Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Positive Action (Read 2,831 times)
charmi

No rip off

Positive Action
Nov 25th, 2004 at 3:29pm

From reading the postings it appears that there is very little that can be done to stop this invidious rip off via 0870 numbers. OFCOM have whimped out by accepting that firms can charge their rates but they can't advertise them as national rate.
I can ring New Zealand for 3p per min, I still have no answers as to why I have to apy 7p per min for a call in this country. Where is the co-ordinated lobbying of Parliament and OFCOM

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Re: Positive Action
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 10:06pm

Well the outlook is certainly bleak, but not without hope.  The only thing which will make any difference to Ofcom's present intended outcome is if larger than ever numbers of consumers complain about this scam to their MP, MEP, Edward Leigh MP (Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee),  Sir George Young MP, Norman Lamb MP and Derek Wyatt MP; and send in adverse responses to Ofcom's current 2 consultations before 7th January 2005. Above all it is important to emphasize the issue of call queuing, because this is what is the foundation of the resistance to take the proper regulatory action which is the remit of Ofcom. They and BT know that if all revenue-sharing were banned for all NGNs other than 09 it would be the end of the big money being made from call queuing. That is what is at the heart of this scam. 

So it is all up to consumers really. If they remain apathetic and few of them send consultation responses and few of them continue to complain - then nothing will change. It's all up to you consumers!!

[It could be presumed that if consumers were successful then the saynoto0870 site would die. However, I think even if consumers are not successful this site will also eventually loose its function, because:

1) Most subscribers (including individuals) still using normal telephone lines will then eventually change to using Premium numbers, until the whole system becomes Premium numbers only. 

2) Many companies, organisations and individuals will eventually be changing to VOIP so the issues will be different.

3) As companies become more savvy they will change their geographic numbers and not reveal them, or use terminations which have no equivalent geographic number, as some are already beginning to do. Individuals will also similarly become more cunning. When there is no equivalent geographic number to know or call it will not be possible to list them!

So in a sense I believe that this site is a relatively short-term campaign site?]

« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2004 at 11:36am by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge