<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Complain to Ofcom? (Read 7,667 times)
pelham9

Complain to Ofcom?
Aug 25th, 2004 at 9:45pm

The last consultation done by Ofcom on 0845,0870 numbers resulted in only 20 (yes twenty) replies from the general public. Ofcom deduced from this that this scam was not a problem for telco customers.

I am not surprised  that the numbers were so small. The consultation was not advertised to the public and the Ofcom consultation document was written in a language only understandable by the telcos who as you might expect replied at length.  There was no easy way for the general public to put their views. Something like 75% of telephone users have no idea that there is a problem in any case - they believe that these numbers are cheaper!

My questions

1. How do we publicise the 0845,0870 scandal?

2  What is the easiest and best way to complain to Ofcom?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Complain to Ofcom?
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 8:05am

My question: Why has this been allowed to happen?

IP Logged

hoxne

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 11:00am

Quote:
How do we publicise the 0845,0870 scandal?

Write in to your local newspaper, persuade them to run an article on it on their consumer page, ring into local radio consumer phone-in programmes, complain to your MP, make an official complaint to any public body using 0870/0845 contact numbers (they probably don't realise that they're costing callers extra, as the numbers are marketed to them misleadingly as local/national rate), complain to the companies marketing 0870/0845 numbers, complain to companies using the numbers for customer contact (tell them they will lose your business, especially if you can find an alternative with geo. contact numbers), write in to Watchdog/You and Yours etc., ask your local Trading Standards/Consumer Advice/Citizen's Advice for a leaflet on phone call prices (and if they don't have one, ask them to produce one, or volunteer to write one via a Consumer Support Network).

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 5:09pm

Quote:
make an official complaint to any public body using 0870/0845 contact numbers (they probably don't realise that they're costing callers extra, as the numbers are marketed to them misleadingly as local/national rate)

You must be joking! Here's promotional material from one of the many companies advertising 0870 numbers:

Quote:
0870 & 0871 numbers can also generate a revenue stream for you which can be used to off-set the cost of marketing activity or to reduce customer service overheads

Public bodies or large companies have dedicated experts in charge of communications, and lots of accountants. It's no accident that they are making money from these numbers.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 5:20pm

Quote:
Public bodies or large companies have dedicated experts in charge of communications, and lots of accountants. It's no accident that they are making money from these numbers.

Yes they do, but I bet the people who know about 0870 rip-off are in the minority. I doubt call centre staff will be aware, similarly customer service representatives that you write to will not be aware.

It will be a small minority of accountants etc that realise the company is making money on every call.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 5:23pm

Quote:
Yes they do, but I bet the people who know about 0870 rip-off are in the minority. I doubt call centre staff will be aware, similarly customer service representatives that you write to will not be aware.

You're quite right. Call centre staff usually no nothing if it isn't in their script!

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 7:49pm

Most call centre staff can't speak English anyway!!  I had an Indian try and sell me a telephone package before, and he had to ask his supervisor what "non geographic" and "premium rate" meant.

This aside, most media companies would be reluctant to run an article on this scam.  For instance our local radio station decided only 6 months ago, to change their studio number from an 01209 number to an 0870 number.  Although luckily their old number still works!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge