Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Glossary of terms used on site (Read 3,686 times)
Alternative

Glossary of terms used on site
Mar 15th, 2005 at 2:25am

It would be really good if a comprehensive list of terms could be published with their meaning.  I am fairly new to this site and I have noticed terms like 'NTS' & 'CPS' being used, but don't know what they mean.

I really enjoy reading the postings but in order to follow the arguements need to know what these technical terms mean.

Could someone do a comprehensive glossary?

Thank-You

IP Logged

GrahamH

Re: Glossary of terms used on site
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 11:33pm

I agree, but as the telecoms industry set out to use meaningless jargon and deliberately create confusion at every opportunity, it would need to be on at least 2 levels

eg

CPS:   stands for:              Carrier Pre-selection,                         which actually means: having a BT line but using another cheaper company for all your calls, automatically without having to dial a funny code or stick a gizmo into your phone socket

NTS:   stands for:             Number Translation Services,                         which actually means: Consumer dials one number (usually 084/087) but the call goes to another (a proper 01/02 number). Consumer pays extra compared to dialling the 01/02 number, but gets no benefit.  On the back of the profits, inept OFCOM officials get promoted onto European regulatory bodies for "serving consumers' interests," and get bought loads of beers by their mates in the banking and telecoms industry

CLI:   stands for:             Caller Line Identification,                         which actually means: If you pay extra to BT you can see the number of the person calling you

OFCOM:   stands for:             absolving itself of its obligations to consumers,                         which actually means: telecoms companies get a hard time and aren't allowed to rip consumers off - but only in a parallel universe to which no-one but Steven Carter has access

What's the point of 0845? Local rate my ar$e. Usually MORE than Inverness to Penzance on normal nos. Occasionally the same, never less!&&&&OFCOM - A Truly Great Regulator, if you're out to gouge consumers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge