<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hope this helps! (Read 10,563 times)
friscan

Hope this helps!
Oct 15th, 2004 at 12:18pm

I am new to this forum milarky so firstly I want to say what a brillaint website to find concerning a subject I feel very strongly about and a thankyou to the people behind the site for thier obvious hard work.

Yet again we are victims of rip-off Britain and being made to use something which we dont want too!. However I have spoken at length with BT and have found a way to complain to 'Ofcom' which I'll explain later.

1. As companies receive revenue some will be very relunctant to give you thier geographical number. They will make any excuse not to give it to you but BT state 'everyone has a geographical switchboard number - 08 numbers cannot be issued unless they have one'! INSIST on having it and politely advise them they will be reported to OFFCOM if they fail to supply.

2. Ask them for thier international number (begining +44) Some will say 0870/0845 numbers can be used abroad, most cannot, believe me I travel and have tried it!

3. I believe advertising/websites should show the international number or geographical number and offically complained to OFFCOM online that we should be done to give people the choice.
go to www.offcom.org.uk
click on 'contact offcom'
click on 'telecoms issues including ISP'
click on the form link in 'quieries & other issues'
you will have to tick both boxes at the top to confirm you have complained to your service provider and ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution Scheme) as this is a general complaint and the only way the form will be accepted
Make your complaint relating to the topics of 0870/0845 numbers and submit!

If we all do it then someone will surely take notice!?

Just for general info I have an account with 'Onetel' where I pay a set fee for free unlimited UK calls. As a result of all these 0870/0845 numbers appearing this account is of little use and has now doubled in monthly costs!
  Undecided

IP Logged

baz

Re: Hope this helps!
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2004 at 3:17pm

"Just for general info I have an account with 'Onetel' where I pay a set fee for free unlimited UK calls. As a result of all these 0870/0845 numbers appearing this account is of little use and has now doubled in monthly costs! "

Like you I have an account with Onetel but they will freely admit that for 0870/0845 you are better off reverting the calls via BT. Depending on which connection you are using with Onetel they will tell you the prefix code to dial when you wish to use BT. I have found this method has considerably reduced my total bills.

Baz

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2004 at 5:23pm

If you're using a CPS system, then to override the CPS, then use 1280 as the prefix code.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

friscan

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 9:28pm

Thanks for that but what what does CPS' stand for?

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 9:59pm

Carrier PreSelect.

It's a system whereby you elect to have your outgoing phone calls automatically routed via an operator other than your line supplier e.g. BT line but OneTel CPS

CPS can still be over-ridden by the use of prefix codes e.g. Someone on OneTel CPS can route a call via BT by prefixing the call with the code 1280 or via 18866 by prefixing the call with 18866 (obviously).

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 11:05pm

But beware those carriers with "agreements" which preclude your using CPS...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge