 9200 was not found, so read into that what you will !
Shocked

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 1:54am

Sorry if this will sound unsympathetic, but whatever you think of the policy [I disagree myself], this really isn't news.

It is quite clearly stated by BT that internet access is specifically excluded from free calls within the various inclusive packages. And when they transferred everyone to Option 1 and gave details of 2 and 3, it was explicit then too.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if some other phone companies have very similar conditions for numbers they recognise, though I don't want to be countered for every example

Without going back right now to re-read the threads on here that discuss these access numbers, my memory is it was reasonably clear what the motivation was for finding these numbers - to use them with 18866 or similar, or in inclusive packages with providers that did not exclude them. And nobody ever suggested using BT.

Try using 1899 instead, and you may find that some but not all numbers are blocked by them too.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2005 at 1:58am by andy9 »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #12 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 1:00pm

DaveM wrote on Dec 23rd, 2005 at 9:26pm:
Not being too picky but when I tried it and checked, they were charging it at the same rate as the 0845 number (or Non Discounted Local Rate as explained on their website) !!

It says on the page you linked to:
Quote:
Local and national geographic numbers used to dial up ISPs (i.e. numbers that commence with 01 or 02) are not included in the zero pence per minute call elements of any BT Together option. If you do dial-up to these numbers, the appropriate BT Together pence per minute rate will apply.

That suggests to me that they are charged at 3p/min and 1p/min as this is the chargable rate. But 'National call' (ie a geographical one) on BT Together is the same as a local one! Thus, all geographicals are the same. So how come geographical ISP numbers (on that list) are charged at non-discounted rates?

So what rate does BT Together charge for calls to 0845 ISPs? Whilst evening and weekend rates are the same, at 1p/min, on 'discounted' and non-discounted tariffs, discounted ones charge 3p/min in the daytime whereas non-discounted ones charge 3.95p/min to 0845. Or does the fact that there isn't an exclusion list for 0845 mean that we assume that it's a standard 0845 charge?

On the bill they show this as a National call, and
NOT NATIONAL RATE
!! Also when I asked them about this, they advised me the same would happen if any Geo number for ISP's on their list was called.

But isn't this fair enough as pay as you go ISPs make money from their 0845 numbers?

Funnily enough, if you check in the BT Together ISP and numbers exclusion list, the Bt Internet number 0121 478 9200 was not found, so read into that what you will !  Shocked

But...
Quote:
The number 01214789200 was found in the ISP exclusion list

You must enter it without spaces, as it says in the text above the box you enter the number in. Would it not have been possible to devise it so that it can handle spaces? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

craigmarloch

BT charge for ISP Geographic numbers
Reply #13 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 12:53pm

We've been using the geographic number (rather than 0845 one) for connecting to
Tesco internet. Last month they billed us for using it so we phoned to complain
(on option 3) and they issued a refund.
This month the same happened again but they are refusing to give a refund pointing
out that calls to internet dial up sites (non-voice) are excluded as free calls even if
using a geographic number.

Any advice on if we can challenge this or is it just a case of read the small print?

cheers,
Ronnie

Edited by bbb_uk: Slight amendment to the title thread
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2006 at 4:27pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #14 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 4:31pm

I'm afraid BT are correct.  I think their t&c (as well as other teleco's) do state that calls to non-voice (ie data calls) are excluded from inclusive mins.

You could try other teleco's unlimited packages instead in a hope that they haven't realised yet.

I know for a fact Euphony haven't realised yet and I believe Primus haven't caught on yet neither.

The thing is that eventually they will catch on simply because if you're on the internet for hours at a time or very regular then teleco's (especially BT) will have monitoring equipment of somekind that possibly checks that the number that appears to be very popular (ie an internet geographical number) is in fact a voice call, or a data call.  I believe this is what has happened now with BT realising that the number you've been using is actually a data call (ie internet type call).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge