Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Calls to/from Costa Rica and South America (Read 11,034 times)
lily

Calls to/from Costa Rica and South America
Feb 27th, 2005 at 8:18am

My student son is at present in Costa Rica and will then travel to South America (probably Ecuador, Peru and Chile).  Does anyone have ideas about the cheapest way for him to phone home?  Buying a card in the country is not an option (he is very short of cash and anyway will probably not be in any one country for long enough to use the credit on the card).

IP Logged

reggie

Re: Calls to/from Costa Rica and South America
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 9:30am

I imagine email would be the best way to communicate. Your son could possibly email you as to his whereabouts at a particular time and you could 'phone him using either 18866 or 1899.

IP Logged

lily

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 6:42pm

My son called yesterday.  I told him I would call him back, but the phone he was using would not accept international calls!  I will have to persuade him to spend some of his own money and buy a card locally!  I knew that reverse charge calls were expensive, but I did not realise quite how much they cost.

IP Logged

Gumtree

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 6:47pm

There is a new service for international calls available at www.cheapercallrate.com they have what seems to be the best of all worlds, an excellent quality line and fixed prices 24/7 no peak and off peak no extra numbers to dial (you give them the international number and they change it to a UK (0844) number) or boxes to attach, no extra bill (goes on your BT (or whoever) bill) Have a look, I've used it for the USA and Australia 2p a minute inc Vat, no connection charge, no sign up or monthly fees.

And no I'm not selling it just offering it up for your perusal. Gummy.

IP Logged

bill

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 7:01pm

Quote:
There is a new service for international calls available at www.cheapercallrate.com they have what seems to be the best of all worlds, an excellent quality line and fixed prices 24/7 no peak and off peak no extra numbers to dial (you give them the international number and they change it to a UK (0844) number) or boxes to attach, no extra bill (goes on your BT (or whoever) bill) Have a look, I've used it for the USA and Australia 2p a minute inc Vat, no connection charge, no sign up or monthly fees.

There are a good few firms offering that sort of service (some at half the price you quote too).

Have a look at the MoneySavingExpert CallChecker.

IP Logged

Gumtree

Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 8:07pm

Quote:
There are a good few firms offering that sort of service (some at half the price you quote too).

Have a look at the MoneySavingExpert CallChecker.

Not so, I've been looking out for a firm to do this for some considerable time and none compare favourably in ALL respects to this. Gummy

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 11:47am

Surely a mobile with text messaging would be the most economic communication? If he does not have one with him he might be able to pick one up cheaply there and get a local SIM card.

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

lily

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 10:36pm

He did not take his mobile with him as.  My understanding was that the only mobiles that work in all the countries he plans to visit would be (very expensive) quad band ones.  I have bought a travel phone card from Lonely Planet, which should enable him to call home from most countries.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2005 at 5:11pm

Or if he had a mobile often a local SIM card may give cheaper call costs?

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 11:51pm

8) 8) 8)

First Telecom. Residential Top and Talk service allows you to call from Chile and Columbia to UK for 25p a minute.

BJ.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge