Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
more on BBC Radio 4 investigation   (Read 94,181 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: more on BBC Radio 4 investigation  
Reply #30 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 1:51am

Quote:
It is good to know they are interested in the cause, but as someone said earlier in this thread - it needs to be on tv.

It was a further good item where what was covered was basically entirely accurate although there was some detail that was missed in the name of simplicity.

For instance they compared that a geographic national BT call now costs 3p per minute compared to "about 8p" for 0870 but they neglected to mention that for BT Option 3 customers the difference is actually 0p per minute versus "about 8p".  Also they neglected to do a comparison with say Call18866 where the difference for 30 minutes could be 1p for a geographic national number compared to £2.70 for an 0870 number.

They also failed to ask why when there is such acute and massive price competition for calling geographic numbers there is almost no such competition in the cost of calls to 0870 numbers and how is it that BT and others have managed to so successfuly stifle normal competitive forces.

Lastly they deservedly took the DVLA to task and did some interesting calculations on what they may be making but they failed to do an equivalent job on BBC Information who probably have one of the largest call volumes and make some of the biggest profits from 0870 numbers of any call centre in the uk.

We don't just need tv coverage (this is a story Panorama could cover if they really put their mind to it) but also a tame MP or two to start asking questions on this item in the House of Commons.  Unfortunately I know my MP is not the right man as he is not a guy for detail and this is a detailed and complex issue.  Does anyone have any ideas on this?

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #31 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 2:32pm

Well, writing to local MPs is a good idea.  Most MPs give their constituency phone number, and their London number, but I wonder if any of them have decided to use 0870 numbers for normal contact.

Finding out which ones do (if any) and bringing to their attention the growing public anger at these numbers, and directing them to this site, might force them to change their policy, in order to get a few extra votes!!

Remember it's general election time next year!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #32 - Jan 29th, 2005 at 3:00pm

Another report on You and Yours yesterday. Very interesting. Listen here.

IP Logged

BexTech

A Proud European!

Reply #33 - Jan 29th, 2005 at 3:21pm

Very interesting listening.

Are the DVLA really earning that much from the 0870 number?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jan 29th, 2005 at 4:31pm

Quote:
Another report on You and Yours yesterday. Very interesting. Listen here.

Yes it was a fairly good item but they still failed to do a price comparison between the rate charged by the cheapest calls supplier for uk geographic phone calls (call18866) and the 0870 call price charged by that same supplier.  They also continue to miss the point about 0870 numbers being excluded from BT Option 3, given that in the BBC model of the world everyone is unfortunately still assumed to be a Mr and Mrs Jo Average BT loving drongo on some BT call package or other.

Also its a little strange that they didn't hit on how much money one of the other biggest abusers of 0870 (BBC Information) is making out of all this and then rather pathetically had to justify their own 0870 number by saying but we can call you right back. But I already have on record from the IT systems guy at Capita in Belfast (who run the BBC Information call centre) that Cable & Wireless can set up any BBC program they like with an 0800 number at the drop of a hat if they ask for one (and if profit grubbing BBC management agree that this is appropriate).

The guy from the company selling the doctors phone systems was a real charletan.  He could have justified the benefits of the death camps on behalf of Adolf Hitler and also the productivity value of extracting all those gold fillings from the dead bodies.  He was also lying by claiming that 0870 calls cost little more than geographic calls because call times were shorter??!!, but again he was totally ignoring BT Option 3 customers.

What about the BT response to the NTS Options for the Future proposals to be found here?
www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/ntsoptions/Responses/?a=87101

Does anyone know what BT means by the BT Retail geographic local and national call rates?  I wasn't aware that they actually has such a rate.  They only have BT Option 1, 2 and 3 call rates and BT Standard rate which is not the same thing at all.

I had to get BT to correct its mistake in their original submission that they wanted revenue sharing ending on 0871 numbers when they meant 0870.  Perhaps the whole topic has got so confused that even BT now hasn't a clue what its talking about.

Lets go with Ofcom Option 4 in their proposals I say - that is ban all 084 and 087 revenue sharing and reclassify all pay as you go 0844 and 0845 dial up numbers under 04 or 06 number prefix access codes (the latter is my additional suggestion).

Why don't some of you send an email to kath.embleton@bt.com and ask her what she means by the BT Retail Geographic Local and National Rates.  She hasn't answered my question on this so far.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2005 at 4:39pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #35 - Jan 29th, 2005 at 4:56pm

I've added my comments on the interview with Alistair Campbell of Network Europe to the NHS and 0870 thread. Whilst they did get in the important point that the caller is subsidising the phone system, the fact that the system could have been implemented on the existing geographical number was not mentioned at all.

£1.1million per anum the DVLA make out of their 0870s.  Shocked

IP Logged

Furry Fred

A genius, who's handsome,
wonderful - and modest

Notts
Reply #36 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 12:33pm

Quote:
Well, writing to local MPs is a good idea.  Most MPs give their constituency phone number, and their London number, but I wonder if any of them have decided to use 0870 numbers for normal contact.

Finding out which ones do (if any) and bringing to their attention the growing public anger at these numbers, and directing them to this site, might force them to change their policy, in order to get a few extra votes!!

Remember it's general election time next year!!

Try sending a fax to your MP and MEPs.
This can now be done on www.faxyourmp.co.uk and on www.writetothem.com which are web sute that also monitors the number of times MPs etc fail to respond to their constituents - and publishes it complete with their voting record

Furry Fred

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 1:31pm

And remember this is not only election time but also the future of 087X and 084X decision time as consultations are closed and Ofcom is considering the matter right now.

Its not entirely coincidental that MPs and Radio 4 are suddenly taking a big interest now.  The reason is because any pressure just at this time can help influence the entire outcome of the whole debate.

There is also a lot of rubbish talked about us all using voice over IP a year from now but the real timetable on that front has to be at least 5 to 10 years time as for that to happen on a big scale every line in the country would have to be broadband enabled and every phone replaced with a voice over IP phone.  And what about resilience and robustness for emergency calls if the whole IP network goes belly up due to a fire at Linx or wherever?

IP Logged

aiuk

Reply #38 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 10:07pm

Quote:
they no longer show a rate for the highest call volumes.

web.archive.org is your friend!

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #39 - Feb 6th, 2005 at 8:56pm

Just to touch on the revenue which these scam merchants can make from this racket with call queuing etc., another 0870 etc. marketing company is advertising higher rates again, not yet evidently having realised that this exposes them to us. Take a look at http://www.call08.com/. You had better do it quickly though before they too remove this information like all the others have done when the heat gets turned up! (I have copied this site with this statement of their call Premiums.)

It yet again shows that my statement concerning the Premiums which high call volume receivers are making is over 4 p per minute. Dave please note!

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Feb 6th, 2005 at 10:32pm

Quote:
It yet again shows that my statement concerning the Premiums which high call volume receivers are making is over 4 p per minute. Dave please note!

Did you see last night's Test The Nation major calls money making scam on ITV?

This was an IQ test but where responding to the questions via the internet was not allowed.  They only accepted text messages to an 07 number or phone calls to 09 numbers.

Except there was some part of the process where they suggested you could register by calling an 0870 number "at the national rate"!!!!!

Are these people just shameless liars or are they really that thick (my money is certainly on the former conclusion and not the latter).

What rate per minute do you think you may get on an 0870 number called by 100,000 viewers?

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #41 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 12:26am

Trisha Goddard's show advertises an 0870 number followed by the statement "Calls charged at national rate".

The Wright Stuff advertises an 0871 number followed by the statement "Calls charged at the national rate".

Neither of which is correct of course because Ofcom have said there is no such thing as the national rate.

But did you know that if you sign up for Britains most popular cost saving schemes - Onetel - 0870 numbers will cost you 8 pence a minute at all times, that is eight. not 7.91 or 7.51 or 3.5.

They decline to give you cost of 0871, normally £6.00 an hour.

You win some you lose some, DO NOT DIAL an number starting 087 .

J

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Re: more on BBC R4 investigation - Onetel charges
Reply #42 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 8:02pm

There is a way to defeat Onetel's cost of 0870 calls. If you have signed up to call automatically (carrier pre-selection) via Onetel, but still pay your line rental to BT, you can 'revert' to BT for a specific call by dialling the prefix 1280 before the call. This will route the call via BT and so you will be charged by BT - not Onetel. This means you can at least take advantage (if that is the right term!  Wink ) of the cheaper rates that BT charges at various times of the day.  I did this all the time when I lived in the UK, and the 0870 charges then appeared on my BT account. Obviously, wherever possible, I chose to make the calls at a time when the cost was the least!

The advantage of this is that BT have their charges regulated - the other telcos don't. It's still an incredible rip-off, but at least it is one way to partially offset the cost.  Smiley

IP Logged

bill
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 8:37pm

Quote:
But did you know that if you sign up for Britains most popular cost saving schemes - Onetel - 0870 numbers will cost you 8 pence a minute at all times, that is eight. not 7.91 or 7.51 or 3.5.

They decline to give you cost of 0871, normally £6.00 an hour.

OneTel's rates for 0871 calls are shown on their website.

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #44 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 10:53pm

Thanks for that.

A statement in the Surgery Line is:  NEG Surgery Line™ is completely self-financing!

Well it is not is it?

Shouldn't that read:  NEG Surgery Line™ is completely patient financed!

J

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge