Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: Cheapest Call Providers (Read 30,667 times)
dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Re: Cheapest Call Providers
Nov 5th, 2004 at 3:12am

Hi Rick,

For 0845 and 0870 at peak times 1899 seem to have the lowest costs of 3 p and 7 p per min respectively.

However, Victor Delta in his post Cheapest 0870/0845 calls? hereon claimed that www.3utelecom.co.uk are only charging 2 p / min at peak times for both 0845 and 0870, and 1 p at all other times. If this is true they would be the cheapest for these calls, but there is some doubt about this according to the embedded wording on their web site, and no one yet seems to have confirmed that they are actually being charged these low rates. In fact of course at those prices they would be making a loss after the Premiums were paid. However, it might be a loss leader I suppose?!!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2004 at 3:13am by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 2:27pm

Quote:
I've put together a a list of cheapest call providers I can find... Does anyone know of any that are cheaper??

niftylist does (e.g. for calls to mobiles @ 10p/minute at all times).

Then there's call1899 (e.g. calls to mobiles 2p/minute at weekends and 10p/minute at all other times).
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2004 at 2:28pm by Heinz »  
After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015

IP Logged

rickuk80

What happened to Customer
Service?

Birmingham
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 3:40pm

Cheers, I have added 1899 to the list. I thought they were the same as 18866 with a different min charge.

Rick

rickuk80  
IP Logged

shaunhoward

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 4:14pm

0845 & 0870 calls via 18866 gives very poor quality due to calls being routed out this country and then back in again - called 'boomeranging' I believe! The 3U 0845 has been suspended according to an email that I have received - they hope to resolve the problem soon and will email me when everything is OK. I have used their 0870 service but successful connections are infrequent, sound quality appauling and no indication of charges.

IP Logged

rickuk80

Service?

Birmingham
Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 5:20pm

I cant understand all these comments that 18866 / 1899 offer such a poor service. Even on 08's and 07's

I never get the engaged tone, always get through, and always have good call quality. Even to the extent that my friend is a presenter on a radio station too far away for me to pick up, so I called him and got him to put me on hold so I could hear his show.

rickuk80  
IP Logged

shaunhoward

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 9:10pm

Perhaps you do not make as many 0845 and 0870 calls as I do - I can only speak from my personal experience -
I get good sound from my end of the call but for some reason the person that I speaking to complains that I am 'breaking up'. Other calls are fine.

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2004 at 5:06pm

Quote:
Perhaps you do not make as many 0845 and 0870 calls as I do - I can only speak from my personal experience -
I get good sound from my end of the call but for some reason the person that I speaking to complains that I am 'breaking up'. Other calls are fine.

But 18866 charge:
4p/minute (at all times) for 0845 calls;
9p/minute (at all times) for 0870 calls.

Similarly, 1899 charge:
3p/minute (at all times) for 0845 calls;
7p/minute (at all times) for 0870 calls.

Surely it would be better (most of the time) to dial those calls on BT - where charges are:
3p/minute for 0845 calls (daytime Mon to Fri 8am-6pm) and
1p/minute (at all other times);

7.51p/minute for 0870 calls daytime Mon to Fri 8am-6pm;
3.75p/minute for 0870 calls evening & night-time Mon to Fri before 8am after 6pm;
1.50p/minute for 0870 calls weekend All Day Sat & Sun
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2004 at 9:19am by Heinz »  
After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015

IP Logged

shaunhoward

Reply #7 - Nov 6th, 2004 at 5:40pm

Yes. I found this out just a few hours ago - so I am changing the router to BT for 0845 & 0870 calls. Wink

IP Logged

rickuk80

Service?

Birmingham
Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 3:25pm

So..... Going back to my original question

Does anyone know of cheaper services than the ones I aleady have?

Rick  Grin

rickuk80  
IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2004 at 12:09am

Heinz,

Surely according to your own rates listed here that makes 1899 the cheapest during peak hours and BT the cheapest during off-peak hours? So although I always avoid using any of these numbers wherever possible, on the very rare occasion that I might have to call one (which is inevitably during peak time) I would use 1899.

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2004 at 9:23am

Quote:
Heinz,

Surely according to your own rates listed here that makes 1899 the cheapest during peak hours and BT the cheapest during off-peak hours? So although I always avoid using any of these numbers wherever possible, on the very rare occasion that I might have to call one (which is inevitably during peak time) I would use 1899.

You're right (well, re 0870 calls anyway - their rates are the same as BT on 0845 calls at peak times).

I missed that - above post now amended with green text highlighting those which appear to be the cheapest.

IP Logged

shaunhoward

Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2004 at 2:52pm

I can confirm - as I have had the bill in today - that 3U Telecom 12911 provide 0870 numbers at 0.017p per minute + VAT = 2p per minute. However, as I have said before - I find the sound quality terrible and connections take a while to get through as your call 'boomerangs' around the world.  No news from 3U as to the situation on 0845 numbers.

IP Logged

shaunhoward

Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2004 at 3:08pm

Following on from my previous posting, the 2p per minute charge for 0870 calls were for Daytime Calls. I have now spoken to 3U regarding 0845 numbers and they say that providing you have an account with them, then you can use an alternative access code being 1664 to access 0845 numbers at 2p per minute. Using 1664 without a 3U account will either not work or you will be charged at a higher rate. On testing the 1664 access code on just one call, I found the sound quality to be good.

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2004 at 9:17pm

Quote:
I've put together a a list of cheapest call providers I can find... Does anyone know of any that are cheaper??

Post here!

Cheers

Rick

Check out the table at:
www.nowherenearthegarden.com/calls

I think THIS is more likely to be kept up-to-date.

IP Logged

rickuk80

Service?

Birmingham
Reply #14 - Nov 10th, 2004 at 3:49pm

oh yes.. brilliant... i ALWAYS make ALL my calls during the day!

rickuk80  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge