Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
more on BBC Radio 4 investigation   (Read 95,161 times)
mypinknee

AKA Mr Grumpy

Glos
Re: more on BBC Radio 4 investigation  
Reply #75 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 10:46am

Quote:
On a technical point: The link only lasts for as long as the BBC website holds the sound file.  Does anyone know how to download and save a permanent record of the program in the form of a computer file that will last and outlive the link.

I have recorded an extract of the You and Yours program and if anyone is desperate to hear the item again and cannot get the thing to work I could probably make a copy avaiable.  However as of this morning the BBC are still making the whole programme available on the link provided earlier. 

It will be a big file - about 7Mb - so don't rush!

Communication is the most important thing.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #76 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 11:40am

Quote:
I have recorded an extract of the You and Yours program and if anyone is desperate to hear the item again and cannot get the thing to work I could probably make a copy avaiable.  However as of this morning the BBC are still making the whole programme available on the link provided earlier.  

It will be a big file - about 7Mb - so don't rush!

What program did you use to record it locally on your machine?  If you tell me what program I should be using that would save me having to trouble you to either email program to me or give me a web or ftp location from where I can download it.  However as I have 2MBps broadband here the size of the file is not really an issue for me.  Of course it will probably only leave you at 256k though....  Its only the small bit of the program about 0870 that I need of course.

Presumaby the ability to save a RAM file broadcast locally is provided in the more expensive versions of Real Audio Player?  I can't understand why Windows Media Player can't be updated to understand this audio file format, unless of course the copyright for this is jealously guarded by Real?

IP Logged

Hat_and_feet

Reply #77 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 11:59am

The best way I have found, though not free, is Total Recorder available at Highcriteria.com The Standard Edition is $11.95, about £7.00, and it records directly from your sound card, irrespective of the original format (.mp3, .rm etc). It does save files in .wav format so they can become quite large, but this isn't a problem for most things. HTH. Wink

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #78 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 12:49pm

Quote:
The best way I have found, though not free, is Total Recorder available at Highcriteria.com The Standard Edition is $11.95, about £7.00, and it records directly from your sound card, irrespective of the original format (.mp3, .rm etc). It does save files in .wav format so they can become quite large, but this isn't a problem for most things. HTH. Wink

So if this program extracts it from the sound card output this is only a slight variation frome me being able to record it onto analogue tape or minidisk at the time.

Why do they withhold manipulation of the digital format when its patently obvious that people have been able to do what they want with analogue broadcasts by more primitive means for years & years?

IP Logged

mypinknee

AKA Mr Grumpy

Glos
Reply #79 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 4:26pm

Quote:
What program did you use to record it locally on your machine?  

I use a Mac and a programme called Audio HiJack.  I can email it to you direct if you like.

Communication is the most important thing.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #80 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 5:11pm

Quote:
I use a Mac and a programme called Audio HiJack.  I can email it to you direct if you like.

Is there a version for a Windows XP PC?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #81 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 8:49pm

This thread is going off track now, but I suggest those who want to dump RealOne Player (or whatever it's called) download RealAlternative.  Wink

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #82 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 9:27pm

Quote:
This thread is going off track now, but I suggest those who want to dump RealOne Player (or whatever it's called) download RealAlternative.  Wink

Thanks Dave for this info.  Does this support actually being able to save the file to your local hard drive?

Presumably yes in view of your previous former posts of edited clips from the Radio 4 progs?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #83 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 9:35pm

Quote:
...  Does this support actually being able to save the file to your local hard drive?

No, it just avoids having to have the crapware that comes with RealNetworks' player.

Quote:
Presumably yes in view of your previous former posts of edited clips from the Radio 4 progs?

Sorry, don't understand that. I think it would be a good idea to be able to archive these programmes. I thought that the Beeb would keep them on the website for a long time. I've got links to all programmes (providing that they haven't gone moving everything).

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #84 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 9:54pm

Quote:
Sorry, don't understand that. I think it would be a good idea to be able to archive these programmes. I thought that the Beeb would keep them on the website for a long time. I've got links to all programmes (providing that they haven't gone moving everything).

Dave,

Your previous .ram links seemed to jump to the right starting point in the program, which is more than I managed (mine was from the beginning).  Unless those links were posted by someone else with more expertise in this area?

As for a You & Yours program archive the BBC only leaves the programs up on its website for a week after which they are overwritten by the next You & Yours Program for that day.  Of course if they made them available in MP3 format as they are doing with some programs it would be easy to download them for posterity.

I do have a recording of the whole hour long version of this program on my Tivo but that is on 1GB of hard disk space as Tivo uses the same data format for Freeview radio channels as for television programs.  However I could in theory get something off the Tivo through the audio out sockets.  I don't have anything to get audio out back onto my PC though.............  I could record it as 1 hour of sound only VHS tape!.............

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #85 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 9:59pm

Looking at Post No 29 from Dec 14th I see that mypinknee is in fact our expert in such matters and that his edited link from that date (to just part of a You & Yours show) still works.

It seems that the BBC do in fact keep the You&Yours  program archives for much longer and they merely remove the links to them from the Radio 4 "Listen Again" home page after a week.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2005 at 10:00pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #86 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 11:21pm

Quote:
Do not despair, NGM. There is perfectly simple way to get rid of your tape recorder, peice of string or whatever. You can record all you want (But I did not tell you), see http://www.supermp3recorder.com/index.htm
Cost you about £16 but it is the simplest way to do it.

Not ony will you be able to record all the You & yours progs, but also everything you want from "Listen Again"

Where were you all? You heard it here first!

Of course if you record live you do not need this.

There are free progs. out there but this is the nicest presentation.

juby

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #87 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 11:48pm

But I still don't see why I have to pay £16 for this facility when the BBC were supposed to be giving us the MP3 files for free so we will load them up on our MP3 players and listen on the tube.

Its a shame there is no equivalent of Audio Hijack for the PC environment.

Surely the BBC should just ditch Real Audio and cut a deal with someone who lets their customers download the files for nothing.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #88 - Apr 5th, 2005 at 9:18pm

Quote:
Dave,

Your previous .ram links seemed to jump to the right starting point in the program, which is more than I managed (mine was from the beginning). ...

All the links are from the pages on BBCi. You can either listen to the whole show, or each report individually.

Quote:
As for a You & Yours program archive the BBC only leaves the programs up on its website for a week after which they are overwritten by the next You & Yours Program for that day. ...

The original You and Yours broadcast of 8 November 2004 on 0870 numbers is still there. They've changed the url format, but it used to end in the date in the following format:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/index_yyyymmdd.shtml

Enter in the date of the programme you want to look substituting yyyymmdd with the date. So for example, 13 December 2004 is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/index_20041213.shtml

From there, you can either listen to the whole programme, or each report individually.

All You and Yours reports on 0870 numbers are as follows:

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #89 - Apr 5th, 2005 at 9:34pm

Thanks Dave for that comprehensive explanation.

Its a pity that their main Listen Again page doesn't explain that the older broadcasts are also accessible in the way that you have so clearly illustrated.

Surely they should let people download the file as MP3s as well if they really want to achieve the listening revolution they claim they are so keen on.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge