Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BT Charging Full National Rate for Geo ISP Number (Read 17,313 times)
Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Re: BT charge for ISP Geographic numbers
Reply #15 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 8:12pm

craigmarloch wrote on Aug 11th, 2006 at 12:53pm:
We've been using the geographic number (rather than 0845 one) for connecting to Tesco internet. Last month BT billed us for using it so we phoned to complain (on option 3) and they issued a refund.

This month the same happened again but they are refusing to give a refund pointing out that calls to internet dial up sites (non-voice) are excluded as free calls even if using a geographic number.

Any advice on if we can challenge this or is it just a case of read the small print?

cheers,
Ronnie=9]

Use 1899 then.  3p per call to any UK 01 or 02 number regardless of duration.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2006 at 8:14pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: BT charge for ISP Geographic numbers
Reply #16 - Aug 12th, 2006 at 1:08am

Heinz wrote on Aug 11th, 2006 at 8:12pm:
Use 1899 then.  3p per call to any UK 01 or 02 number regardless of duration.

But how are such calls routed? Often they are sent half way round the world. With voice calls you can hardly tell, but an internet connection is likely to be unreliable or even not work at all - at least that's my experience of trying to use dial-up via a prefix (in my case I was trying to dial an 0845 number more cheaply during the daytime).

If you know a technically-minded person with broadband, perhaps you could persuade them to set up a modem to accept incoming calls. Then you phone them to use the internet! The impact on their broadband speed would be negligible, but the disadvantage is their phoneline would be tied up!

Ultimately, if you are going to be online for a significant length of time during the day, you should get broadband, or at least subscribe to an 0800 ISP.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: BT Charging Full National Rate for Geo ISP Num
Reply #17 - Jun 29th, 2007 at 3:42pm

I contacted BT a while ago about the disappearance of the page that allows you to enter a 01/02 phone to see if it is excluded from the 'discounted' part of BT Together tariffs. I have just received a response saying that it is now back and can be found at:

http://www.numbereligibility.bt.com/

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: BT Charging Full National Rate for Geo ISP Num
Reply #18 - Jun 29th, 2007 at 7:41pm

Has anyone tried using 18185 to call one of the dialup ISP numbers?  Do they perhaps block the number entirely?

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge