Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lets KILL OFF 0845 & 0870 Numbers (Read 13,626 times)
leno

London
Lets KILL OFF 0845 & 0870 Numbers
Sep 13th, 2004 at 12:10pm

I think it is about time to start a campaign to kill off 0845 and 0870 numbers, and where better to do this is Tesco Stores.

If everyone who shops at this shop group, was to query the phone number on their receipt, at the customer services desk, or keep ringing their freephone (0800 50 55 55) number and requesting the correct number, I'm sure they will give in, in the end.

I have used the tale of "Those 0845 type numbers are barred on my line" and it does seem to work. Then once the number has been found, of course enter it on this site.

If we all got together on a campaign like this, then once it really started to take effect, the progress will speed up once the word gets around and the newspapers have a headline such as "Major Supermarket Group beaten on a phone call price scam"

If a campaign was to take effect during November and December, even making a repeat call after getting another receipt, then I'm sure it would get some results in the mad rush up to Christmas  Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2004 at 3:12pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Re: Lets KILL OFF 0845 & 0870 Numbers
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 3:16pm

I have another suggestion, but I'll leave that as read just by my moving this to the correct forum   Angry

I rang Tesco Head Office about this about a month ago when I was doing some investigation into the branch numbers, and I repeated the call again today. I explained about the local /national calls being the same cost as from 1st July and 0845 therefore costing more. Also as this was not their original intention they should save themselves (and us) money by doing away with 0845, and put each branch number on the
brilliantly, informative
website locator information (note the emphasis!).  Roll Eyes

I've also been asking the branches (as I check them) to point this out to Head Office at their next opportunity, because the branches have no problem with giving out the Geo number.  Grin

About the campaign. Have you thought of the added advantage to Tesco of FREE ADVERTISING that you'll be giving them ??

That must be worth . . . . at least a free lunch !  Wink

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 3:26pm

I wonder whether Tesco have realised yet how they could so easily generate their own free advertising by calling a Press Conference to announce that, as part of their on-going effort to give their customers the best value for money, they are doing away with all their 0845 numbers – because it now costs more to call them than their stores’ geographic numbers.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 3:34pm

Been there, done that !!   8)

I mentioned it to the manager that I talked to earlier so the suggestion might be wending its way to the upper chambers as we talk !!

Watch that space  Grin

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 11:13am

Yes, good strategy playing to the 'free' advertising' with a Press Statement.
It will only take one or two 'majors' to go down this route and I think it will then become self-propagating.
As a Tesco customer, I will be contacting them with suggestions , as well.

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 2:14pm

I wonder if Tesco would be any more inclined to take notice if we all phoned in on their international freephone number?

00 800 00 22 55 33

Then they'd be paying extra, not us!

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015

IP Logged

leno

London
Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2004 at 2:17pm

I might have some very interesting info about Tesco numbers coming to me, and that is a freind of mine has a list somewhere of every shop, office, and  depot  of Tesco in the UK, he is not sure if its the 0845 numbers or the geographic numbers. If it is the geographic numbers, then every one will be offered to this site.

Then that money grabbing shop group will either have to then return to geographic numbers .... or spend a mega amount on alternative numbers.   Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2004 at 2:18pm by leno »  

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2004 at 8:05pm

Following a protracted exchange of e-mails with Tesco, the below is their final response to my repeated request for the geographic number of my local store:

Quote:
Apologies for any inconvenience caused up until now.  All of the Tesco stores are attributed 08456 numbers, on occasions where the internal transfer system is down we must also use the 08456 numbers from our offices
to contact the stores.  The only number we have for our Colchester store is the 08456 779 188, If you are not happy about calling this number for financial reasons (it should be charged at local rates) or reasons of principle then an alternative would be to call our customer services centre on 0800 50 55 55 and ask to be put through to Colchester on internal transfer.  This should cost you absolutely nothing at all.

Hope this helps.

Regards

William Ogilvie
Customer Service Manager

IP Logged

leno

London
Reply #8 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 8:37pm

I have this weekend sent an e-mail to Tesco customer Serivces, and I have pointed out a few things about how much outsiders to Tescos knows about the firms virtual internal phone system ... plus a few other reminders of their untrue statements to me in the past.

The message was too large for this site, but using a bit of web space available to me, it can be seen at

www.cbrsnet.cwc.net

and there is a link back to this page
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2004 at 11:47pm by leno »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge