<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
NHS and 0870 (Read 35,585 times)
MrMagoo

Re: NHS and 0870
Reply #15 - Feb 1st, 2005 at 8:26pm

I spoke to my doctors about this and they raised an interesting point.

The NHS do not provide any money for the GP's to buy a telephone system, and if they didn't move to an 0870 they would have to spend money on a new phone system instead of patient care.

This make you think.  Is the real problem not the general run down of the NHS by the government ?

If the government wont pay, it's a simple question of :-

a) Does the GP spend the money on a phone system instead of paying a nurses salary for two years

or

b) Pay a nurses for two years and ask me to pay 24p extra to call the surgery.

In my eyes answer b wins.

p.s.  After speaking to my doctors I got the impresstion that the local newspaper were not really reporting the full story.  Typical BBC bias!

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2005 at 8:27pm by MrMagoo »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #16 - Feb 1st, 2005 at 8:33pm

What about all the other things that I understand the NHS buys for the GPs, like the premises under some circumstances?

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #17 - Feb 1st, 2005 at 8:40pm

An interesting point, but GPs are effectively running a business, very often at a high return.

Updating their telephone system is a normal running cost and should be covered by their profits.

NOT by their customers.

Why do they need to update their telephone system anyway, the only reason I can think of is that Mr Campbell of NEG has convinced them that they do.

We have no choice, even if we pay private health insurance, we have to contact the GP first.  And don't
they know it.

J

IP Logged

MrMagoo

Reply #18 - Feb 1st, 2005 at 8:56pm

Tanllan - If the government buys a building for a GP, and doesn't charge them rent and rates, I'd be surprised.  The NHS is short enough on money without buying buildings for GP's.  Look at the state of my local hospital.  Dates back to the 50's.

Juby - My doctors told me there old telephone system was 15 years old and on it's last legs.  If they done nothing, lives could of been at risk.

Look at it this way, If GP's earn so much, why is there a shortage of GP's in the UK currently ?

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #19 - Feb 1st, 2005 at 9:17pm

[quote author=MrMagoo  link=1106302022/15#18 date=1107291404]Tanllan - If the government buys a building for a GP, and doesn't charge them rent and rates, I'd be surprised.  The NHS is short enough on money without buying buildings for GP's.  Look at the state of my local hospital.  Dates back to the 50's.

Juby - My doctors told me there old telephone system was 15 years old and on it's last legs.  If they done nothing, lives could of been at risk.

Look at it this way, If GP's earn so much, why is there a shortage of GP's in the UK currently ?[/quote]This is irrelevant - new telephone system costs should be dealt with in a similar way to any other capital expenditure and factored into the running costs of the surgery. The problem with 0870 is that it is ALWAYS a rip-off to the customer. Secondly, the rip-off 0870 numbers are touted by companies such as NEG whose spokesmen *lie* to the public about the cost because they make significant profit, doing very little, due to the corrupt numbering system that Ofcom and its predecessor have created. What NEG is doing is a disgrace. It is shameful. It HAS to be stopped, and hopefully the Department of Health will make the NEG spokesmen realize that lying to the public is not a good idea. It would also be good to see NEG having to remove its expensive systems which will eat into its profits from rip-off 0870. NEG is exploiting the vulnerable and the sick. Ofcom could stop this but chooses not to.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #20 - Feb 1st, 2005 at 9:33pm

I didn't say that GPs earn too much, I was merely trying to point out that they are not on social security like many of their customers.

I agree that Alistair Campbell is "economical with the truth" in fact I heard him lying the other day on the BBC.

There is difference between doctoring the truth in order to put Mr Blair in the best possible light, that is called spin, but when you hear the man lying with your own ears, broadcast on BBC. Then he is.

J

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #21 - Feb 1st, 2005 at 10:28pm

The following was posted by Juby in a separate thread:

General Medical Council
Regent’s Place, 
350 Euston Road,
London 
NW1 3JN

IP Logged

iMutley

Sussex
Reply #22 - Feb 1st, 2005 at 10:37pm

I was interested in the post by Mr Magoo. Much of it is word for word from the hand-out lying about in my Group Practice surgery - supplied by NEG! Nuff said.

IP Logged

bill
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 9:18am

Quote:
I was interested in the post by Mr Magoo. Much of it is word for word from the hand-out lying about in my Group Practice surgery - supplied by NEG! Nuff said.

Freudian wording there iMutley (...
lying about
...)!

Incidentally, has anybody else noticed that the BT website has been updated and peak rate 0870 calls, which used to be listed as being 7.91p/minute incl. VAT, are now shown as being at 7.
1p/minute incl. VAT?

P.S. I have altered my most on the first page of this thread to reflect that.
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2005 at 9:20am by bill »  

IP Logged

one

Reply #24 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 1:27pm

Perhaps more interestingly they refer to them as premium rate numbers:

Calls to 0845 and 0870 premium rate services are charged at the following rates, shown in pence per minute, ( inc. VAT )

Daytime   Evening  Weekend 
0845  3.00 1.00 1.00
0870  7.51 3.75 1.50
0870 09  4.95 2.49 2.00
0870 187  4.95 2.49 2.00
0870 188  4.95 2.49 2.00

see: http://www.bt.com/btcom_redirectLink.jsp?action=redirectLink&targetLinkID=PIS_UK...

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #25 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 9:24pm

It is not really relevant to our point that BT has reduced the cost of 0870 calls by 0.05 pence per minute, it just provides an argument for the nit pickers.

The fact is that the cost of ringing your doctor has gone up by anything from 500% upwards. The doctors know about this but they "slide it under the carpet" because they know that they have not had to lash out on a new telephone exchange.

We need to get to the those GPs who have not signed up with Campbell.

These GPs are the vast majority of doctors, some of whom are as vehemently against the NEG as we are.

I know it has all been done before, but I wrote to the GMC today asking for their support.

J

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #26 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 10:26pm

Quote:
I spoke to my doctors about this and they raised an interesting point.

The NHS do not provide any money for the GP's to buy a telephone system, and if they didn't move to an 0870 they would have to spend money on a new phone system instead of patient care.

Most GP's surgeries are self-managed, with responsibility for working out their own budget.

The NHS probably did not specifically predicate funding on any small detail you could think of - blinds or curtains, seating, white lines in the car park, ...

Your doctors are being disingenuous in avoiding acknowledgement of their responsibility for this decision.

I bet this company is certainly not the supplier of the best value phone system anyway - they spent 4 years developing it; what on earth were they doing all that time?

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #27 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 11:00pm

Quote:
- they spent 4 years developing it; what on earth were they doing all that time?

Trying to sell it to sceptical GPs? And eventually someone said yes.

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #28 - Feb 3rd, 2005 at 11:06am

There are two kinds of GPs excluding locums.

There are self-employed GPs who are independent contractors to the NHS.  They are runing businesses and mostly operate as Group practices employing a practice manager as well as other staff. They pay their expenses (e.g. premises, telephone, cleaning, utilities, stationery, etc.) but their expenses are reimbursed to them directly or indirectly by the NHS.

There are also salaried GPs whose salary is in the order of £60,000.  Numerous Primary Care Trusts advertise for salaried GPs at this salary level, e.g. Heart of Birmingham, see link: http://www.bpcssa.nhs.uk/Vacancy/JobFiles/JD2189.doc.

One can safely assume that the self-employed GPs have a higher net income than the salaried ones even after accounting for their expenses.

GPs are therefore not on the breadline as some of their, especially older, patients may be.  There is no denying that most of the GPs work very hard and I for one do not grudge them their income.

What is shameful though that they should seek to supplement their income, and generate income for the 0870 service providers, at the expense of their patients.  It may be that many of them have been duped by the likes of NEG and are not fully aware of the implications of switching to the 0870 system.

If making appointments is an essential part and precursor to treatment, and GPs derive a financial benefit from the process through their 0870 numbers, then they are also in breach of their contracts with the NHS which prohibits them from charging patients for treatment.

IP Logged

pelham9

Reply #29 - Feb 3rd, 2005 at 8:15pm

"The NHS do not provide any money for the GP's to buy a telephone system, and if they didn't move to an 0870 they would have to spend money on a new phone system instead of patient care. "

Do not be fooled by that nonsense.

Gps get a perfectly adequate payment each year from the NHS to provide all necessary premises and tools for patient care. Anything that they make on 0870 numbers will go into their own pockets.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge