Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
more on BBC Radio 4 investigation   (Read 94,180 times)
dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Re: more on BBC Radio 4 investigation  
Reply #15 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 6:12pm

The Campaign sites are now updated and allow you to submit your consultation responses more easily and quickly. (The Ofcom documents are very weighty and would take a long time to go through yourself.) Either of these sites help you to compile your own response much more quickly.

I think everyone that is annoyed by these 0870 etc. DPNs should send  responses to these consultations to show Ofcom just how many consumers there are that are annoyed by this problem. There are 2 responses to send. Don't foget to send yours! You can use either:
http://www.freeweb.telco4u.net/rachelf or 
http://0870abuse.tripod.com.

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #16 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 1:58am

Dave,

I have been doing more extensive checks about maximum revenues with high call volumes, and it is quite clear that our campaigning is working. Companies marketing these rip-off numbers are now running scared of us on the net. They are withdrawing their previous bold marketing statements.

The first sign was when they actually used to advertise to companies that it was better to get a 0870 or 0871 number because customers did not like to call 09 numbers but effectively would be fooled into calling 0870 or 0871 without realizing what they were. As the campaigning started they eventually ran scared and deleted these statements from  their sites after it was exposed on various web forums.

Now they are all running scared and removing their advertising statements concerning the maximum rates payable for highest call volumes. This all shows that we are giving them cause for concern. They know that they have now been caught "with their trousers down"! So it seems that they have all now removed their advertised highest rates from their web sites, but if you look quickly, because the search engines take a while to catch up with such changes on web sites the evidence of their site statements prior to amendment still exists on the various search engine listings. Typical examples which I have found today are:

09 Premium Rate Number - Free 09 number for uk - Free Business
0870 numbers that earn up to 4p per minute in revenue. That means that for every minute someone calls you on your 0870 number you get paid...
http://www.acommfinance.com/premium_numbers.html
18.      internet - www.thinkinternet.co.uk
...up to 2.5p/min for 0870 calls and 4p/min for 0871. No charge for incoming 0845 calls. Earn up to 3p Per Minute ... 0870 generates revenue, plus...
http://www.thinkinternet.co.uk/0870-number.html

When you look at their sites now they have removed the incriminating evidence. Hope that shows you the order of true maximum rates?

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #17 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 2:33pm

Thanks. I just like to get my facts right dorf. So I can say in a letter that some 0870s pay 4p/min or more.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 12:56am

Quote:
Towards the end of the excellent programme, Matt Peaco*ck stated that Ofcom "is proposing" that companies etc. are REQUIRED to advertise both 0870/0845 and their real number, with equal prominence.
Four cheers - except that, as far as I can see, the published consultation does not propose that.
What am I missing?
nicholas43

Nicholas,

You are missing nothing as poor old Matt clearly got carried away (they are probably preparing the chains and the boat to the gulag for him right now) in mentioning what has clearly been discussed as the next possible policy direction at Ofcom perhaps either regardless of or depending on what comes in during the consultation.

I suspect that the real reason Ofcom is going to change its position is because either Stephen Carter (Ofcom's head man) or a government minister somewhere has changed their mind and realised that 0845/0870 issue is a problem that has to be dealt with.

I suggest you all email the following at Ofcom reminding them that Matt Peaco*ck's comments are not yet reflected in their consultation document proposals and asking why:-

matt.peaco*ck@ofcom.org.uk;stephen.carter@ofcom.org.uk; dominic.morris@ofcom.org.uk; tony.stoller@ofcom.org.uk; simon.crine@ofcom.org.uk; vicki.nash@ofcom.org.uk; rhodri.williams@ofcom.org.uk; denis.wolinski@ofcom.org.uk; kip.meek@ofcom.org.uk; philip.rutnam@ofcom.org.uk; sean.williams@ofcom.org.uk; peter.culham@ofcom.org.uk; andrew.heaney@ofcom.org.uk; polly.weitzman@ofcom.org.uk;ed.richards@ofcom.org.uk;peter.davies@ofcom.org.uk; robin.foster@ofcom.org.uk;peter.ingram@ofcom.org.uk; william.webb@ofcom.org.uk;vic.brashko@ofcom.org.uk; hazel.canter@ofcom.org.uk; kate.stross@ofcom.org.uk; richard.hooper@ofcom.org.uk; david.currie@ofcom.org.uk; david.edmonds@ofcom.org.uk
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2004 at 1:02am by N/A »  

IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #19 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 11:03am

Geoff Brighton at Ofcom courteously explained to me that:

'The suggestion of encouraging users of NTS numbers to publish alternative geographic numbers is discussed, albeit briefly, in the consultation document at paragraph 6.5. This is in relation to work we have already undertaken with the Central Office of Information in the guidance they give to Government departments. The paragraph reads:

" The COI provides advice and support to public sector organisations on all aspects of communications. Amongst other things, it publishes ‘better practice guidance’ for Government contact centres (see the COI web site at http://www.coi.gov.uk/ccg/). Ofcom and the COI have discussed the use of 08 and 09 numbers by government departments. The COI has been working on an update of its ‘better practice guidance’, and Ofcom has been able to suggest some amendments to this guidance, aimed at:

•     raising the awareness of contact centre managers of the cost of 084 and 087 calls;

•     encouraging the use of geographic numbers alongside 084/087 numbers, so that consumers have a choice; and

•     ensuring that publicity materials do not include any potentially misleading terms, such as ‘local rate’ or ‘national rate’, when describing the cost of calls."

We at Ofcom do encourage this practice and have ourselves published both 0845 and geographic numbers for callers wishing to contact this office.'

Meanwhile the Dept of Transport has replied to my MP defending the DVLA's use of 0870 numbers. DVLA clearly knows nothing of the COI guidance. They claim that they can only get the call logging and diversion technology they need by using 0870. That can't be true, can it? Ofcom's real and 0845 numbers definitely both connect me to exactly the same "press 1/2/3/4 to join the right queue" system.

I guess it may be true that BT only sell their advanced call handling stuff packaged with 0870. Does any reader know of telcos who definitely sell it fronted by real numbers?

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2004 at 11:06am by nicholas43 »  

IP Logged

bill
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 11:26am

Quote:
•     encouraging the use of geographic numbers alongside 084/087 numbers, so that consumers have a choice

New Labour semantics again.  

IMHO, "encouraging" does not mean the same as "requiring" (unless the English language has changed again).

The DVLA is still trotting out its blatent lie, "
Additionally, it was considered iniquitous that some of our customers should benefit from their geographic location to Swansea, whilst other callers paid more for making the same telephone enquiry simply because of their remoteness from Swansea
" and no amount of explaining that, even on BT, it costs the same to call a Swansea number from Swansea as it does from anywhere else in the UK (e.g.  Edinburgh), makes it admit the lie.
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2004 at 11:42am by bill »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 11:51am

Quote:
I guess it may be true that BT only sell their advanced call handling stuff packaged with 0870. Does any reader know of telcos who definitely sell it fronted by real numbers?

You can't get NTS call handling fronted by real numbers but you can get all the features of 0870 NTS call handling, routing and call load information with either an 0845 or with an 0800 Non Geographic NTS number.

I know because the local authority I am a councillor on has just set up an outsourced telephone bill payments service on an 0845 number.

I challenged this with everyone under the sun but in the end the answer was that if we didn't use 0845 we totally lost control if we needed to switch the payments call centre to another third party operator as we would have all the wrong info on our stationery etc, etc, whereas the 0845 number could just be redirected elsewhere at no further cost to us.  Also the problem that as a local authority the more expensive to run geographic number would be noted to be somewhere 70 miles away.

But the real clincher was that if we used a geographic number that apart from losing control of redirecting the calls at a moment's notice that we would also be charged a lot extra for the service by the call centre we were employing to take the credit card payments.

There is no difference in the call handling facilities available between 0845 and 0870, the only difference is the lower revenue share and/or unavailability of revenue share (depening what call volumes you receive) if you use an 0845 number.
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2004 at 11:56am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #22 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 1:05pm

But why not take the calls in on your own local 01XXX code and then feed then down the internet to the destination switch? They need not be part of your Council's DDI range (or else you risk congestion, unless you invoke back-busying), but could otherwise be a local number.

Cheaper, no 0845 opprobrium and a friendly local (truly local) code as well, with no penalty to the Council's many constituents using mobile 'phones.

And re-routable (re-routeable?) at the touch of a few keys.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 1:24pm

Quote:
But why not take the calls in on your own local 01XXX code and then feed then down the internet to the destination switch? They need not be part of your Council's DDI range (or else you risk congestion, unless you invoke back-busying), but could otherwise be a local number.

Cheaper, no 0845 opprobrium and a friendly local (truly local) code as well, with no penalty to the Council's many constituents using mobile 'phones.

And re-routable (re-routeable?) at the touch of a few keys.

Excellent answer.

I shall put your question straight away to our head of IT and let you know what the response is.

IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #24 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 6:14pm

I've now done a bit of googling myself. There is at least one telco:
callagenix.com
which appears to offer call diversion and logging services fronted by what they call UK regional numbers. They (incorrectly) say they offer 0207 and that this implies "city of London". (They mean, of course, 020 in a 7xxx xxxx range.) They also offer 0121 and 0151. I don't know whether they will buy blocks elsewhere on request. They charge the user 2 ppm inbound and 2 ppm for diversion, the same as they charge for 0845. Unfortunately, their sales and support line is 0870!
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2012 at 5:43pm by Forum Admin »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 11:25pm

Quote:
They charge the user 2 ppm inbound and 2 ppm for diversion, the same as they charge for 0845. Unfortunately, their sales and support line is 0870!

I don't believe we pay anything at all for the inbound calls to our Council's 0845 service so the above solution costs a lot more.  The point of that service is for people who want to give the world the impression that they are in the City of London, when they are not, and are prepared to pay extra for that privilege.

The calls to our 0845 number are actually terminated by Kingston communications who our automated payments service supplier uses to route the calls on to their ISDN switches that support the touch tone bill payments software (undoubtedly old technology but this supplier do seem to offer a very cheap deal to the Council for the service, so I expect newer technology costs more money).

Our bill payments platform supplier are adamant they do not get any call share revenue so the only people who can be are Kingston Communications, presumably as a quid pro quo for supporting a special kind of ISDN switch?

Using an 01306 number and then using Voice Over IP to forward the calls is not currently an option because our council has not so far implemented any Voice Over IP telephony solutions for its phone equipment and it would not be cost effective to implement such a project just for the benefit of this particular new service.

This is why in the real world there are a huge number of things that push organisations to adopt 0845.  The real sin lies in the code being excluded from inclusive calling plans and charged at different rates off peak call rates from BT Option 1 geographic local calls.  But of course this is bound to happen unless pay as you go dial up internet access is separated onto a different access code as it should have been from the outset if OFTEL hadn't been so fast asleep!
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2004 at 11:27pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Anti0870

Reply #26 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 11:10pm

Transport for London use an 020 access number for tube information. This must be a call centre, though I guess they are pretty sure it's going to remain located within the 020 area.

While I'm posting (for the first time!) I would say that I lay the blame for this whole issue fairly and squarely on Oftel (now part of Ofcom), who for nearly five years have been grossly negligent in not enforcing their own pricing conventions against telcos. It's either complete incompetence or high-level corruption.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 11:25pm

Quote:
Transport for London use an 020 access number for tube information. This must be a call centre, though I guess they are pretty sure it's going to remain located within the 020 area.

I would say that I lay the blame for this whole issue fairly and squarely on Oftel (now part of Ofcom), who for nearly five years have been grossly negligent in not enforcing their own pricing conventions against telcos. It's either complete incompetence or high-level corruption.

Transport for London have a biggish call centre but it is all in one place and they do not reroute the calls anywhere else so don't have to have 0870.  Also as nearly all the calls they receive are from London they probably also don't have the BBC obsession about where the calls are from or even about the people who called them and who hung up before they were answered by a call taker (yet another feature of 0870).

Still TFL are very much bucking the trend on this as most one office call centres are still on 0845 or an 0870 numbers these days just to get a few more pennies out of their customers.  Perhaps TFL think that after paying £2.20 to go one stop on the tube and then having to call to complain there was a 20 minute service gap that paying £1 for the call might be the last straw.

As for OFTEL its failure to act was corruption/active connivance without a doubt.  I spoke to one of the senior Ofcom directors responsible for allowing the 0990/0870 codes in the first place 3 to 4 years ago and he made it perfectly clear that Ofcom had absolutely no intention of doing anything about it even though he knew exacly what was going on.

Many senior OFTEL employees formerly worked at BT or other major Telco companies and then immediately went straight back to their original employers after a short period learning how to evade the OFTEL regulatory system.

BT seems to have been told that 0870 could carry on unstopped so long as they agreed to roll out ADSL to nearly all of the uncovered remaining uk rural exchanges.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2004 at 11:27pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #28 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 11:59am

Radio 4 You and Yours 12 Noon today Monday 13 December.

Some comment about government departmental use...

IP Logged

mypinknee

AKA Mr Grumpy

Glos
Reply #29 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 1:01am

If you would like to hear the "You and Yours" coverage here is the link (all 5mins & 29 seconds worth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/ram/youandyours_20041213_1.ram

Hope it helps.  It includes some advice from 'a Government' spokesman. It is good to know they are interested in the cause, but as someone said earlier in this thread - it needs to be on tv.

Communication is the most important thing.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge