Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carphone warehouse scam (Read 8,148 times)
fortunecooky6

Nam Myoho renge kyo

Carphone warehouse scam
Mar 30th, 2005 at 3:44pm

Tongue
Please be aware of the free calls from Carphone warehouse.  I merely asked for the contract documents to be sent to me.  After having read the small print, I realised it was a scam and so I told them in writing that I did not want to go ahead.  They confirmed this in writing.

Nevertheless, a month later I started getting bills, even though I never signed anything or used their service. I complained and Customer Services apologised.  But four months later, a debt collection agency from Glasgow started harassing me for £69-00 with strange letters and phone calls.  I wrote to them twice but the harassment continued until this Easter weekend when they called me again and said they would 'visit' me.  I have now asked Carphone Warehouse for  £320-00 in my time costs. They apologised for the mistake but refuse to pay up.  I will be reporting this to Ofcom.

But beware, of Carephone Warehouse deals- do not even ask for their literature. My husband has a mobile deal with them and also suffered similarly for months.

IP Logged

bill

Re: Carphone warehouse scam
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 4:00pm

They're the TalkTalk people and the ones Sainsbury's re-sell as well IIRC.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 2:54pm

I presume you are on about Talk Talk!When you say its a scam exactly what do you mean. I used it before 18866 and i got free calls and cheaper calls as published in there tariffs. Agencies also sell the product for CPW and its sounds like some irresponsible person just signed you up without your sayso.Surely you must have had some bills before the Glasgow Mafia became involved.CPW normally send out a couple of reminders before they refer it to Debt Collection!!!!!

BJ.

IP Logged

fortunecooky6

Nam Myoho renge kyo

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 6:44pm

Grin
It is a scam for people who may want to make international calls, for connection charges, bills etc.  It is not exactly free as they like to make it- the hidden charges will differ from person to person. That is why I cancelled after reading the small print.  The telesales people are very pushy and convinced me that it was the best option for me.  But the best option for me has turned out to be 1899 for weekdays and Onetel for weekends- my phone bills have gone down from £125-00 quarter to £32-00 per quarter !  This includes rental charges, and all calls including international ones which I make quite regularly.  With Carphone TalkTalk, this would have been at least 150-00 per quarter, even more than what I was paying with BT.

So examine your telephone bills, where you make calls to and for how long and then sign up. My husband was caught up in their so called cheap mobile calls which turned out not be very cheap when all the connection charges etc were billed.  Unfortunately he is now caught up in the contract and cannot go elsewhere.  SO BEWARE !

Anyway, Carphone Warehouse have now settled on a £200-00 payment this afternoon after I told them I was going to Ofcom.  There must be some guilt there somewhere !

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 9:34pm

I also have had difficulties with Carphone Warehouse, but via their mobile division - FRESH.

I had to cancel my mobile FRESH account, because even when I made no calls at all they were automatically debiting my account balance and then when that was down to zero they carried on debiting my credit card every month as well. I deliberately had to stop making any calls to catch them at it. I had begun to suspect something was wrong since my balance kept going down at a much faster rate than it should have done for the calls I was making and the top-ups which I therefore also had to keep making. I had three FRESH accounts, one for me and two for other members of my family. The same thing was happening with all three accounts. It was like a sink with the tap running and the plug being removed! My cash just kept flowing down the sink.

I got a Vodafone account and compared the difference, with the same call pattern. Although the declared call rate was much higher (25p per minute instead of 10 p per minute) the same calls were actually costing me much less with Vodafone, since I was only being charged the correct amounts.

So I would suggest you check your Carphone Warehouse billing and charging rather carefully. They have still not replied to my repeated queries and complaints about this. I think they just hope I will give up and go away?

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

fortunecooky6

Nam Myoho renge kyo

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 11:06am

Lips Sealed
I think you ought to complain- and fast !  If the costs exceed £100-00 the credit card company is also liable.  Carphone Warehouse says on it website " that they are committed to providing outstanding customer service"  So let them show you what they mean !!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge