juby

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Re: You and Yours
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 1:40pm

I don't understand juby? Is that good or bad?

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 5:21pm

I would have thought that anything which gives publicity to the amount charged by dialing that number is good for our cause.

Especially if it is on Y&Y.

Basically it was Peter White rebelling against his employers, not the first time.

juby

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 5:59pm

OK, thanks juby. I agree that all publicity about the abuse of 0870s etc. is good for our cause, but just to state that "0870 ... Around 8 p per minute" I think does not do much for the cause? Anyone listening would still not understand what this scam is about?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 6:06pm

Quote:
OK, thanks juby. I agree that all publicity about the abuse of 0870s etc. is good for our cause, but just to state that "0870 ... Around 8 p per minute" I think does not do much for the cause? Anyone listening would still not understand what this scam is about? 

No, but can you sum up the whole scam in a couple of words? Obviously not.

So mention of a rough price is better than nothing. The price of any number varies according to provider. Hopefully this sort of pricing information will help promote the numbers for what they are; premium rate.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 6:31pm

But that's my point Dave. Just stating the price does not in any way show that they are Premium numbers!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 6:37pm

Quote:
But that's my point Dave. Just stating the price does not in any way show that they are Premium numbers!

But, by definition, they are premium rate as they cost more to call than geographical landlines! I think it is fair to assume that the destination is a fixed landline.

To quote a price which, in general, is the same across different providers, it is also fair to assume that they are premium rate.

I agree with you, whether they cost 1p or £1.50, they are premium rate as the called party benefits. But the cost of the call itself is the most important thing, a point which many 090 providers make, but don't always state that they benefit.

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 9:24pm

I think a word of explanation is needed here.

Firstly, You and Yours is a BBC Radio Programme which is broadcast on weekdays at 12.04pm daily. It is one hour long. I do not know what the listening figures are but it has been in the same spot for years and ....

It is without any doubt our biggest ally in the broadcast media. They have run four programmes on the subject, (all against) much of it about the subject of Doctor's surgeries and 0870.

They are as much responsible as this site is for the ban on the same. (I hear you say.... no - no!)

Peter White is a very respected contributor to the programme and has been against 0870 from the start even though the programme use the number itself.

I merely reported what I heard today, minutes after I heard it.

I thought it was worth reporting at the time, I still do.

juby

IP Logged

one

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 4:40pm

Happened to have the radio on at 12 noon today when You and Yours started they had an article about something and then gave out their telephone number it started 0800 does this mean they have changed their number/policy or was this a special occasion?

IP Logged

bill

Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 4:58pm

Quote:
Happened to have the radio on at 12 noon today when You and Yours started they had an article about something and then gave out their telephone number it started 0800 does this mean they have changed their number/policy or was this a special occasion?
It's good news if it's a change of policy but, although I've heard them being slated for giving out 0870 numbers before, they've always had a freephone number as well:

0800 044 044

IP Logged

GrahamH

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 12:56pm

You and Yours confirmed today that the program's 0800 number applies every day. The exception is for "Call You and Yours" day when you have to use 0870, but in defence they said they would call you straight back to minimise the cost.

This came at the end of another supportive piece about the iniquity of 0870.

Basically they came out and backed the position that 0870 and 0845 should be charged the same as national and local rates.

Various comments were made about Government procurement being completely taken in by the providers and not even negotiating the taxpayers a cut of the shareable revenue!!!!

They interviewed Paul Tyler (North Cornwall MP), who seems to have got about 50 MPs to support him. Although the opportunity was missed to highlight the bigger 084/087 problem - he ignored the fact that the new 0844 numbers for doctors' surgeries won't be much cheaper than 0870.

To me, there seems to be three main issues which still need to be communicated clearly:

1. The problem covers 0844 and 0871, as well as 0845 and 0870

2. The problem centres around the exclusion of these numbers from call packages, not just government or public bodies' use of them

3. Contributors to this forum have said that number diversion (eg to various call centres around the country) can be done with a piece of electronic kit, without the need for an 087/084 number. How much and from whom? As this is one of the most common defences used by companies and govt departments.

Does anyone know when OFCOM is going to publish its plan, if ever?

(edited to correct MP's name)
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2005 at 3:28pm by GrahamH »  

What's the point of 0845? Local rate my ar$e. Usually MORE than Inverness to Penzance on normal nos. Occasionally the same, never less!&&&&OFCOM - A Truly Great Regulator, if you're out to gouge consumers

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 1:13pm

It can be done with a disparate piece of electronic kit termed a "Diverter", but that is no longer now necessary. With modern digital exchanges this and many other functions may be easily done at the exchange to any normal geographic number.

IP Logged

GrahamH

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 1:21pm

Hi dorf

Thanks for this - so do they just contact BT (or whoever)to have the calls diverted?

What's the point of 0845? Local rate my ar$e. Usually MORE than Inverness to Penzance on normal nos. Occasionally the same, never less!&&&&OFCOM - A Truly Great Regulator, if you're out to gouge consumers

IP Logged

kk

Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 2:21pm

It is becoming apparent that the government and its agencies are being ripped off as well as callers.  087x and 084x numbers are aggressively marketed by telecom providers using misleading information. 

All numbers can be routed in the exchange.  United Utilities (North West Water) has an 0845 number. I telephoned the equivalent (01) Warrington  numbers; this was answered in India.

KK

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 8:33pm

My original post was to defend Y&Y.

What have you who knocked Y&Y got to say now?

I got an e-mail form Ottelo this morning. And a sort of an apology.

It gave me all their geog. numbers.

Come on guys We have won!!

Celebrate

Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge