Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
0845 etc (Read 15,968 times)
JLJ

Labradors Rule!

Liverpool
0845 etc
Nov 26th, 2004 at 11:21am

Hi there from a new member who has just joined today and already found two alternatives to 0845 numbers.

I have one question though,   with my phone company I pay a monthly fee and all geographic specific numbers are included.  So if I do have to dial other numbers such as 0845 I am charged.   Here is the question though   I have tried to find out from Telewest how much these calls are.   I can find no details on their site,  so rang them  only to be told it is not their policy to give out this information.

???   ???   ???

Has anyone any idea how I can find out the costs for such calls made via Telewest???
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2004 at 5:09pm by Forum Admin »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Re: 0845 etc
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 11:34am

This is part of the scam. Telcos hide the costs of these numbers in the small print, or even omit the costs and like yours try to avoid giving you a statement of their costs. Ofcom also does nothing to regulate this sort of behaviour, which is completely unacceptable. Some of them are not even clear that these numbers are not included in so called "inclusive" call packages, and wait for you find out!

The point is if they had nothing to hide they would not be indulging in these tactics!

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 11:44am

Full pricing is here. You may wish to save and print it. Be sure to check that it's the right tariff listing for you. It is quite straight forward to find on the Telewest site. Smiley

I quite agree with dorf. Ring again and speak to someone else, they may tell you. If not, go to Trading Standards, they may be able to advise and/or take action.

IP Logged

JLJ

Labradors Rule!

Liverpool
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 11:53am

Thanks for that,  I must need new glasses!   
Spent ages looking for it this morning.

Out of interest I rang Telewest again,  and was again told they would not give out the info.    So I asked why and was told it was company policy.  I asked if that was allowed and was told yes.     So I said that I would be checking with Trading Standards to see if this was correct.

Guess what....  they gave me the prices !

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 1:34pm

Quote:
I have one question though,   with my phone company I pay a monthly fee and all geographic specific numbers are included.  So if I do have to dial other numbers such as 0845 I am charged.   Here is the question though   I have tried to find out from Telewest how much these calls are.   I can find no details on their site,  so rang them  only to be told it is not their policy to give out this information.

So you are a Telewest customer and want to know the cost of a call you want to make on their system - and they REFUSE to tell you?

Incredible.

BTW, I'd advise a change if I were you (can you go back to BT?).  Looking at that pdf file, they're very expensive.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 3:01pm

I would advise speaking to Trading Standards on this one. Get them to ring up puporting to be a customer.

As for changing provider, I don't see how this saves money and improves sevice.

I would have expected a large company like Telewest not to rip off customers, but hey, money making is more important than anything else.

I do not believe in competition in essential public services (electricity, phone, rail etc.) because all you get (or at least with the way it works now) is companies trying to sell you things at over inflated prices. They cut back on preventative maintanence, the railways are a perfect example.

Take caller ID with BT, it's £1.75 per month!! Text messages cost (typically) 10p or even 12p! Does it cost them this much? They can then sell you 'bundles', creating the illusion that they are giving you something.

As for quality of service, how can we have the best? If, say you leave BT and go to Telewest because BT has treated you badly, that will not really improve BT, nor are you guaranteed better (or the best) service from Telewest.

If many customers leave BT, what happens to the network? Most of us need it, Ofcom don't seem to be bothered about ensuring it is maintained. When I choose my provider I don't have a choice about this.

If you do decide to go back to BT because of this, how much will it cost you? The savings you made when you went to Telewest, were they worth it with the upheaval caused by going back to BT? Also, if Telewest turns out to cost more now, would move away from them?

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 4:43pm

[quote author=Dave link=board=news;num=1101468098;start=0#5 date=11/26/04 at 15:01:51]
Take caller ID with BT, it's £1.75 per month!! Text messages cost (typically) 10p or even 12p! Does it cost them this much? They can then sell you 'bundles', creating the illusion that they are giving you something.

And what about Anonymous Call Rejection at £4.00 per month?

But, of course, the idea is to dissuade people from signing up to stop with-held sales calls - that would hurt the profits wouldn't it.

Come on Ofcom - one for the list?

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 7:44pm

Alot of "sales" calls I get, when you press 1471, you get an 0870 number that called.

To add to their profits, some people probably call back and get an automated message!!

These companies have already found a way around BT's anom call rejection!!

However, by encouraging customers to use the basic 1571, there's alot of customers paying BT's 1 hour plan of 5.5p per call, to keep trying to call someone.  An engaged tone, or nobody answering would result in no charges.  BT might think they're trying to give us enhanced services, but they're getting more money in through the back door to pay for these.

Some people would of course use free calls packages, or other carriers on their BT line, or maybe cable or mobile, but BT have a large market share, and a large percentage of wasted calls, get charged by BT.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 9:25am

[quote] A lot of "sales" calls I get, when you press 1471, you get an 0870 number that called.

When the CLI rules were originally written Premium Rate Services (PRS) and Personal Numbering on 070 were expressly excluded - to prevent scams.

Perhaps this is an area to include in the responses to Ofcom; that people should only have to return calls to 080, normal geographic, 056 for VoIP and so on, where the charge is more reasonable.

If Ofcom can use a normal geographic number then so can many other people. Now that switching and routing, such as The Samitans and so on use, is available on 084 then perhaps the time has come to remove the revenue share unless on PRS and exercise some control to protect the caller.

IP Logged

PeDaSp

Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 3:21pm

Dave - in reply to your comments...

"I do not believe in competition in essential public services (electricity, phone, rail etc.) because all you get (or at least with the way it works now) is companies trying to sell you things at over inflated prices".

I think you are too young to remember the old BT!! - and I am showing my age... But I can assure you that the present system with multiple telecos is infinitely superior both in price and service levels to the old BT monopoly. When I were a lad you could wait 2 to 3 months to have a line installed and you paid 0870 rates for ALL YOU CALLS. Remember - that is where the 0870 rates come from!!! - BT's standard rates! And you had no choice - you could take it or lump it.

And generally speaking, telco companies are not selling at over inflated prices. There is cut-throat competition in the market - with many companies loosing millions and with huge debts. Take a look at Telewest - they are £5,000,000,000 - that's 5 billion pounds sterling - in debt.

You have a free market - and YOU the consumer - are free to take your business elsewhere! Have to call a company on their 0870 number? Why bother - just take your business elsewhere.

Ironically it's the GOVERNMENT running "essential public services" such as pensions, welfare payments etc... who are using 0870 numbers - and we have no choice but to call them! No chance of a free market there!!!

If you do find a telco making huge profit please let me know and I will invest my savings in them!

"They cut back on preventative maintanence, the railways are a perfect exam"

The railways (contrary to popular opinion fueled by the media in seach of scare stories) are actually safer and safer as the years go by. Passenger deaths per mile traveled have decreased steadily and continue to do so.

Private companies have invested billions in cable infrastructure worldwide - and they will loose almost all of this as the business they expected has not materialised.

IP Logged

Flop

Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 10:20pm

I have probably lost the thread somewhere along the line but.....

Where it is shown, the phrase "National Call Rate" is used to describe 0870 and 0871 numbers.

BT now describe them as "premium rate services".

Is there any likelihood that  the real price of calls will have to be included for 0845,0870, 0871 etc as with 090 numbers?

IP Logged

PeDaSp

Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 12:11am

"Where it is shown, the phrase "National Call Rate" is used to describe 0870 and 0871 numbers"

...deep within the BT website at a very boring and badly designed page!

"BT now describe them as "premium rate services""

...can you confirm you have seen this on their webpage or in a publication? So far a guy from BT has only said this on radio.

"Is there any likelihood that  the real price of calls will have to be included for 0845,0870, 0871 etc as with 090 numbers?"

...possibley. Ofcom are looking at forcing 0870, 0845 & 0871 users to declare how much it cost to call these numbers. Alongside a geographical number if they have one.

IP Logged

Flop

Reply #12 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 8:33pm

I didn't believe it when I first saw it but:

"Calls to 0845 and 0870 premium rate services are charged at the following rates, shown in pence per minute, ( inc. VAT )"

It is  here.

Bt/pricing/residential/UK calls/uk Call prices.

Guess which bit of it surprised me Shocked  ?

flop

IP Logged

PeDaSp

Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 11:06pm

WOW! That's amazing...

I suspect that this is someone within BT who is not involved with the whole "scam" and is just describing what a BT subscriber has to pay to call these numbers. In their innocence they have described them as "premium rate" - as that is what they are!!

Once BT proper are made aware they will change it I bet!!

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 11:47am

Grteat. Thank you for the note. I have kept a couple of photocopies, just in case...

What a shame that the page does not mention the connection fee, sorry, minimum charge.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge