<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Possible Scam (Read 13,798 times)
MILMOG

Possible Scam
Oct 7th, 2004 at 12:21pm

Have been plagued by calls over last few days from an 0870 no. whereby I answer and they wait a few seconds and put the phone down without saying anything. I dialled 1471 to see who it was and after calling the no. in question get a bland pre-recorded message saying that they (no company name is given) 'were trying to call on behalf of a client and there is no need to take any further action'.....

If they were trying to contact me on behalf of a client then surely speaking when i pick up the phone would be a step forward??

Is this a scam in order to induce people to call their revenue-generating no. out of sheer irritation or curiousity???? Thoughts welcomed.

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Re: Possible Scam
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 1:13pm

It's very probably a call centre.

A lot of them now have the option to give a central return number instead of
NO number given
. If they are an agency selling various products for different clients then that scenario would ring true.

It's also a way around people blocking numbers that do not have a return number (like me !!). It doesn't work with overseas call centres though, unless anyone knows a way to do that ?

Just ignore them or string them along when they get through. Don't forget they work on commission, so if they are on the phone to you for 10 minutes and don't get a sale, they've lost the income.

Satisfaction guaranteed !!   Grin

IP Logged

MILMOG

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 1:56pm

The only thing is, when i do answer they say nothing and then cut the call after 2-3 seconds, so their sales technique is poor to say the least. It makes me wonder if there's an automated call dialling device at work somewhere which calls numbers at intervals (and the perpetrator hopes to get enough curious/annoyed calls back on 0870 etc to generate some cash....?

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 3:07pm

No ! That's the automated system that autodials a group of numbers. Usually too many, and the pause is to allow the operators to pick up if others don't answer. Remember, to get their commision they're working on quantity, not quality !

Don't worry. You're not being singled out. They're treating us all the same way.   Shocked

IP Logged

MILMOG

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 3:10pm

Cheers. I shall take great pleasure in ignoring all calls for a while until they move on elsewhere.....

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 4:23pm

I had quite a lot of these on my mobile earlier on this year. It's stopped now, but they always came from withheld numbers.

There was a complaint to Ofcom, 'Silent Calls' - Complaints regarding the making of silent calls.

The report says that these companies must ensure that no more than 5% of calls are abandoned (ie silent) within a 24 hour period.

IP Logged

hoxne

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 9:56am

You could always sign up to the Telephone Preference Service -- it's then unlawful for companies to make unsolicited marketing calls to you (and if they persist, the Information Commissioner can investigate).  The service is pretty effective, although some of the more dubious telesales from overseas still slip through.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 11:06am

I am signed up to the telephone preference service, but I still get these silent calls.

I have even had some sales people cold calling me. A trick they often use is to get a company who claim to be doing market research to call you on their behalf. This apparently gets around the regulations!

Like many other attempts at solving problems the TPS clearly does not work! It's all a matter of policeing. One benefit of dial-up internet is that it is impossible for them to call you when you are on line.  Perhaps I might consider going back for that reason!!!!

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

bgezine

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 11:13am

A word of caution. BT now charges a service fee when you use the 1471 and #3 service.

The other day I had one better than the silent call. It went something like this.

Hello this is to let you know that your number has been selected....

Can you tell me what it is about?

Can you be more specific?

Hello this is to let you know that your number....

What are you selling?

I'm getting bored with this.

I assume that some call centres just can't get their voice recognition software to work very well. For some we get the big silence - it seems to happen when I answer the phone quickly. For others, the recorded message. Do you know anyone who has ever listened to the recorded message for long enough to find out what product they are trying to push?

IP Logged

reggie

Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 7:07pm

Are you saying that BT now charges for 1471?

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 8:06pm

Quote:
Are you saying that BT now charges for 1471?

No, 1471 is free but, (see HERE), when you press 3 to call the last number, they charge an EXTRA 6p.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2004 at 8:06pm by Heinz »  
After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015

IP Logged

pauld

Newport, South Wales
Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 8:35pm

With regards to TPS have you checked out for yourself whether your number is currently registered with them. 
Sounds daft, I know, but I was under the impression that I was registered (I called them on their freephone number to register) but on checking on the website I found I was not!

I checked my number and found that it said:
Number 01495xxxxxx is currently Ok to contact
.  I rang TPS to find out what was happening and they said I was not registered.  So I registered online and found that they have now added me to their database.  It now says:
Number 01495xxxxxx must not be contacted

Apparently TPS are not interested in taking any action against any company until your number is listed on their database, which you can check for yourself here

Once your number is listed as '
must not be contacted
' and the calls continue, then they will take action - but what action remains to be seen!

IP Logged

robinp

Hampshire
Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2004 at 10:18am

Hi Guys, Just to put my 2 cents worth in; If anybody is interested in following up on unsolicited phone calls & registering with TPS, check out these two websites for many links to all kinds of other sites related to all unsolicited matter of all kinds, as well as info on phone number protection.
Bedfordshire Libraries Information and the Preference Services
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2004 at 12:02am by DaveM »  

robinp

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge