Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is use of  0870 or Equiv. detected by recip (Read 20,353 times)
dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Re: Is use of  0870 or Equiv. detected by rec
Reply #15 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 7:39pm

If you look on the campaign site http://www.freeweb.telco4u.net/rachelf ; you will see why this might be. This is the latest trick being used with NGN Premium numbers other than 09; they are now having have automatic drop-out after a preset duration programmed as a standard feature! This is to increase their revenue generated.

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: Is use of  0870 or Equiv. detected by recip
Reply #16 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 9:08pm

Sometimes it might be that you don't have quite the same number as the one the 0870 number points to. Then they would certainly be suspicious!

IP Logged

copperbean

Hi it's Copperbean!!

Reply #17 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 9:14pm

Most companies operating a call centre will use call monitoring software.  The software normally logs the number of phone from where the call came.  It will not matter if you call them using a NGN or from a normal number.  If you block your number when you dial, then they will not have your number.  If you use a third party service, such as a calling card, it might possibly be different.

A little tip for when you complain.  As the call software records your number, you can always point this out to the company when they try to bluff you and claim that they have no record of your call.  Just tell them to run a search based on the number you have been calling from.  They will then be able to retrieve the call from their call system.  If this is as clear as mud, contact me and I will try to explain more clearly.

Regards

Copperbean

Smiley

Have a look at the copperbean website. www.copperbean.co.uk

IP Logged

Bal

Re: Is use of  0870 or Equiv. detected by rec
Reply #18 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 12:03am

Hi Chaps,

also tried calling Sky using the 01506 geographic number and  I got all the thank you for waiting bumpf and was then cut offf quite a bit later. This happened twice yet when I dialled the 0870 I got thought to CS person in under a minute. Definitely something didgy going on here. I am with talktalk so dialled without any prefixes.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #19 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 4:03pm

As I said, you can't be sure the number is exactly equivalent to the 0870 number. If you can't get through on the alternative, it could be outdated. Maybe they have several geographical lines, and the 0870 connects you to whichever one is least busy.

IP Logged

TonyB

Innocently looking to
save money!!!!

York
Reply #20 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 8:40pm

A friend of mine was told on the phone that she had won a hol for 2 & should ring an 0871 no. GLOBAL VACATIONS. The no. is listed with an 01268 geo no.
She tried this but was told to call the 0871 which I fear she did.
Does the person who supplied this alternative know what the underlying charge rate might be? 18866 could not connect. If as i suspect this is some scam can an early warning be in place where alternative is given?
Howcome there are only 1000 of us? Just shows what a docile lot we brits really are.
Tony. Undecided Embarrassed

IP Logged

TonyB

Innocently looking to
save money!!!!

York
Reply #21 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 8:49pm

I forgot to say that the 01268 did not "they said" deal with enquiries of this type, so the underlying no. is not the 0871 contact?
Tony (again)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge