Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BT Makes Sleeping Time Part of Weekday PeakTime (Read 25,551 times)
lavillegour

We'll All Be Dead in 100
Years !

Re: BT Makes Sleeping Time Part of Weekday PeakTim
Reply #15 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 8:37pm

Dear Non Geo Man,

I feel I must be missing something here. Please put me right !

When I read your post about that company 3u Telecom I was a bit taken aback. My little (sozzled) brain said to itself : Well isn't that the answer. All we(or they) do is advertise a service provider such as 3utelecom and ALL of the captive Joe's (Joe Public) can merely register with them and place ALL calls to 0870 numbers through them. Simple What ? Logically the inevitable result would be that for example the DVLC would lose it's £1.2 billion 'profit'  etc etc .

Please do put me right. I know this is too simple. I did actually email 3utelecom and they confirmed that although they are unable to offer connection to 0845 numbers (Why ?) the cost of calls to 0870 numbers was (as you said) 2p per min peak time and 1p per minute off peak time.

Look Old Non Geo. I admit to being a bit of an old sceptic and an anti authoritarian 'sod' but isn't this extremely important information ? Aren't we all (mostly )here to stop the advance of greedy 0870 users. Don't we feel that we are helpless against a monopoly position supported by a useless jobsworth group of civil servants known as OFCOM ?

PLEASE PUT ME RIGHT I WON'T SLEEP TONIGHT. Surely if some 'little' set-up called 3utelecom can bypass the money making system then that is the end of the money making system ?

Come on Non Geo. Knock me down (I probably deserve it).

You obviously KNOW what you are emailing about. Please explain. Can't we see the wood for the trees or do we just enjoy the chase ? (bit like foxhunting really..)

Lavillegour

ps I felt when typing this that it should really become a new thread because it does SEEM to be the answer! A bit unworldly Eh ?

IP Logged

pud

Reply #16 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 9:08pm

Sorry, it's not the answer for me.

I don't want to pay 2p (or 1p) per minute for my calls, I want to continue paying 1p per call.  That is what I pay at the moment (on 18866) to call any UK 01 or 02 number.

That is why I want all those using 0844, 0845, 0870 and 0871 numbers to be forced to revert to using or disclosing their 01 or 02 numbers as well.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2005 at 9:31pm by pud »  

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #17 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 9:25pm

Quote:
I want to continue paying 1p per call.

Please be more specific, are you paying one penny a minute for 0870 calls?

If so who with?

IP Logged

lavillegour

We'll All Be Dead in 100
Years !

Reply #18 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 10:32pm

Pud, Forgive me but .......

It's that sort of extreme position that'll get us nowhere at all !

It is not an injustice to pay a reasonable amount for phone calls.

1 pence per minute for ALL calls is certainly unrealistic.

If you shoot for the moon and miss you'll get the stars -but not reasonable and acceptable prices.

Keep extremism out .Go for a reasonable consensus.. You are unlikely to win with too cheapskate an attitude !

lavillegour

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 10:58pm

Quote:
Please be more specific, are you paying one penny a minute for 0870 calls?

If so who with?

No he is obviously only paying 1p per call with call18866 whenever he can to call a geographic number wherever possible and so avoids calling the 0870 numbers.  But he still has to pay 2p per minute to 3U for 0870 that is if he can actually get 3U to connect his 0870 calls reliably (something that is rather in doubt here although I have no personal experience) and at least 7p per minute with any other uk call carrier.

His point is that if we had a geographic number for everything we wouldn't need to try to route them with 3U because we could then use 18866 or an all inclusive calling plan like BT Option 3 for all uk fixed line calls.

But for instance BBC Information and BBC Reception Advice in BELLFAAAAAAST (as the Capita staff with the very uneducated and highly regional broad local accents like to pronounce it) cannot be contacted on a geographic number because the geographic numbers are apparently held in a safe on the BBC's behalf at Fort Knox Grin (Mr Ian Stuart, Capita's IT manager who does probably actually know the geographic numbers also seems unable to disclose them to us on pain of death or at least the certainty of summary and instant dismissal from his job with no compensation).  But who knows may be someone can now prize the geographic numbers for BBC Information (more like BBC Haven't Got A Clue in my experience) out of the BBC main board under the Freedom of Information Act?

Alternatively why not cut out the BBC Information 0870 type nonsense altogether and simply get the names of their main executive staff off the BBC website and then email them at firstname.surname@bbc.co.uk  A read receipt request will also confirm that the emails are then being read by the well paid and skilled labour in London with some actual influence on the BBC's long term policy direction?

The problem with 3UTelecom is that they want a signature posted to them and want to send manual bills to me with no direct debit facility.  This is because they are a cautious old bunch of Germans who have not yet caught up with 21st century banking methods.

And since I don't call more than a handfull of 0870s a month it just isn't worth it for me as I simply don't have monthly billing relationshis with people who don't do direct debit.  I am away from home for a while quite often and the consequences in penalty charges for late bill payment will undoubtedly more than offset any so called "saving" on 0870 calls that might be made with them.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 12:48am

Quote:
Dear Non Geo Man,

I feel I must be missing something here. Please put me right !

When I read your post about that company 3u Telecom I was a bit taken aback. My little (sozzled) brain said to itself : Well isn't that the answer.

Dear Lavillegour,

It would of course be the answer, more or less (other than for those who even begrudge paying 1p a minute less for 0870 calls than the BT Option 1 national daytime rate or of course those on BT Option 3 and equivalent "all inclusive"?! uk calls packages) except for a few salient points about 3U.

Firstly they are extremely small beer here and their uk telephone number normally leads to an answerphone with a promise someone will call you back.  You then get a call back from their many times larger head office in Germany from a German who speaks almost perfect idiomatic English (not Indian Call Centre no speaka da English).

But then in answer to my phoned question as to why I couldn't I sign up on line with them like 18866 the answer is sorry we don't do that facility and we need you to print out a form and sign it and fax it to us.  Also we need a copy of your latest BT bill faxed to us to prove you are who you are say you are (you will note the use of the ancient dictionary word fax here a normally almost exitinct species of activity these days but something that I'm afraid is still de rigour for fusty old Germanic 3U).  So they want your signature and  they want a copy of your BT bill for a few lousy pounds a month of phone calls whose cost price to them is almost nil.  I mean do they actually want all this to commit identity fraud or something?

Then the next blow is the news that there is no direct debit facility.  They want to send you a bill and for you to send them a cheque by post with your own stamp.   I mean have we entered a time warp here and returned to 1979 or something.   On complaining they think that you could possibly set up a manual ebanking payment facility and then remember to go and pay them monthly by the due date.  Of course as they are totally paper oriented perhaps the electronic payment will probably simply disappear down a German ebanking blackhole and they will send you late payment extra fees for £25 or whatever.  May be that is how they can afford to offer 0870 calls for a nominal 2p per minute - kowing that they will be able to fine almost all their customers for late payment.

I don't think that any of the above is probably really true and more likely the Germans are still 8 years behind re ebanking and also its probably actually the case that either the 0870 calls are costing them 5.5p a minute but as they have so few uk customers they haven't yet worked it out or it is a loss leader to get new customers or possibly they really have found a way to bypass the 5.5p termination charge they should have to pay for 0870 calls in the weekday daytime (possibly by routing the call to say Pitcairn Island by VOIP and then back by telephony).

So in short give it a go if you feel its worth the pain and let me know how many 0870 calls connect and how the billing situation goes.  But for me and most people here this is sadly why 3u are not the answer.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2005 at 12:51am by N/A »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #21 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 9:03am

I agree. I attempted the 3U process to register and gave up!

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #22 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 5:05pm

When I read your post about that company 3u Telecom I was a bit taken aback. My little (sozzled) brain said to itself : Well isn't that the answer. All we(or they) do is advertise a service provider such as 3utelecom and ALL of the captive Joe's (Joe Public) can merely register with them and place ALL calls to 0870 numbers through them. Simple What ? Logically the inevitable result would be that for example the DVLC would lose it's £1.2 billion 'profit'  etc etc .

I don't think companies using 0870 will lose their revenue, if you call them via 3utelecom.

What is more likely the case, is that as mentioned by someone else, 0870 is a loss leader, but such a small part of their business, that they haven't bothered to charge more yet.

It is possibly quite feasable to get your own 0870 number paying 3p per minute, 2 phone lines, one of which is signed up to 3u.  Phone yourself on your 0870 number, and get 3p per minute, which would equate to 60p per hour for the time you want to call yourself.  Those that work 9-5 can do it when they leave for work, and hang up when they return!!

I work nights, and such a system would be just as efficient as my current system of unplugging the phone when I get home from work so I can sleep!!

Just remember, a few years ago mobile phone companies still allowed inclusive minutes to call 0870 numbers, and of course until recently BT payphones, but when enough people took advantage of this loss leader, the mobile phone companies had to think again.

Anyway, back to the original subject of this post.  Although it won't affect too many people starting the day at 6am, instead of 8am, if not enough people kick up a stink about this, then the next step is to start the evening at 8pm!!

This would be far worse, as many people wait till 6pm to phone friends and family in the evening using off peak call packages, and sometimes get in touch with call centres who stay open till 8pm!!

Also, do 0870 providers now pay their clients the daytime rate for 6am-8am use.  If not, do the providers themselves get this extra revenue to pass on or keep.  If they don't then BT make alot more on those people wanting to phone call centres just before setting off to work!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #23 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 5:15pm

Quote:
Also, do 0870 providers now pay their clients the daytime rate for 6am-8am use.  If not, do the providers themselves get this extra revenue to pass on or keep.  If they don't then BT make alot more on those people wanting to phone call centres just before setting off to work!!

Good point, and this would be one reason why all (originating) providers must (or in practice will) have the same peak/off-peak time bands. Another point to the telcos.

Yet another change made in front of Ofcom's eyes.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #24 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 7:11pm

Quote:
Just remember, a few years ago mobile phone companies still allowed inclusive minutes to call 0870 numbers, and of course until recently BT payphones, but when enough people took advantage of this loss leader, the mobile phone companies had to think again.

I think the real reason is that the price of mobile calls has fallen past the point where they could fund 0870 calls. 6 years ago 25p per minute was common on contracts. But it's not impossible now - you have to get a bit more info. Look up http://www.simply-fone.com

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #25 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 8:45pm

Shiggaddi has a good point. Once this wedge starts the next thing if they get away with the first extension will be to again extend the "daytime" rate period to 0700 hrs - 2100 hrs! there is no stopping this type of profiteering if the "regulator" is sleeping!

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #26 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 3:26pm

It just reaffirms my concerns that the current "competition" is doing nothing to reduce prices. On the contrary, BT is pushing up call costs and Ofcom is happy with that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge