Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
more on BBC Radio 4 investigation   (Read 94,472 times)
kk

Re: more on BBC Radio 4 investigation  
Reply #60 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 5:58pm

Hi Mikeinnc

Rest assured Mike, I send a detailed letter re the 0844 scam to:
Paul Tyler PM, BBC You and Yours (2 reporters and the producer), The Department of Health, Head of Primary Care at DH, my own MP, the Minister of Health, and The Daily Mail and Telegraph reporters who had previous articles on the subject.  Plus a few others. 

No reply as yet.

KK

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #61 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 6:04pm

Quote:
Hi Mikeinnc

Rest assured Mike, I send a detailed letter re the 0844 scam to:
Paul Tyler PM, BBC You and Yours (2 reporters and the producer), The Department of Health, Head of Primary Care at DH, my own MP, the Minister of Health, and The Daily Mail and Telegraph reporters who had previous articles on the subject.  Plus a few others.  

No reply as yet.

They know perfectly well what is going on.

But it suits their political agendas (especially that of Howard Stoate) to claim the change to 0844 as some kind of victory.

But what hope is there that these people will get the message when Matt Peacock of Ofcom defends Ofcom's retention of its 0845 number for its contact centre on the basis that people expect to use such numbers for customer service lines.

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #62 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 8:35pm

Quote:
I'm rather disappointed that nobody has commented on the You & Yours 0870 item on Radio 4 yesterday.

Thought I had, last night? It is on the forum.

juby

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 9:32pm

Quote:
Thought I had, last night? It is on the forum.

juby

Not in this thread though??

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #64 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 10:10pm

I posted it on what I thought was the most appropriate thread - You & Yours No 14 - not because I started it, I had forgotten that, but because they have worked tirelessly on our behalf from the outset.

I am rather fed up with people on this forum knocking the programme just because they have an (occasional) 0870 number. We all know, if we follow these forums, that it is not the producers of the show who decided that.

With our help they have been instrumental in finally killing this scam, if the programme yesterday did not do it, it certainly threw enough sh1t at the fan to finally tip the balance.

Credit where credit is due, and yes I recorded the whole programme.

Have you noticed the weekend advertising pages recently? Last Saturday there was not one 087X number to be seen in the Daily Telegraph bargain basement page. The very first time.

0870 is not our problem now, it is everybody elses. Our job is now to hit the rest of the NGNs.

Sorry I didn't post it in the right thread, no hard feelings?

juby

IP Logged

GrahamH

Reply #65 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 2:32am

Hi juby / NGM

I may be guilty for dragging the other thread off down a rather technical avenue by accident.  I should have stuck to a simple posting about the program, and its bold statement of support for your work, rather than moving excitedly off into "what next from here" mode!

Quote:
With our help they have been instrumental in finally killing this scam, if the programme yesterday did not do it, it certainly threw enough sh1t at the fan to finally tip the balance.

I hope you are right. However, I fear reports of the death of these numbers are still somewhat premature, despite the well targeted sh1t throwing by you guys on here, by You and Yours and by their program yesterday in particular.

It's such a pernicious issue - most people still shrug their shoulders and ask "so what?" when you try to explain it briefly - that continued explanation, demonstration and pressure is needed to get it changed.

OFCOM has repeatedly proved inept at promoting competition, so now, given a perfect excuse to hide and do nothing behind their "light touch regulation" line, they will only alter the rules if their position becomes
1. utterly untenable in logic, and
2. openly ridiculed at large.

no. 1 was achieved way back when 0990 was launched!! But now you are getting there on no. 2

Quote:
Our job is now to hit the rest of the NGNs.

Couldn't agree more - the danger right now is that NEG will get away with switching their scam to 0844, 0871 will sail expensively under OFCOM's radar, and we'll be almost back to square one.

What's the point of 0845? Local rate my ar$e. Usually MORE than Inverness to Penzance on normal nos. Occasionally the same, never less!&&&&OFCOM - A Truly Great Regulator, if you're out to gouge consumers

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 5:55am

Quote:
Couldn't agree more - the danger right now is that NEG will get away with switching their scam to 0844, 0871 will sail expensively under OFCOM's radar, and we'll be almost back to square one.

Graham,

I agree with you especially about the possible expensive 0871 threat in the event that 0870 is banned.  And let us not forget that the most ruthless scamsters like Easyjet and TopUpTv have already not been afraid to tread that route whilst telling their dimwitted call centre staff that it is only the BT National Rate or even the BT Local Rate.  And because the number does not begin 09 nobody can touch them or stop them from doing this, at least not without a very expensive private prosecution under one of the consumer trading acts.

There must be a reason why BT wants to ban revenue share on 0870 but retain it on 0871 and of course their other own longstanding con in allowing 0844 and 0845 to be used for both perfectly legitimate PAYG dial up internet traffic and completely illegitimate voice traffic misleadingly claiming to be at the BT Local Rate has further muddied the waters in the way that BT clearly intended all the way along.  And Ofcom pretend they are sorry now because their (or more especially OFCOM's) longstanding deliberate connivance with the telecoms companies over this issue has finally been rumbled but the fact that they ever set up an 0845 number for their Contact Centre and still insist, even now, on retaining that number surely says it all.

By the way what brings you to the saynoto0870.com web forum so late in the day when it seems clear that you are pretty knowledgeable on these issues.

IP Logged

kk

Reply #67 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 2:54pm

Thanks for the link NGMan (your reply #45).

Apart from not highlighting the “new improved 0844 scam” that replaced the “0870 scam” together with the totally unjustified payment of £500 taxpayers money to doctors; I thought that the You and Yours program, on 31 March, was brilliant.

On a technical point: The link only lasts for as long as the BBC website holds the sound file.  Does anyone know how to download and save a permanent record of the program in the form of a computer file that will last and outlive the link.

KK

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #68 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 3:53pm

Quote:
(your reply #45).
On a technical point: The link only lasts for as long as the BBC website holds the sound file.  Does anyone know how to download and save a permanent record of the program in the form of a computer file that will last and outlive the link.

I have just called BBC Information (more like BBC Disinformation) at the call centre in Belfast run on their behalf by Capita Moneybags 0870 Ltd.  Fortunately I was on this occasion able to call via the geographic BBC Belfast number that I recently added to this website.

In response to my query as to why this program was not available as an MP3 download for use on my MP3 player etc, as promoted regularly by BBC Radio 4, the young lady concerned did not know why and after keeping me on hold for 3 minutes (although on this occasion not at additional cost to my bank account) said she thought "it probably had something to do with copyright" (this was said very agressively in the strongest and least educated possible form of regional Belfast accent).

I said that this seemed odd since Your & Yours was clearly one of the BBC's own shows and not outsourced so there should be no copyright issues involved here .  I then asked to be put through to a supervisor but the young lady refused and said I had to put my complaint in writing by letter (a means of communication I for some reason rarely use these days).  I not unnaturally refused to do this knowing it would be a total waste of time.

I then called back the geographic BBC Belfast switchboard number and said I wanted to make a complaint about the Capita BBC Information call centre and was on this occasion connected to a lady with a much more educated voice in a management capacity at BBC Information in Glasgow (still a Capita worker though).  She also did not know the answer to my question but seemed much more sympathethic to my point and promised to look into it and to call me back.

This only clearly confirms one point to me which is that BBC Information never ever does what it says on the tin which should be to answer all normal likely standard questions and comments from members of the general public about the BBC's products and services.  And up until my recent addition to the www.saynoto0870.com database it also limited accessibility to this largely useless service through call pricing, especially for overseas listeners on the internet.

I think Dave or DaveM has a way to extract these RAM broadcasts for posterity and containing just the bit of the program that you want but I was unfortunately unable to get the thing outside the confines of Real Audio Player which is an almost totally hopeless and inflexible product.  In fact I would go so far as to say that Real Audio and Adobe Acrobat must surely be natural blood brothers in that respect!

Sorry to harp on about this but I find it annoying that in this day and age the only way to keep the broadcast for posterity is to record it live at the time using either non BBC software or an old fashioned tape recorder.

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #69 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 10:16pm

Do not despair, NGM. There is perfectly simple way to get rid of your tape recorder, peice of string or whatever. You can record all you want (But I did not tell you), see http://www.supermp3recorder.com/index.htm
Cost you about £16 but it is the simplest way to do it.

Not ony will you be able to record all the You & yours progs, but also everything you want from "Listen Again"

Of course if you record live you do not need this.

There are free progs. out there but this is the nicest presentation.

juby

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 10:29pm

Quote:
There are free progs. out there but this is the nicest presentation.

Thanks Juby,

I was hoping for a free prog but I suppose that would be Real Player V8 or whatever it is.

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #71 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 11:47pm

It is possible to get rid of REAL player for good, and still listen to BBC Radio and Listen Again.

I don't think that it is suitable for this forum.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #72 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 7:05am

Quote:
It is possible to get rid of REAL player for good, and still listen to BBC Radio and Listen Again.

I suppose the BBC deal with the highly commercial Real Player is like the BBC 0870 deal with Cable & Wireless.

Namely that in return for thrusting their viewers into the hands of a highly exploitative commercial company the Beeb get some kind of huge financial kickback?

Is it possible to get rid of Adobe Acrobat for good too?  Version 6 seems to be its slowest and most useless incarnation yet!

IP Logged

kk

Reply #73 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 10:49am

Hi NGMan
Try Adobe Acrobat v7 - download free from the Adobe site.
kk

KK

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #74 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 2:23pm

Quote:
Hi NGMan
Try Adobe Acrobat v7 - download free from the Adobe site.
kk

You mean to say that in Version 7 Adobe have debloatified it and instead concentrated on trying to stop their product freezing up the whole of IE6 quite regularly?

I will believe it when I see it and hang on but isn't it only about 5 minutes since they launched Adobe Version 6?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge